Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Inner fork gubbings..

Jameshambleton

Inner fork gubbings..

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 4:48 pm

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my forks and replacing a stanchion and I've run into a problem... or so I think hence why I'm asking on here.
Anyway to the point, where the damper rod fits in the original stanchion there is some additional parts there for it to presumably stop it from moving around.
Is there any way of removing them or do they have to be inbuilt into the stanchion?
Jameshambleton

Re: Inner fork gubbings..

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 7:14 pm

This is the replacement one.

This one is the OE one and the parts that you can see are set in a recess and they cannot be removed. I have checked lings and bike-parts-honda at their exploded diagrams  and from what I can tell from them is that these parts are part of the stanchion and are not replaceable or even lists on the parts diagram. 
Alvi
Running out of unique names

Post by Alvi on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:52 pm

Is that bit called the shuttle? I'm about to buy some pattern stantions for a CB400NA. Wemoto sell some Italian tubes, which they say include the ' shuttle' Their picture shows the gubbins that the damper rod sits on, as in your picture of your old tubes, so I assumed the 'shuttle'was that bit. It looks like it's pressed in & wouldn't be easy to replace?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 10:06 pm

I'm going to be messaging wemoto tomorrow and asking for some pictures before I order them. The ABE fork stanchions that are supposedly for our model don't have them as I found out. I just hope they'll refund me but I bought the stanchion a year ago in 3 days time from m&p :/ 
@Alvi wrote:Is that bit called the shuttle? I'm about to buy some pattern stantions for a CB400NA. Wemoto sell some Italian tubes, which they say include the ' shuttle' Their picture shows the gubbins that the damper rod sits on, as in your picture of your old tubes, so I assumed the 'shuttle'was that bit. It looks like it's pressed in & wouldn't be easy to replace?
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 9:52 am

I'm sure I was able to remove that when I rebuilt my forks two years ago. I stripped the whole lot for bushes & seals. I did take photos but they're on an old laptop that passed away recently.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 1:08 pm

I can't remember these coming apart when I spruced up my fork legs - but I didn't try too hard as I wasn't replacing my stanchions!

Have you tried the damper rod into your 'new' fork legs? I'm pretty sure there is a seal on the damper rod so I guess it is supposed to fit well.

Good luck getting your money back...
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 8:45 pm

According to M&P I need to grind the end off my stanchion and then fit the parts that have come out of that into the new one and then I need to bend the end of the stanchion over to keep them in place. They have said this though 
"Hi,
If you were to buy direct from Honda this is what you would receive.
If you want to send the item back please Wrap the items up with either a copy of the invoice or the invoice itself, with a note explaining what you would like done.
Please address it to the address on the invoice, headed RETURNS DEPT.
Regards
christian"

I emailed Wemoto asking for specific pics of the stanchion that they sell... Reply within an hour of them opening this morning after I emailed them at 11pm last night and guess what their stanchion has inside.. yup you guessed it! The exact same parts as the original.   Wemoto image that they sent to me 
Alvi

Post by Alvi on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 9:40 pm

Not sure about that 'if you bought this from Honda' statement, just had a look on David Silvers & they sell Honda tube. Their picture shows the gubbins in place. 132 squid each, btw!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 8:32 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:According to M&P I need to grind the end off my stanchion and then fit the parts that have come out of that into the new one and then I need to bend the end of the stanchion over to keep them in place. They have said this though 
"Hi,
If you were to buy direct from Honda this is what you would receive.
If you want to send the item back please Wrap the items up with either a copy of the invoice or the invoice itself, with a note explaining what you would like done.
Please address it to the address on the invoice, headed RETURNS DEPT.
Regards
christian"

While I'm sure you could make this 'method' work, I think I would be taking m&p up on that 'returns dept.' offer and buying them from Wemoto.
burning_rubber
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by burning_rubber on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 9:48 pm

i got my ones from wemoto and had no problems they looked like honda copys to me 

good luck
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 10:20 pm

Already got the wemoto ones ordered and they should be coming tomorrow for tomorrows evening fork rebuilding in the kitchen, how my mother is going to love me! 
I'll be returning the m&p ones back to them for a refund.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:34 pm