Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Exhaust Wrap

jerryfudd

Awesome!

Exhaust Wrap

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 4:50 pm

Hi,

Just curious but has anyone done or considered this? My motad SS pipes are going to need to be cleaned/covered so just thinking of my options and thought the wrap may give it a more classic look.....?

Dan
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Exhaust Wrap

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 6:01 pm

I quite like the look of exhaust wrap (black colour) and have considered it, however, I haven't quite worked out how you might clean it effectively, unlike stainless steel which you can just wash/dry, possibly lightly sand and then polish.

Now, you may not take your bike out in the rain :) but you can't help an itty-little bit of damp grot adhering to your downpipes and I fear that it may be very difficult to remove these from exhaust wrap.

Having said all this, you may have more idea about cleaning than me ;)

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 6:09 pm

I didnt say a word Laughing Laughing
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 6:11 pm

Exhaust wrap is NOT a good idea. It allows all sorts of damp s***e to be beautifully cooked on to the pipes and leads to much more rapid failure of same. Some racing cars used to use it in the engine bay area to protect mechanics during pit stops, but it has no other function. Nowadays if heat control is the intention, Zircotec is much more effective. But that is in a price range not usually achievable by CB500 owners.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 6:12 pm

I really wasn't taking the piss; I reckon that black exhaust wrap will probably look good when it is immaculate on an immaculate bike or will look good when all grotty on some kind of rat-bike - I fear the any of the in-between combination may be less than perfect...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 6:12 pm

@Beresford wrote:...Zircotec is much more effective. But that is in a price range not usually achievable by CB500 owners.

Is that the ceramic coating stuff?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 6:25 pm

I wasn't really thinking cream - although it would look the coolest IMO but aswell as the black ET mentioned I've also seen this 'titanium' colour (aswell as others if I probably look harder).

I was under no illusion that I might have to replace it every now and then (every other year?) to keep it looking fresh - as yes ET despite a fair weather ride I still do get road grot.

Heat control is not something that came into my mind Beresford - well only on the opposite side of that statement that the CB or the aftermarket downpipes may not like being so well insulated.

So cleanliness (which im surprised was the first thought to a bunch of CB owners lol) aside whats the thoughts?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 6:48 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:

@Beresford wrote:...Zircotec is much more effective. But that is in a price range not usually achievable by CB500 owners.

Is that the ceramic coating stuff?
Yep. You have to send the pipes to the Zircotec works. I don't know if they have sub-contractors but there may be other similar coatings available.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 8:11 pm

I've considered it on stock pipes but went the stainless route in the end.

If heat insulation isn't the goal then powdercoat might be an option for easier cleaning.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 10:47 pm

@ashcroc wrote:I've considered it on stock pipes but went the stainless route in the end.

If heat insulation isn't the goal then powdercoat might be an option for easier cleaning.

I think powder coating is thermoplastic and will just burn off exhausts.
In the past for cars I have used aluminium flame spraying on tubular manifolds, which works well against heat and corrosion. Here's some interesting reading.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_spraying

jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 11:11 pm

I certainly don't want to coat them, so it's either wrap or I'm breaking out the autosol.... Sad
burning_rubber
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by burning_rubber on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 7:56 pm

i had the wrap on for a bit, on my old rusty down pipes it looked good for about 6-9 months then i washed my bike with a jet washer (i know i shouldn't have)  it ripped off, lol  

the only 1 thing i can say about this is riding through puddles and stopping soon after, makes you think your bikes on fire as the steam catches up with you Laughing
burning_rubber
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by burning_rubber on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:07 am

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 1:01 am

Poor wee things. They look...............injured.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 7:16 am

@burning_rubber wrote:the only 1 thing i can say about this is riding through puddles and stopping soon after, makes you think your bikes on fire as the steam catches up with you Laughing

I don't think riding through puddles will be am issue for JerryFudd Laughing

Dan, personally I think the 'bling' of the stainless looks great against the black of your bike, more so when it's been autosold'd to death, and is really bright.

I don't know that you'd manage to wrap them in a way that would sit well with your OCD. It must be difficult to achieve an even wrap around the curve.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 08 Mar 2016, 12:40 pm

I've decided f' it and I'm going to wrap it come what may.

I'm looking at either PitKing or DEI branded stuff but can't decide between 'titanium' following the gold theme or black for longevity..... thoughts?

Now I need to get an idea on how much I need so time to drop Matt a pm Smile

Dan
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 08 Mar 2016, 12:57 pm

I'm glad you're going to do this, if only 'cos I'm interested in what it will look like and how long it will last Wink

Personally if I was doing it I'd go for black.
WJE500
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by WJE500 on Tue 08 Mar 2016, 8:29 pm

I have it on my other bike, (full on competitive stunt bike) because when the bike is red hot, you can touch the exhaust for a couple of seconds before it burns, rather than instantly! Obviously I'm not intentionally touching my exhaust, but if I crashed and bike landed on me, it should give me and my skin a little bit longer!!!
When its wet, it steams like hell, and it does collect ALOT of stones.

I considered it on my CB when the stock pipes were grotty, as would look great when new, but as previous comments say, after a little while, it would look horrible. Also as said, if they are damp, or holding the crap in, then its going to speed up the rot even more, so I also opted for the stainless equivalent, and I'm glad now.

Its a long shot on cb, but my heat wrap on over bike also had flames on it, where it had soaked some oil up :')
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 9:49 am

right, the wrap is on order..... not even a clue on how much id need so ordered 2 packs of 1"x15ft on the idea I can send the 2nd pack back if I don't use it.

Went with the titanium in the end as apparently its allot easier to work with, less messy as its not fibreglass (lavarock?), doesn't fade or require the sealing and colour spray that the black does.

should arrive this week but will get it on the bike within the next month or two along with an oil change.

Dan
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 09 Apr 2016, 8:40 pm

right, so I started this with two packs of 15 foot 1" wide wrap and quickly found Id massively understated how much it would take - it seems each downpipe takes 15' alone. then one pack had really loose thread and ended up having to send it back complaining about the quality which i replaced with the 50' pack which saw the job complete.

I already see from the 'today' thread that it isn't everyones cup of tea but I really like it Rolling Eyes

Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 09 Apr 2016, 9:19 pm

I'd hate to say but I think it would look a lot better if it was done right the way upto the end can rather than just half way.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:05 pm

As an alternative to wrapping ( whatever floats the boat ) has anybody any knowledge/experience of Cerakote. It looks the business and apparently much more affordable than Zircotec
http://www.hi-speccoatings.co.uk/hitemp.html

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 10 Apr 2016, 9:21 am

At least we don't have to look at your shockingly dirty pipes any more:

http://www.cb500club.net/t4422-1st-club-meet-of-the-year

I think James may have a point.. Did we have enough left over?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 10 Apr 2016, 9:26 am

We did but it's heat control header wrap....... we wrapped to the bracket at the end of the headers.

granted I did it for aesthetic reasons (and thankfully I'm happy with it) but I doubt the heat generated by the link pipe would warrant wrapping therefore in my opinion look silly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:19 pm