Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

sticky throttle push / pull cables

geewhizz
the 900
the 900

sticky throttle push / pull cables

Post by geewhizz on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 4:54 pm

I just swapped out these cable for new slinky glide cables. Bit of a fiddly job that i probably didn't need to do but hayho. The throttle now doesn't really want to return from wide open, is this a case of adding tension to the return cable (assuming I assembled it correctly) FYI i didn't lube the cables but i wouldn't except that to be the cause of the issue... cheers
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Re: sticky throttle push / pull cables

Post by geewhizz on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 7:27 pm

reading through the forum it seem like this problem has came up quite a bit in the past. I didn't have time to have much of a fiddle with it before i bailed indoors but i would add that the routing seemed fine, the grips and bar end weight removed so no friction issues there, and there was plenty of old grease in the throttle assembly and between throttle tube and handle bars, but as i said i didnt add lube to the new cables
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 10:17 pm

Modern cables shouldn' need any lubing. I seem to remember somebody on this site saying they were less than impressed by slinky glide cables and recommending OEM at all times.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 1:20 pm

The 'spring back' shouldn't have anything to do with the return cable, unless it is sticking/too tight and stopping the throttle rotating back to the zero position.

Anyway, I'd disconnect both cables from the twistgrip and see if they work 'independently'. If that all seems OK (you pull the opening cable and then let go of it and it springs back fine) then it must be something to do with the closing cable.

The closing cable is only there as a belt-and-braces way of closing the throttle if the spring snaps/fails (which is nice to have, but...) so if you end up setting a bit loose then don't worry.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:39 pm