Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Ignition Switch problem

Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Ignition Switch problem

Post by Pugzilla on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 11:52 pm

For some reason recently, my ignition switch has developed a serious fault. I can only turn on the power when the key is 10-40 degrees counterclockwise to the 'ON' position. If the key slips into the 'ON' position then the power goes and the engine is dead. I could see this causing me to crash if it happens mid corner.

BIke has 34k miles if that is of any use.

Anyone know what's going on here?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Ignition Switch problem

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 6:35 am

This happened in my fireblade, its corrosion from water, wd40 into barrell with key in, on off load of times, i took top yoke off to get at electrical connections , fireblade ignition is in two parts i left key barrell and changed electrical connection under neath , connectipns were green u mite get away cleaning them
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 1:14 pm

I would agree that the key-switch can wear and certainly can take on water, so a good spray of WD-40 and some on/off action would be a good start.

If that doesn't fix it then you should check for loose and corroded connections (also as mentioned above).

If all of that doesn't fix it then you'll probably need a 'new' (or at least 'working') ignition switch. Might be worth using a multimeter on the old one to check that it is really broken.

As an interim measure you could install a (hidden) switch that bypasses the key-switch so the bike will at least stay 'on' when you want it to!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 5:32 pm