Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

new ignition switch 3 prong wires ...my bike has 5 wires! - rewiring advice?

stevodemo
Squiddy
Squiddy

new ignition switch 3 prong wires ...my bike has 5 wires! - rewiring advice?

Post by stevodemo on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 10:25 am

Hi all,
I needed to replace the ignition switch on the 1994 CB500R . All the available switches are the (later?) 3 prong (3 wires) connectors.However,my bike has five(5) wires / 5 prong connectors.
I've read that a bit of rewiring is needed and fine.I don't know how to do it .Does anyone know how I can do this ? I really want to get back on the cb!!
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Re: new ignition switch 3 prong wires ...my bike has 5 wires! - rewiring advice?

Post by ANDYC on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 12:14 pm

As I understand looking at the wiring diagram in the Haynes maual.
The brown and the brown/white wires are connected together as part of the lighting circuit. Which seems to have no link to the ignition switch at all. This could be why it was omitted in later models.
The other three wires are connected to their corresponding colours as normal on the switch.
Hope this helps.
stevodemo
Squiddy
Squiddy

Re: new ignition switch 3 prong wires ...my bike has 5 wires! - rewiring advice?

Post by stevodemo on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 12:44 pm

Thanks Andy C ! So ,do I join those 2 "extra" wires together ?
The brown and the brown/white wires are connected together
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 12:45 pm

That's how it appears in the manual Smile

Post by Guest on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 3:18 pm

If you don't connect the brown and brown/white you'll find the side and tail lights won't work. With said wires connected the side and tail lights will come one when you switch your lights on. Good luck. I always solder and heat shrink my connections. But that's up to you to decide.
stevodemo
Squiddy
Squiddy

Briiliant switch rewiring help!

Post by stevodemo on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 3:36 pm

cheers You guys are BRILLIANT ! I cannot believe how quick and helpful you have been :-)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 5:30 am