Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

In the news today...

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Re: In the news today...

Post by trevor machine on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 1:34 pm

I have to say I find this pretty fucking strange. Firstly, yes of course - ludicrously disproportionate. But close on the heels of that, strange. And strange because, for decades now the reality is that "the biker" has surely been changing steadily. The once-renowned "one percenter" has probably become something more like the 0.0001 percenter. That Marlon Brando stereotype - the Sonny Barger figure etc., is an increasingly distant memory, far outnumbered by two somewhat different characters; the twenty or thirty something sports bike guy, and the senior bloke (BMW GS etc.).

I don't honestly know where judges and juries are getting their ideas from. 99.999% of riders are in my experience bloody boring and more normal than the next person. Obviously *I* don't find them boring because like them, I love bikes - and as we all know only too well, we can yak on and on about minutiae for hours on end. But after that we tend to go home, put the kettle on and...go on line and start all over again.

I'm genuinely perplexed by the ways in which supposedly sensible people will conflate those who ride motorbikes with incestuous paedophiles and wilful manslaughterers.

It'd be interesting to see some statistics relating to the sentencing of speeding motorcyclists over the past few decades, because it wouldn't surprise me if severity has increased. Which, when put in context with what must surely be the shrinking shadow of the outlaw biker we once knew and loved, seems contradictory at best. As bikers have become more boring and (generally) law-abiding, public and police perception of the motorcyclist seems increasingly jaundiced.

Why? I honestly can't fathom it. But I do wonder if as a society we're becoming more risk averse - and when people encounter something in life that goes against that, it's seen as perverse. As gleeful, recidivist risk takers those of us who ride motorbikes are much worse than common-or-garden law breakers - these latter characters can never be condoned...but they're not entirely confounding, for the most part. However those riding motorbikes are beyond people's understanding. Why would they do that?? What the hell possesses them, etc. etc.?? We quickly start to get filed with the sick and the weird, and receive commensurate sentences. Two years - unbelievably disproportionate.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 2:27 pm

Great post Trev.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 2:41 pm

+1

it does seem to be that as soon as a non-biker learns you ride they seem to think you're a hooligan with the grim reaper riding pillion but burying the throttle pedal while sitting in a cage is just fine.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 5:02 pm

Most of the time we're only going to hurt ourselves - let us get on with it, I say. So you might get a face full of airbag when you sorry mate you didn't see us. Big wow - we're a mangled corpse in the gutter. Our insurance will pay for your paintwork so don't fret too much. However if by some miracle we're still okay, deign to come over to us. Help us get our lids off. Oh and what's that behind the visor, there within the brain bucket. Yes that's right - a bloke looking pale with shock, trying to smile it off, probably with grand kids in the next town, an old ford focus in the drive at home, and a wife wanting some shelves put up. AND THAT'S IT!! No meth lab. No fuck pigs. Nothing. Honestly - I don't get where the myth or the threat or the stereotype is coming from any more. It withered away decades ago afaict.
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 8:00 pm

I love your flow Trevor. I can only hope you have an overpaid job somewhere as a motivational speaker!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 9:05 pm

Yeah trevor right, yes that guy was driving like a dick, but car drivers do just as bad everyday, you only have too look at the video of guy on his i think fj 1300 when black renault clio pulled across his path causing his death, car  driver got off lightly as they said biker was speeding. His mother put his helmet camera video up on you tube very sad Sad
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 10:16 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Yeah trevor right, yes that guy was driving like a dick, but car drivers do just as bad everyday, you only have too look at the video of guy on his i think fj 1300 when black renault clio pulled across his path causing his death, car  driver got off lightly as they said biker was speeding. His mother put his helmet camera video up on you tube very sad Sad
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 1:15 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:

@wornsprokets wrote:Yeah trevor right, yes that guy was driving like a dick, but car drivers do just as bad everyday, you only have too look at the video of guy on his i think fj 1300 when black renault clio pulled across his path causing his death, car  driver got off lightly as they said biker was speeding. His mother put his helmet camera video up on you tube very sad :(

Not nice.

But there wasn't much he (or anyone other than the car driver) could have done about that. He could have been going slower, but really, unless you go everywhere at a snail's pace, pausing at every junction to let the cagers out it could happen to you. I think that is just something we all accept.

BTW I'm not saying you shouldn't try and be as safe as you want to be - accidents are certainly less bad at lower speed and you certainly have more time to react, so slowing down at junctions etc is almost certainly a Good Thing for everyone, it just can't eliminate all the risk.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 4:27 pm

He was approaching the busy junction at 97mph according to reports!! I think it's fair to say he most certainly should have been going slower. 

What the wide angle view of that camera doesn't show is that he'd have seen those oncoming cars, and the junction, earlier than we do in the video and he should absolutely not have continued accelerating like he did. I'd have been down to 60 ish when I saw the junction (providing I wasn't being tailgated which is highly unlikely at 80-90mph!) and then slower still when I saw cars approaching who could turn across my path. I certainly wouldn't call approaching a junction with oncoming cars at 50-60mph snail's pace! I'd have given a weave or two in the road to increase the likelihood of being seen as well, and probably continued to slow until I felt certain, or as certain as possible, that I'd been seen. In this clip there wasn't even remotely time for any of this. Even if the w*nker car driver had turned in that situation, there'd have been more time for me to brake or swerve, and of course, most importantly, a much higher chance that he'd have seen me. If the worst STILL came to the worst, which of course it could as you say, eternally_troubled, I'd think there'd be much more chance of surviving a T-bone at 30/40/50mph than at 97mph as here.

I hate to seem to be in any way slagging off a fellow rider who's died in those circumstances, or sound self-righteous (although I guess that's unavoidable when writing what I'm writing!) but by no stretch of the imagination is the riding in that video in any way defensive, which we all know we MUST be all the time if we're going to survive on these increasingly busy and ignoramus-riddled roads. I ride at 70-100 almost all the time on single carriageway A-roads but as soon as there are junctions, particularly with cars around, I back down and prepare for the very worst. Of course that's no guarantee but I think by far the biggest difference is that spotting an approaching motorcycle that's travelling at 50 or 60 is potentially tricky, but spotting one doing 97 is probably getting on for four times more so. We have to give muppet car drivers at least a bit of a chance of spotting us. .
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 5:40 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:I ride at 70-100 almost all the time on single carriageway A-roads

I don't think I'd be posting that on a public forum, you never know who is reading.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 6:00 pm

You'll notice I fail to specify the units. I'm talking about km/h of course!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 6:09 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:.

I hate to seem to be in any way slagging off a fellow rider who's died in those circumstances....

I wouldn't worry. I assume the whole reason that his family posted that camera footage was to try and provoke a little thought...

(I also agree with you, I would have tried not to be going *that* fast at a junction...)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 22 Jun 2017, 9:27 pm