Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

New Front Lower Engine Bolt Type?

Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

New Front Lower Engine Bolt Type?

Post by Anigai on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 5:13 pm

Ever since I got my CB it's been running without a lower front engine bolt.
My trouble is it looks to be a very long and specific size and Im not 100% certain I'm looking in the right place.

I basically have no lower front engine mounting hardware at all so she has a few vibes which I'm convinced isn't very good for not just the engine but the entire bike.

I think what I need is part number 13 from this microfiche but i'm not 100% certain.
http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-77101-77101-CB500Y-2000-F_28-CB+500.html

The bike is a 2000 Y model but could have been a faired SY model since there's mounting points.

Cheers for any help guys.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Re: New Front Lower Engine Bolt Type?

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 5:20 pm

Shocked

I'm surprised the engine hasn't fallen out!

Yes, number 13 (appropriate number!) is the dreaded front engine bolt that gives so many problems to remove!

There is just 2 more at the rear (numbers 14 & 15 on your diagram).

Id get one, nut too aswell as the spacers if it is a naked frame - i couldnt work out if you meant yours is or isnt but the faired frame (which has a brace between the two down sections) doesnt use spacers IIRC.

Dan
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 5:41 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:Shocked

I'm surprised the engine hasn't fallen out!

Yes, number 13 (appropriate number!) is the dreaded front engine bolt that gives so many problems to remove!

There is just 2 more at the rear (numbers 14 & 15 on your diagram).

Id get one, nut too aswell as the spacers if it is a naked frame - i couldnt work out if you meant yours is or isnt but the faired frame (which has a brace between the two down sections) doesnt use spacers IIRC.

Dan

Cheers Dan, the rear 2 are fine. I'm keeping them torqued to spec which helps with the vibes but the engine does have alittle play but not much.

So I'm thinking my shopping list looks like this:
x1 number 13 bolt
x2 number 10 spacers
& 1 nut which I can't make out the number but probably any old nut should do the trick.

Guess I'll add those to thecart with the 1.14KG of jellybeans I wanted to buy today.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 5:58 pm

Its not the torque that'd worry me, more like breaking the casting with no front support.

The nut for it is number 23.

Dan
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 6:10 pm

Any second hand engine bolt be wrecked i imagine, so i say u have to buy a new one, i saw ur bike on adverts before u bought it. It has s version clocks on it aka one with fairing.i try davidsilverspares then m50 honda(mega pricey) then cityspares for a solution. They help
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 6:11 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Any second hand engine bolt be wrecked i imagine, so i say u have to buy a new one, i saw ur bike on adverts before u bought it. It has s version clocks on it aka one with fairing.i try davidsilverspares then m50 honda(mega pricey) then cityspares for a solution. They help

Spares was going to be my first choice.

She was rough when she was up on that site, really nice sounding engine and solid frame but the rest of the thing was in really bad nick.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 6:18 pm

I wouldnt be riding it with out that engine bolt, have u checked the front mountings are ok, aka not cracked. Very strange engine mounting bolt is missing. Mine wont come out with chemical reaction and corrision. Sounds like thats not original engine.
Heres my 97 picked up for 750 euro
It was missing tank side panel  in the pic and didnt have the screen

Last edited by wornsprokets on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 6:23 pm

@Anigai wrote:She was rough when she was up on that site, really nice sounding engine and solid frame but the rest of the thing was in really bad nick.

IMO they wear being rough well, simple to take apart and put back together so as long as the engine and frame is good you've got a good base to work upon.

Dan
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 9:30 pm

Yes, I'd get a number 13, two number 10s and a 23 (the nut!) ... and some sweet and sour pork balls! (boom boom).

Sorry, poor jokes.

I really hope the vibes are better with a front engine bolt: they really should be!
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 9:44 am

If you're thinking about getting engine bars in the near future they come with a longer bolt to fit them (at least the Honda & renntec ones do) which replaces the stock one.

It could be that your bike had some fitted in the past which were removed to be sold on separately.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 11:22 am

@ashcroc wrote:If you're thinking about getting engine bars in the near future they come with a longer bolt to fit them (at least the Honda & renntec ones do) which replaces the stock one.

It could be that your bike had some fitted in the past which were removed to be sold on separately.

Good point, think that's the same for the R&G crash bungs also.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 1:19 pm

Lots of great suggestions guys, I'll pay for those few bits later.

I've been thinking about crash bars but I'd say that would be a future mod, I might end up throwing on a pair of bobbins and call it a day with those.

the worst part of me getting this bike on the road now I've just found out it's been written off by my Insurence Company. i switched over my insurence and have all the required documentation but when a friend of mine went to tax the bike for me they told him it's writen off.
I don't think he contested it because if he showed them the inserence cert then and there it would have a really recent date on it so it would have been nipped in the bud but sadly he didn't.

if you want something done right you'll have to do it yourself.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 1:24 pm

@Anigai wrote:if you want something done right you'll have to do it yourself.

Oh yes.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 1:31 pm

Ive crash bars angai if u want them but its missing fixing brakets
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 1:35 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Ive crash bars angai if u want them but its missing fixing brakets

Interesting, is it possible to lash out some fixing brackets if you've got a reasonably well equiped garage and some spare metal paint?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 5:49 pm

It has front brackets and bolts just missing rear brackets and bolts say u could make them. My front engine bolt is seized solid which is usual. Engine bars are solid good ones but need a sand down and respray. I dont know make of them but there good ones.  I got them with other parts, say u could make them easly enough. It has two  fixing points on either side. If u had other brackets  there be 3 fixing points either side. I think u had bad luck with ur bike so i dont mind giving them to u if u want them. I put pics up over wkd of them as there in my dads garage
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 9:05 pm

I'd say you're right about the bad luck, she broke down on me today while coming home from work.

I think I'll take you up on that offer though, I do love to do a bit of spraying every now and again.
I'm fairly handy with the welder too, I'd be confident enough to trust my own welds if I ended up having to build a frame for example so it would be a little bit of weekend fun to make up that stuff.

Cheers wornsprokets.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 13 Feb 2016, 6:43 pm

Anigai  heres the engine bars
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 2:10 pm

They look pretty decent, once I get these electrical gremlins sorted I'll get back to you about them if that's ok?

Compared to the CB500 the little single cylinder GN250 feels like it's only a 50cc moped, hopefully I'll get it sorted. I'm about to go out now and do some testing.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 3:24 pm

No probs there yours , anigai
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 3:34 pm

After wornsprokets was kind enough to give me that set of engine bars I've ordered the hanger collars as well as some stainless threaded rod and nuts to make myself up a new front engine bolt.

The stainless was slightly more expensive than good old mild steel but it might save a headache at some point.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 2:06 pm

Be sure to apply loads of anti sieze compound. Alluminium & steel have a habit of causing a chemical bond when moisture is present.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 4:29 pm

@Anigai wrote: I've ordered the hanger collars as well as some stainless threaded rod and nuts to make myself up a new front engine bolt.

If you are using threaded rod to replace the long bolt, a suggestion is to put a sleeve of pvc hose over it to reduce the amount of road crap that would otherwise stick to it where it is exposed by the engine casing.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 10:41 pm

Good advice guys thanks, I'll have to improvise the 2 of them though.

Heat shrink tubing can replace the PVC since I've no shortage of it and liberal amounts of greese in place of anti sieze should work.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 8:42 pm