Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Champion oil filters good or bad

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Champion oil filters good or bad

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 24 Jan 2016, 12:49 pm

Has anyone used champion oil filters from halfrauds on their bikes, i found one at home i had for the fireblade , i think i heard they were not great and thats why i didnt use it, and used a hiflo oil filter on fireblade(1996)and cb. The filter wil fit either of my bikes mite use it on cb on next oil change
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Champion oil filters good or bad

Post by Beresford on Sun 24 Jan 2016, 2:22 pm

WS, oil filters vary a lot in quality and from all I have read, you are best to stick to just a few makes. Mobil, which are not readily available in europe, and K&N. However it just so happens that HiFlo are made by the same (japanese I believe ) factory that make the K&Ns, and to the same quality standards. K&N s sometimes leak around the welded-on end nut so I'd stick to HiFlos.
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 24 Jan 2016, 4:56 pm

I use Hiflo. Never had an issue with those.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 1:27 pm

I think the problem with oil filters is that you won't be able to tell how good they are until a long time in the future when it's far too late to do anything about it.

I remember that when I compared a Honda original filter with a pattern one the paper inside the Honda one had many extra 'folds' in it suggesting a larger filter area hence maybe a finer filtration or maybe just less flow restriction?

(Also - I moved your topic to 'General'...)
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 1:30 pm

@Beresford wrote:WS, oil filters vary a lot in quality and from all I have read, you are best to stick to just a few makes. Mobil, which are not readily available in europe, and K&N. However it just so happens that HiFlo are made by the same (japanese I believe ) factory that make the K&Ns, and to the same quality standards. K&N s sometimes leak around the welded-on end nut so I'd stick to HiFlos.

+1 on the HiFlo though decided to try out the K&N on the last change although didn't use the nut.... will save that bonus for the removal.

Dan
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 1:43 pm

My last K&N got impossibly stuck on. The nut didn't stand a chance. No idea how it got so tight. I only ever hand tighten them when I install them and only tighten more if there is a leak. 

I have no idea if a different brand would have been easier to remove under the same circumstances but I have heard reports of other getting their K&N filters getting stuck. Hiflo and K&N are both made by someone else, whose name I have forgotten so no doubt the Hiflo i just put on will be exactly the same
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 1:55 pm

I probably should get some sort of filter removal tool but as you say I also only do them hand tight so come off without issue, however if the dealers been at it I've had to resort to hammer and screwdriver persuasion Rolling Eyes
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 7:20 pm

Put them on hand tight. How you take them off doesn't really matter ( except for the mess !! ) The Honda filter is easily accessable but my Tiger has a similar - but smaller - filter which is surrounded by the sump casting and the only way to get at it to remove it, without one of those socket tool things was to ram a large screwdriver through it and lever !!
Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:57 am