Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Charging Problem

commuterman
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Charging Problem

Post by commuterman on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 11:28 am

I have a 2001 CB500SY. It's suddenly developed a battery charging problem where it charges properly except when idling with a load on, such as the lights. Charges OK when revs are up and at idle if lights are off. I thought it may be a faulty regulator/rectifier so I fitted a new one but the problem is still there. Anyone come across this problem before?
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Re: Charging Problem

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 11:49 am

This is entirely normal. The voltage output spec is given as 14.0 to 15.5V @ 5000 rpm. The battery doesn't charge at idle if the lights are on.
commuterman
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by commuterman on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 12:56 pm

Well that's great then thanks for that. The bike broke down on a run with a flat battery and I was recovered home. I presumed as it was not charging at idle there was still a fault but looks like new reg/rec has solved the problem. Cheers.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 1:39 pm

It might have just been you battery was knackered.

However, from personal experience, if you are riding a lot a slow(ish) speeds through town with the headlight on then it is possible that the charging system (even though it is all working) won't charge the battery properly.

I resorted to riding (when safe to do so) with the side-lights only - this made the problem better.
commuterman
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by commuterman on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 6:32 pm

Thanks for your replies. I used the bike all the time for work in all weathers, 40 mile commute part motorway part in town, and never had any problems. When it broke down I got it tested and was told the reg/rec was knackered so I changed it. My guess is that the old one was faulty, so now the battery is not in as good a condition as it was. Charging system seems OK now other than at idle with lights on, so I'll go with it & probably invest in a new battery at some point.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 6:38 pm

Honda regulators rectifiers are crap, both went on cb and my fireblade as there same part used in both and it damaged batterys, u charge them on battery charger and they be flat straight away or start just once then be flat,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 7:23 pm