Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

throttle tube

geewhizz
the 900
the 900

throttle tube

Post by geewhizz on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 10:12 am

I've taken a chip out of my throttle tube assembly when trying to remove the bastard bar end weights...And as I'm away to replace the handle bars/grips/mirrors i figure i might as well replace the throttle tube (with a faster one) and do the push/pull cables too for peace of mind. 

I've read through previous posts on the topic and was keen to know if anyone has found an off the shelf tube assembly that fits the bill?

Cheers G
Jameshambleton

Re: throttle tube

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 10:14 am

I think Jerryfudd Made one using an old bit of pipe it's somewhere on the forum.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:49 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:I think Jerryfudd Made one using an old bit of pipe it's somewhere on the forum.

peh old bit of pipe...... it ended up being a carefully machined adapter ring Smile

http://www.cb500club.net/t4020-quick-action-throttle-for-free#37264
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 8:45 pm

yeah i saw that post. Thats a neat and resourceful solution, i might give it a pop.  I'm finding it difficult to get the right tube this side of the atlantic. I did find a 'universal unit' on ebay to start with...but I was ideally hoping to transplant a complete unit from another sports bike etc instead of modding...and i'm a bit bit dubious of 'universal' fittings...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Throttle-Tube-Fits-7-8-Bars-QT801-/231777824625?hash=item35f708ef71:g:4q4AAMXQiNdRd9kn
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 9:55 pm

I believe that just about any dual cable Honda from the same period has a tube that will fit.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 8:53 am

thanks beresford, i was beginning to wonder if it could be that simple...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 1:33 pm

I think mine is using a throttle tube of some kind of 90s VFR... I mashed my original one during a botched hotgrip installation (don't ask - I was as idiot).
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 7:02 pm

cheers i've been reading on other forums that the 06 R6 throttle tube has been a good mod for various other bikes (although sometimes a bit of dremeling was required)  I'm going to find a cheap one somewhere and try it out, will post the results

update - wemoto - £13.60 posted

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/yzf_600_r6s/06/picture/handlebar_grip_-_right_-_throttle_side_includes_pipe_-_oem/
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 1:37 pm

Cool. Keep us informed, especially if it is any good!
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 7:16 pm

of course, i've got one in the post...hopefully its here by the weekend
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 4:31 pm

Great news, the throttle tube does seem to fit inside the housing without any modification, just drop it in and it would appear that I'll get 28mm (1/6th of a turn) to open the throttle wide. However...

The outer cable of the accelerator cable is now about 8mm too long. Its a new cable from slinky glide  and I've just put renthal bars on so I can't say if its the cable thats at fault or its a consequence of the other modifications. 

When I force the ferrule onto the supporting mount the throttle doesn't return but when i hold it in place about 8mm lower down the throttle snaps backs perfectly. At the moment I've taped it to the decelerator to hold it in place while i test the throttle tube.

I'm wondering if theres a quick way to shorten the outer cable while retaining the ferrule, I'm just not sure how the ferrules are fixed to the cables...Maybe melt the ferrule off to expose the bottom of the outer cable, cut it to length and melt the ferrule back on?? Any had to do this already? 

Overall its looking like a good mod

Last edited by geewhizz on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 5:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 4:41 pm

the original throttle tube against the new one
and 28mm wot, would anyone mind measuring the standard wot for reference? I forgot to do it before I put this one on
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 6:33 pm

wot?
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 6:37 pm

hehe, yeah i was getting down with the lingo i found in other bike forums - (W)ide (O)pen (T)hrottle
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 7:31 pm

ah, can't say I know the stock but might pop out and measure mine shortly as I'm curious now.

Dan
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 9:33 pm

good going. I'll be interested to find out Smile
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 7:28 pm

OK the throttle tube mod is good. Very good. 

I had a proper test run with it through city traffic tonight and I like it a lot. If I had to criticise it I'd say its a little twitchy at low speeds (coupled with the typical engine braking of our bikes ) but otherwise the bike felt transformed. Full throttle is no longer a wrist wrenching activity. Bike feels faster and more responsive. 

I had to cut about 6 mm off the outer sleeve of the new pull cable as its length was prohibiting the ferrule getting onto the mount. I've been email chatting with the guys at wemoto about these slinky glide cables as I'm not confident they're the right length. They are ordering stock cables from honda to compare and I'll let you know when they get back to me on that.

FYI my new cable lengths are; 
pull cable, inner 91cm, outer sleeve- 79.5-3cm (about 6-8mm removed from outer wemoto slinky)
push cable, inner 89cm, outer sleeve- 78cm (stock wemoto slinky)

In short its pretty easy to assemble and i'd guess it would work fine with standard cables too. 

Give it a pop !!

Last edited by geewhizz on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 7:33 pm

Good to know.

So, just to be clear, if I have standard Honda cables, the R6 tube should just fit right in?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 7:47 pm

@sullivj wrote:Good to know.

So, just to be clear, if I have standard Honda cables, the R6 tube should just fit right in?

better see if you can get the matching R6 grip for the other side as that would play with even my ocd lol

personally I like the twitchy throttle and when I first had one I found it difficult to hold a steady 30 but you soon get used to it - so much better off the lights.

Dan
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 7:51 pm

I'm guessing so, solely because my original cables were different in length to the new cables.

They were, 
inner - 93.5cm, outer sleeve - 83.2cm and 
inner - 90cm, outer sleeve- 79.2cm ( but i can't recall which was push and which was pull)

When wemoto get back to me with the dimensions of the honda stock cables I'll post it. The main consideration is I didn't need to dremel out any of the throttle assembly or modify the throttle tube. Reading other forums thats not uncommon. Changing the cables only takes 10 minutes if you need to.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 7:58 pm

what i mean is there must be considerable leeway regarding the length of these cables, if you had an issue it would probably be with the length of the outer sleeve and thats easy to trim back
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 8:15 pm

All this talk had me curious so just measured my modded tube and has a 'wit' of 32mm and is using unmodified naked slinky glide cables from wemoto on the renthal ultra-low bars - so lower but wider than stock.

Dan
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 8:21 pm

what wit ? wot !
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 8:30 pm

lol you know what I mean bloody autocorrect