Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

In the news today...

jerryfudd

Awesome!

In the news today...

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 12:11 pm

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-videos/motorcyclist-jailed-after-police-seize-camera-footage/30728.html#ixzz3yFg5NYoa

Dan
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Re: In the news today...

Post by HomeBrew on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 7:19 pm

Two years in jail for that? He really should find some country roads, speeding through villages IS stupid, but didn't look that unsafe?? Bikes do accelerate and decelerate a lot quicker than cars and need less room.....
ratatooie
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by ratatooie on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 8:36 am

@HomeBrew wrote:Bikes do accelerate and decelerate a lot quicker than cars and need less room.....

Depends very much on the car and the bike in terms of braking. Average bike vs average car, the bike will likely win. Sporty bike vs sporty car, the car will pretty much always win.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 12:30 pm

I looked at the video - lots of it looked stupid, some of it just looked like fast riding......

A point to note:  one of the things they did him for was crossing a solid white line to overtake - while this seems minor it is an offence and they will do you for it.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 12:49 pm

Does anyone know the technicality of not 'crossing' the solid white line, but still over taking on the inside of it. i.e. Filtering when one is there. I do do that and I always wonder if some pedantic cop is going to do something horrible to me for it!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 12:53 pm

@liverpool_f_ wrote:Does anyone know the technicality of not 'crossing' the solid white line, but still over taking on the inside of it. i.e. Filtering when one is there. I do do that and I always wonder if some pedantic cop is going to do something horrible to me for it!

I *think* that is fine (assuming you are doing it in a safe way), it's just crossing the line that is verboten.

TBH the cop who is a real pedant/idiot will haul you up for things that are legal, like filtering.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 12:59 pm

In my opinion the solids are to stop cars overtaking but its a bit different for bikes that can filter close to traffic so in theory if I ever were presented with such a line - which I'm sure I haven't commuting into the city every day ( Rolling Eyes ) id treat it as a grey area and be mindful of everyone around you Smile

The only time I ever held back from filtering near the police, they were on bikes also and filtered round me so tend not to worry so much anymore.

Dan
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:02 pm

Rule 129

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Rule 211

It is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists, especially when they are coming up from behind, coming out of junctions, at roundabouts, overtaking you or filtering through traffic. Always look out for them before you emerge from a junction; they could be approaching faster than you think. When turning right across a line of slow-moving or stationary traffic, look out for cyclists or motorcyclists on the inside of the traffic you are crossing. Be especially careful when turning, and when changing direction or lane. Be sure to check mirrors and blind spots carefully.

Rule 88

Manoeuvring. You should be aware of what is behind and to the sides before manoeuvring. Look behind you; use mirrors if they are fitted. When in traffic queues look out for pedestrians crossing between vehicles and vehicles emerging from junctions or changing lanes. Position yourself so that drivers in front can see you in their mirrors. Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:07 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

sounds good to me Smile

Dan
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:12 pm

late last year my mate was crossing some double whites and was spotted by a cop and now my mate is having to go on a speed awareness course, nothing to do with speeding just the fact he was crossing the lines
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:12 pm

That rule's always made me laugh a bit. How are we supposed to measure their speed? I certainly cross solid lines to overtake tractors doing 20-25mph. I wonder if I'd be done for this as (a) they're doing more than 10mph and (b) tractors aren't mentioned.

Incidentally, I interpret 'a stationary' vehicle as including cars stopped in traffic. Some disagree with this and think it means 'parked', but elsewhere in the Highway Code, in rule 114, the phrase 'stationary queues of traffic' is used - surely a legal document such as this can't have two definitions of the word 'stationary'? Anyhow that's the argument I have up my sleeve if I ever get done for crossing a solid line whilst filtering past 'stationary' traffic ;-)
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:16 pm

I thought the same about the 'stationary' but then decided it didnt say if it had to be unoccupied and stationary does mean stopped Smile

I also considered how would you know their speed, but i guess if you are following them at 10mph then you know their speed.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:19 pm

Haha yes that's very true about the speed.

I must say I think the rider in that video was a cretin and deserved to be done over by the law. However I think two years in prison is excessive.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:19 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:That rule's always made me laugh a bit. How are we supposed to measure their speed? I certainly cross solid lines to overtake tractors doing 20-25mph. I wonder if I'd be done for this as (a) they're doing more than 10mph and (b) tractors aren't mentioned.

Incidentally, I interpret 'a stationary' vehicle as including cars stopped in traffic. Some disagree with this and think it means 'parked', but elsewhere in the Highway Code, in rule 114, the phrase 'stationary queues of traffic' is used - surely a legal document such as this can't have two definitions of the word 'stationary'? Anyhow that's the argument I have up my sleeve if I ever get done for crossing a solid line whilst filtering past 'stationary' traffic ;-)

I don't think you'd have a real problem in either case, especially if you are doing it in a sensible way...

From just having a quick read of the highway code on the .gov.uk website I'm pretty sure that when it means 'parked' or 'parking' it says just that, so 'stationary' can be taken at its dictionary definition of 'not moving'.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:23 pm

Actually, I mentioned this (crossing solid line whilst filtering past stationary traffic) to a police rider when I did a Bikesafe course, and he sort of didn't want to say either way...
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:25 pm

they need to release a book called the bikers interpretation of the highway code Smile

I don't really have a problem with the maneuvers in the video - however the beyond excessive speed and the wheelie are a no no.

