Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Main stand removal

Jameshambleton

Main stand removal

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 7:59 am

How would I go about removing the main stand off my bike as the haynes doesn't say anything from what I can tell from the index. 
so any suggestions are welcomed.
foxton
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Re: Main stand removal

Post by foxton on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 8:13 am

There is a split pin on the right hand side to take out first then you can slide the main pin across as this comes loose it will make it easier to get the springs off. I think that is right without looking maybe someone has a easier way.
Invisible_Man
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Invisible_Man on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 10:34 am

Hey,
Just done this.

If your just tarting the stand up firstly make sure the pin will come out! Sometimes there rusted into the stand which in some instances means cutting it out. Remove the split pin from the right hand side of the frame and see if you can push/ rotate the pin without the stand moving. I was lucky and the pin loosned with a few taps.

Personally I found it easier to leave the pin in while getting the springs off. It makes levering the springs off easier as the stand is stable. I found removing the pin gives the spring no more give anyway Smile 

Nexy thing I did was to get the spring unhooked. This b*stards by far the hardest step of removing the stand. I bought a spring puller but pulled the handle off so resorted to using the nylon string trick. Using a boot lace I tied the two ends together to form a loop. One end was then hooked over the 2 sping hooks on the stand side. I slid a hammer into the other end of the boot lace loop and levered off the foot of the stand. I found this gives just enough leverage to to get the spring off. Be prepared to swear lol and then weep with joy when its finally off and the ordeal is over lol

Next slide the pin out. It looks like it wont pass the side stand switch but it will. Just wiggle the stand.

On reassembly i packed the main stand tube with copperslip and coated the pin also.

Have fun.
Shaun
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 3:03 pm

Looks like the wd40 and a hammer is coming out then. Thanks for both of your posts.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 6:39 am