Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Pillion insurance

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Pillion insurance

Post by Beresford on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 7:41 pm

Every year when I'm renewing insurance and - maybe - shopping around, I always say 'no pillion'. I have NEVER in all my years carried a pillion passenger on any bike, 'cos when you are my size there simply isn't room. What I'm asking is, what is the difference in cost with, vis-a-vis, without pillion insurance ? Can anybody enlighten me please ?
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Re: Pillion insurance

Post by skyrider on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 7:51 pm

no I have never had pillion insurance either, is this a new idea
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 8:38 pm

I think it's only a few pence, I personally don't think it makes any difference to price or  if it does it isn't considerable. I know when I start a new policy I'm going to get it as I've taken pillions and it wasn't ever my intention to.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 8:43 pm

it might be worth looking into just in case we are in an accident whilst carrying someone on the back we don't want them suing us for injuries
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 9:23 pm

skyrider wrote: we don't want them suing us for injuries

Perzackley !!
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 12:04 pm

I don't think that's what pillion insurance means - it's not insurance to cover a passenger against injury. It merely allows you to ride with a pillion - if you hadn't selected the pillion option in the insurance and then carried one anyway your whole insurance would be invalid while the pillion was on there. That's my reading of it anyway!
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 12:05 pm

...although I'm sure there is insurance available to cover passengers against injury, but the 'will you ever carry a pillion?' question on normal bike insurance is not for this AFAIK.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 12:31 pm

Yeah i use to regularly use to carry pillions ,when i use to drop the  ex girlfriend  to work, now i rarely carry pillions now. I dont like carrying people on fireblade too much weight on my wrists, havent had anyone on cb but i think it do it fine,  i dont cover for pillions. Irish car/ van insurance has gone crazy over whiplash claims, my van insurance is up at end off month try this ive never had an accident in a car or van ive been driving 16yrs, my vans 15yrs old and worth about 700 euro tpft was last year 500 euro it jumped to 936 euro!   All insurance companys  say car/van too old there just scum. Hope bike insuance doesnt go same it was 300 for two bikes last year
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 12:35 pm

I took my girlfriend on the CB from London to just south of Geneva and back two years ago, all on D roads (like our A roads). I'm small and she's very small but we had fully loaded soft panniers and a full tank bag as well. It was great, still handled brilliantly on the Alpine roads. I had the shock preload (Hagons) on max and 40psi in the rear tyre. Descending down to Geneva from Gex etc. was one of the highlights of my riding career. No noticeable brake fade either, and I have to say i was really quite pushing it once the roads got twisty (but obviously not as much as I would had I been riding solo). There's obviously quite a bit less poke for overtaking etc, especially uphill, but it rarely annoyed me. Though pillion work is one of the situations when I'd really like the bike to be an 800cc twin instead of a 500...
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 4:06 pm

I've ridden with pillion before but not on any of my CB's although I've no doubt it'd be fully capable. The GPz 600 managed it a hell of alot better than the AF125 with it's postage stamp sized passenger seat!

I still pay the pillion premium just to give me the option should I ever need it.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:53 pm

I don't think I've ever bought insurance without pillion cover, mind you the renewal was less than £100 this year so I won't grumble.
biglee
Rossi
Rossi

Post by biglee on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 8:49 pm

hi all i have  just renewed my insurance with carol nash  they asked if i needed pillion insurance i asked how much more it would cost they said not a penny more and i can also ride another [3rd party only] bike with permission on my policy i added i added the pillion cover  dont need it  but might come in handy in the future
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 10:38 pm

Yeah, think the only time I bothered asking what difference it made in price it was zilch. And the "including commuting" only added 99p to the cost IIRC. There are so many options to make you feel like you can wheedle a better deal out of them, but it seem at the end of the day insurance costs what it costs, so the fewer restrictions the better.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:15 am

teamster1975 wrote:I don't think I've ever bought insurance without pillion cover, mind you the renewal was less than £100 this year so I won't grumble.

I was tempted to take it up last week as my renewal was due but despite the other party claiming full unquestioned liability for the collision last March and previously paying 200 for two bikes full comp with protected no claims and 100 excess my renewal premium and excess came in at 3 times previous and shopping around was no better. arse.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:44 pm

It's a bit strange isn't it - no one would think of buying car insurance that only covered the driver being in the car (ie. no passengers!)...

I suspect someone in insurance thought they might be able to make a quick buck out of charging people more if they too a pillion - then they realised that they couldn't back it up with any facts (like risk based facts) but the box is still on the form.

I always tick the 'pillion' box - I don't think it makes any difference to the price, plus occasionally it's convenient to give the wife a lift somewhere or the other or go into town on the bike etc etc

I also tick the 'business use' box - it doesn't seem to cost any more either and it means that I can occasionally get paid fuel money by work to go places (assuming I can fit the stuff I need to take in the top box).
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:57 pm

jerryfudd wrote:
teamster1975 wrote:I don't think I've ever bought insurance without pillion cover, mind you the renewal was less than £100 this year so I won't grumble.

I was tempted to take it up last week as my renewal was due but despite the other party claiming full unquestioned liability for the collision last March and previously paying 200 for two bikes full comp with protected no claims and 100 excess my renewal premium and excess came in at 3 times previous and shopping around was no better. arse.
Even with an extra years no claims my inswurance went up last year after the stack. Unfortunately maths isn't on our side as statistically if a driver is involved in a crash they're statistically more likely to make another claim within the next 2 (may be more) years. Whether or not you were found at fault matters not to their calculations.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:57 pm