Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Left Fork Seal Leaking

jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Left Fork Seal Leaking

Post by jimbobs63 on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 6:02 pm

Hi,

I need some advice:

I've just noticed that the left fork seal is leaking slightly, so I contacted my local service/repair shop and they've quoted me £150 inc parts and labour (they'll replace both).

That sounds steep, but looking at the very good guide posted on this forum on how to do it yourself I'm feeling rather daunted by it - and I'm not sure I've got everything needed to do it without botching it!  Also, I don't fancy it much in this cold weather either as I don't have a garage to use.

So, what do you think?  Should I give it a go?

By the way, what's the danger of leaving it too long whilst the oil is leaking out of the fork?  Given it's the left, it's not going to drip onto the brake rotor/pads.

Jim
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Re: Left Fork Seal Leaking

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 6:09 pm

I wouldn't leave it long, less fluid will mean a bigger air gap so one will be more spongey than the other. I daresay as they are joined by the wheel and yokes they will appear to move together but might be some slight tension caused by the uneveness and possibly break something or cause the steering and handling to be very weird.

(someone correct me if im wrong!)

As for doing it yourself....... absolutely!

Get yourself some new oil seals, damper bolt, damper bolt washer, top cap O rings, fluid and dust covers aswell as a seal driving tool, air gap measuring tool and the fluid and you should be good to go.

I'd never done it before and while a bit daunting and some initial problems (see my signature thread) job was a good-un. I'd still be nervous about doing adjustable forks but these are a VERY simple design.

Hey, you could always get some Hagon internals and throw those in at the same time for like 80quid while you're at it.

This video was pretty useful (although they are adjustable) but the re-assemble order is different but still a very good watch.

Dan
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 6:15 pm

Given that my forks were in pieces today, Id say it isn't too hard. I just need to bodge a seal driver using a bit of pipe that I don't have and then I just need to add the oil and I'm good to go again. I watched Delboys fork video again and again. 
It's really simple.
release the top yoke clamps.
crack open the top bolt covers on the forks and then just make it finger tight again
remove forks and wheel 
get a 6mm hex and crack the bolt in the recess at the bottom of the forks (don't fully undo it) it can be a bit of a bitch tbh 
get a 16mm? socket and a rachet and go to the top of the yoke

I could make a video if you wanted me to for our specific bikes  ?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 6:16 pm

Haynes and workshop manuals are pretty good on guiding you through but video's off YouTube etc help visualize what they are talking about.

Dan
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 6:43 pm

It's not a bad job at all, just be methodical as you take everything apart, and do one fork at a time so if you get in a muddle you have something to refer to!
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 6:45 pm

.....and lots of rags and towels aswell as isopropyl to clean up the slop that you empty out.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 9:48 pm

It's do-able.

The world won't end if you ride around for a week or two (waiting for a nice day to do the work on) with a bit of rolled up kitchen paper stuffed under your left fork dust-seal to stop the worst of the oil coming out Smile

The only problem I've ever had with forks was a damper bolt that wouldn't undo - I ended up poking a bit of suitable shaped (filed!) steel bar into the fork to interfere with the top of the damper rod enough that I could undo the bolt from the other end (it was just spinning otherwise). That wasn't even on the CB500... the CB500 ones were no problem.

You'll doubtlessly meet some problem or the other if you end up doing this work; you just have to be able to take it in your stride and ideally be somwhere near a shop that sells tools (for that socket, spanner or extra long allen-socket that you didn't realise you need at the outset).

Even if you don't end up doing it yourself you could see if they'll give you a discount for removing/refitting the forks yourself.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:40 pm