Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Change disc before wear limit?

Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Change disc before wear limit?

Post by Celt500 on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 10:39 pm

I'm measuring about 4.4 mm on my front disc.
Rear measurement was... amusing.
Reckon I should throw a new set of pads on there and motor on or is there a reason to splash out and replace the lot?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Change disc before wear limit?

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 11:15 pm

The cb disc are fairly cheap mate as its only one, u want to have a look at fireblade front disc prices mine are ebc pro lite the prices are eye watering. It make new cb disc a bargain.its one thing that u dont cut corners with, i am talking from experience,
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:14 pm

I would swap it out. Mine cost £80 something from honda so not mega bucks. Brakes are not a place to cut costs. If you are removing the front wheel to do the disc, you may also want to do the front wheel bearing while you are at it. Not expensive but another item off the to-do list.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:25 pm

There is only 2 places on a bike were you should never cut corners, one is tyres and the other is brakes.

My rear is 5.13mm (it's basically brand new but a few 100 miles) my front is 4.62mm

I got mine on fleabay but it was still in its sealed box http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172010992748
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:28 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:There is only 2 places on a bike were you should never cut corners, one is tyres and the other is brakes.

My rear is 5.13mm (it's basically brand new but a few 100 miles) my front is 4.62mm

I got mine on fleabay but it was still in its sealed box http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172010992748
& from a Honda dealer no less. Smile
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 17 Feb 2016, 12:18 pm

IF it's above the wear limit then there is no point in changing it unless it's warped.

However, it *is* worth changing it if you think you will forget to measure it again soon...
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 8:04 am

Rear disc and pads are on the way for now but I'll keep an eye on the front.

Of course only after I've got stuff ordered do I notice the steering bearing starting to click again. Neutral

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:57 am