Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Oil level

Invisible_Man
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Oil level

Post by Invisible_Man on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 11:35 am

Hey, 
When checking the oil on every bike and car I've had I've always kept the oil topped up to the max level. I've never had a problem..... In fact my car is just about to reach 120K and still going strong and the CB125 saw 45K before we sold it. 

I was speaking to a guy at work who suggested this is bad for a bikes engine and the level should be kept between the lower and upper limits. 

Personally I can't see it making much difference if any at all. Surely max means just that... The maximum amount of oil you should put in before your overfilling it. 

Oil changed the CB yesterday and as always filled to the top of the cross hatching. 

What do you guys think? 

IM
geoffnorfolk
Godly
Godly

Re: Oil level

Post by geoffnorfolk on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 11:42 am

I can't see it making any difference either........ I would have thought there was a much greater chance then of then running the bike with the oil too low in the future if you don't check it that often.... like myself!  I wonder what his theory was?
Invisible_Man
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Invisible_Man on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 11:48 am

Hey, 
He's a Mr Know it all and a bit of a bs'er. Tuned his Harley to do 170MPH etc
Cheers, 
IM
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 12:24 pm

Up to the max should be fine. That's what I do on my CB.

Interesting, the manual on my Beemer says fill to half way between. I guess they're worried people might overfill it.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 12:30 pm

@Invisible_Man wrote:Hey, 
Cheers, 
IM
That's a relatively easy 'tune' to do. All it takes is changing the gearing in the speedo drive Razz

As for oil level, Haynes states to fill half way between levels. The only reasons I can think for not filling it to the top is the possibility it may expand with differing temperatures (I'd have thought Mr Honda would have taken that into account in design though) or the more likely fact that it's alot easier to put more oil in than take some out if you accidentally overfill.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 12:42 pm

You would really have to overfill it to do any damage, It would blow it out into the airbox until it finds a level that it's happy with. I fill mine to the max, I used to worry about it but there's no need.
Too little oil is a recipe for disaster.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 12:42 pm

You're alright with yer levels. I think you knew anyway.... As long as there's oil in it, innit.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 12:46 pm

@ANDYC wrote:You would really have to overfill it to do any damage, It would blow it out into the airbox until it finds a level that it's happy with. I fill mine to the max, I used to worry about it but there's no need.
Too little oil is a recipe for disaster.

That reminds me of what we used to tell customers at Draganfly Motorcycles who asked about how much (and what....) oil to put in their primary cases; fill it up til it pisses out, bike will find its level!
geoffnorfolk
Godly
Godly

Post by geoffnorfolk on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 12:50 pm

Cheers, 
IM

I think he means 170KPH!!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:38 pm

@ashcroc wrote:

As for oil level, Haynes states to fill half way between levels. The only reasons I can think for not filling it to the top is the possibility it may expand with differing temperatures (I'd have thought Mr Honda would have taken that into account in design though) or the more likely fact that it's alot easier to put more oil in than take some out if you accidentally overfill.

I'm pretty sure they just say that to stop people over filling it and then wandering how to to take it out again (easy on a motorcycle - you can use a big syringe or an old chicken/turkey baster to suck it out!)

You *can* do damage by putting too much in, but as Andy said it has to be *a lot* too much.... it's definitely better to fill it to the max line, especially if your bike uses a bit of oil between services...
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:53 pm

I think over filling is a major issue with catalytic converters in that oil can makes it way to the cat and knacker it. Not an issue with the CB. The other thing is if the oil level is too high the crank can aerate the oil causing all sorts of uselessness which would be a problem for the CB. I am sure that that would happen miles over the max mark though. 

I can't imagine when an engineer was asked to select the point to place the max mark, he decided to do it at a point where it will cause engine damage.

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Feb 2016, 8:09 pm

Logic would have it that min and max are to be avoided because they are approaching the limits. So halfway would be the best. However, if engines tend to loose a bit of oil perhaps halfway between halfway and max is ideal... whatever, just mumbling, never mind. Max is fine and min is fine but no more nor less.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 29 Feb 2016, 8:38 pm

Well ive had loads of hondas over the years, but with hondas with the dip stick like the cb put bike on centre stand , take out dipstick clean with rag put in dipstick hole but dont screw in put it in as far as it go , have up to max level on dip stick. Not to max  level screwed in!  I was shown this by bike mechanic when i collected my grey jap import honda xlr 250 baja  from bike shop way back in the day Embarassed showing my age now
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:59 pm

yep that's the way I have always done it since 1977 way back when I first got my  fs1e Smile
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 01 Mar 2016, 12:48 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Well ive had loads of hondas over the years, but with hondas with the dip stick like the cb put bike on centre stand , take out dipstick clean with rag put in dipstick hole but dont screw in put it in as far as it go , have up to max level on dip stick. Not to max  level screwed in!  I was shown this by bike mechanic when i collected my grey jap import honda xlr 250 baja  from bike shop way back in the day :oops: showing my age now

It was good that he even showed you. Nowadays they'd be trying to get you to bring it back to them so they can top up the oil and charge you for the privilege!
Invisible_Man
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Invisible_Man on Tue 01 Mar 2016, 1:10 pm

Hey, 
Thanks for all the replies....... Trust me if there's something to worry about I'll be the one to worry about it lol 
Cheers, 
IM
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 01 Mar 2016, 1:16 pm

Thanks for all the replies....... Trust me if there's something to worry about I'll be the one to worry about it lol 
Cheers, 
IM

It's very easy to 'overthink' things that don't really require any thought at all... if you put in on the forum then we can all overthink it too! :)
Invisible_Man
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Invisible_Man on Tue 01 Mar 2016, 2:03 pm

A problem shared is a problem halved..... And besides you guys are the leading CB experts ☺
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 01 Mar 2016, 3:29 pm

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away there was a car called the Austin Maxi which got a terrible reputation for engine blow-ups when it was first introduced. It turned out that owners were over-filling the sumps and the oil was being turned to foam by the crankshaft churning it up.
It transpired that there wasn't much wrong with the engines, just Austin had a batch of dipsticks with incorrect markings.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 01 Mar 2016, 4:38 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:

Cheers, 
IM

It's very easy to 'overthink' things that don't really require any thought at all...  if you put in on the forum then we can all overthink it too! Smile
that sounds about right Laughing
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 01 Mar 2016, 4:40 pm

@Beresford wrote:A long time ago in a galaxy far far away there was a car called the Austin Maxi which got a terrible reputation for engine blow-ups when it was first introduced. It turned out that owners were over-filling the sumps and the oil was being turned to foam by the crankshaft churning it up.
It transpired that there wasn't much wrong with the engines, just Austin had a batch of dipsticks with incorrect markings.

they wernt the owners were they Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 29 Jun 2017, 5:12 pm