You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

new cb500 owner in worcester

foxton
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

new cb500 owner in worcester

Post by foxton on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 7:06 pm

Got me a cb500 to use as a runabout for a while. If it turns out to be ticking all the boxes as a allround commuter I may keep it. I like the look of the bike but that is one ugly exhaust. Has anyone  ever cut the exhaust shorter giving it a stubby look. Anyway hello to you all I will post more info when I get it on the road.
stormbringer

Re: new cb500 owner in worcester

Post by stormbringer on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 7:15 pm

@foxton wrote:... that is one ugly exhaust. Has anyone  ever cut the exhaust shorter giving it a stubby look?

Welcome aboard Smile

I believe most people either live with the unobtrusive OE or exchange it for a factory-made replacement - Fuel makes three different lengths and a number of looks to fit everyone's taste. There's even SS downpipes to be had if you think those standard ones are ugly too.
foxton
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by foxton on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 7:20 pm

I like the black look and it a good finish.  Maybe look at something in a while get some miles sorted first. Good forum.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 7:53 pm

Welcome foxton.

Both Fuel & Delkevic make black cans (either black stainless or carbon fibre) if that's your preference.

Both will be lighter than the OE can & will be freer flowing too.  The fact you won't have to remove & repaint them every other year is a bonus.

I suspect if you cut the OE can down it'd stop being road legal so you may have difficulty getting through an MOT.

Having said that, it's not a bad idea running stock for a bit so you'll appreciate the difference more when you change it.  Don't be afraid to use the top half of the rev range. The fun really starts from about 8K Twisted Evil
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 9:04 pm

Welcome to the forum, as far as I'm aware no one has shortened the original exhaust although this video maybe of some use for you
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 9:57 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:Welcome to the forum, as far as I'm aware no one has shortened the original exhaust although this video maybe of some use for you

You can do that with most aftermarket cans (you could probably do it to a fuel or a beowulf) - it isn't quite that easy with the original can.

If you wanted to do something similar you would need to carefully angle grind the 'end part' of the can off, working around the weld line, then, assuming the internal structure would allow, chop the can down as required and then weld the end back on to your shortened can. Not quite as easy...

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 10:57 pm

Welcome along, I'm in Banbury so not that far. Prob not worth messing with the oe can, if it was practical to do a chop someone would have by now imo.

Plenty of aftermarket cans around, none will give much more power. If you are looking around secondhand (on fleabay) remember that you might need a link pipe between the standard downpipes and the endcan so be sure its included in the deal.
If you opt for a lefthand exit race micron you'll need to chop the footrest hangers as the can uses the space taken by the rear footrests.

Atb getting it on the road.

muttley1
foxton
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by foxton on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 6:13 am

As I said I'm going to stick with standard  can for now. I may grow to like it then again if something turns up I might go for it. Are standard cans easy to come by. Also what the best heatproof paint to get for the exhaust,now I've opened a discussion. C u soon.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 9:11 am

Welcome Foxton, nice to see an Ogri avatar! I nearly made it to the rally last year but had to cancel last minute because of my wife's health.
Halfords do this VHT paint, to be honest I ditched the original when it rusted through and fitted a stainless. Sounds a hell of a lot better and you can be heard when filtering!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 12:50 pm

That's exactly the stuff I used on my exhaust before I was forced to change it for a stainless one (the clamps rotted through, oddly enough the pipes were fine (or at least, no holes)).

It goes on quite well, but if you want to do a good job you'd be better taking the exhaust off the bike, cleaning it up by sanding (flap wheel on a drill or similar) to get rid of the worst of loose rust and then putting on two thin coats of the VHT paint.

If you can't be bothered with that then you can stick some on with a small brush while they're on the bike - it would still be better to give them a sand first but this is rather more difficult.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 1:26 pm

I think i saw a while ago a guy drilling holes in back of the honda  exhaust  on you tube but couldnt see it doing any good,  i like to change exhaust too but mines solid and no rust. Fuel be nice but 160 sterling plus postage its about 200 euro. Doesnt seem to be many good second hand exhausts around at reasonable price just new ones also need link pipe also so u can use centre stand,
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 1:38 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:I think i saw a while ago a guy drilling holes in back of the honda  exhaust  on you tube but couldnt see it doing any good,  i like to change exhaust too but mines solid and no rust. Fuel be nice but 160 sterling plus postage its about 200 euro. Doesnt seem to be many good second hand exhausts around at reasonable price just new ones also need link pipe also so u can use centre stand,

I think I saw that video too - had I not need to replace mine for other reasons I was toying with the idea of seeing what it sounded like with a few more holes!
foxton
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by foxton on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 6:44 pm

I will try the vht  paint as the exhaust does seem to be solid but I see the joining clamp does have rust and is prone to corrosion. Thank all
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 8:35 pm

welcome aboard foxton and have fun

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 Aug 2018, 11:46 am