That said at the rate he is passing traffic it doesn't look like he is doing 140 odd?

Dan
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:38 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:they need to release a book called the bikers interpretation of the highway code Smile

LOL!

Yeah I agree, when I say he was a cretin it's the speeding in built-up/residential areas I'm mostly referring to. That REALLY annoys me, especially when cars do it - as well as obviously dangerous it's just f*cking antisocial for people who live there. I'm no saint - I interpret national speed limit as ∞ mph (or maybe 100 Rolling Eyes ) - but it's just so dumb from every perspective to habitually speed in towns and villages, and there's just no need.

He also overtakes opposite RH junctions/entrances which is idiotic.

I don't quite understand though why the law comes down so heavily on this kind of behaviour - excessive speed and bad overtakes on a 180kg vehicle - vs stuff like texting whilst doing 70mph in a 1300kg vehicle for example, let alone some of the sentences people receive for killing someone through negligent driving. It somehow doesn't seem proportionate.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 3:17 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:

I don't quite understand though why the law comes down so heavily on this kind of behaviour - excessive speed and bad overtakes on a 180kg vehicle - vs stuff like texting whilst doing 70mph in a 1300kg vehicle for example, let alone some of the sentences people receive for killing someone through negligent driving. It somehow doesn't seem proportionate.

He's being made an example of. Most people are not bikers (most drive cars) and will see this as the 'nasty, dangerous law-breaking biker getting what he deserves'. He's also an easy target because of the video evidence...
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 3:31 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:He's being made an example of.  Most people are not bikers (most drive cars) and will see this as the 'nasty, dangerous law-breaking biker getting what he deserves'.  He's also an easy target because of the video evidence...

agreed, I removed my camera from the helmet and went with a fork mount by means of a rollbar mount to save nit picking if I did happen to stray 5mph over the speed limit and the camera picking it up.

I got the camera to protect me, not condemn Smile

Dan
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 8:49 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:
@eternally_troubled wrote:He's being made an example of.  Most people are not bikers (most drive cars) and will see this as the 'nasty, dangerous law-breaking biker getting what he deserves'.  He's also an easy target because of the video evidence...

agreed, I removed my camera from the helmet and went with a fork mount by means of a rollbar mount to save nit picking if I did happen to stray 5mph over the speed limit and the camera picking it up.

I got the camera to protect me, not condemn :)

Dan

They can work out how fast you are going even if they can't see your speedo, it just takes a little more work! Mind you, like most people police are lazy, so there's no point in making it easy for them...
ironman
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by ironman on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 7:53 am

Hi Im about to start riding again after 40 years on and in 4 wheels and have wondered how bikers interpret this rule as most seem to ignore it. Oddly enuf i was folowed by group of three police bikes the other day who stuck to the rule like glue and didnt cross the line. Maybe its up to the individual police person and how safe the rider is anyway. After all if we ride like prats we should be pulled over. I mean the guy in the vid spent more time on the wrong side of the road regardless of lines than he did the right side (or left but u know what i mean)
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 9:33 am

Think the video was a compilation of clips that they found on his confiscated camera so might not be as prolific as we think.

I think allot of the time it might be what their assigned task for the day is and how much time they have to give someone a pointless ticking off for a minor infringement or and even more pointless write up when so many questions are asked about is our tax paying money going to good use.

I see plenty of illegal number plates on cars and bikes but would be pretty pointless and time consuming to stop and penalize all of them.

The only thing that boils me at the moment was a few weeks back my front tyre was 1/2 a foot into the cycle box at the traffic lights and I got threatened with fines and 3 points and since then ive been absolutely religious about not close to being in them (I was before but now even more so) but every other bugger is flouting it more than I was and no traffic light 'guard' in sight. Even more annoying is that the particular lights in question are outside a police station.

(on another note I once passed a woman driving with a medium sized dog on her lap having to look round it to see and another using the front facing camera to apply makeup.... both were moving at the time)

Dan
ironman
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by ironman on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:11 am

Another case of one rule for them! Plus bikers are easy targets!
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 3:03 am

@jerryfudd wrote:Think the video was a compilation of clips that they found on his confiscated camera so might not be as prolific as we think.

I think allot of the time it might be what their assigned task for the day is and how much time they have to give someone a pointless ticking off for a minor infringement or and even more pointless write up when so many questions are asked about is our tax paying money going to good use.

I see plenty of illegal number plates on cars and bikes but would be pretty pointless and time consuming to stop and penalize all of them.

The only thing that boils me at the moment was a few weeks back my front tyre was 1/2 a foot into the cycle box at the traffic lights and I got threatened with fines and 3 points and since then ive been absolutely religious about not close to being in them (I was before but now even more so) but every other bugger is flouting it more than I was and no traffic light 'guard' in sight. Even more annoying is that the particular lights in question are outside a police station.

(on another note I once passed a woman driving with a medium sized dog on her lap having to look round it to see and another using the front facing camera to apply makeup.... both were moving at the time)

Dan
Such a pity we no longer need tax discs. When we had them it clearly stated we were riding bycicles so should logically be allowed in those boxes. Twisted Evil
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 9:24 am

Another clip from another channel I watch having their take on the footage, quite funny in places with some food for thought near the end.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 6:31 am