Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Side Panel Repair

Invisible_Man
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Side Panel Repair

Post by Invisible_Man on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 6:51 pm

Hi,
Currently tidying the bike up ready for spring. Repairing corrosion etc. Whilst taking the RH side panel off the lug, which has been threatening to break for sometime, finally snapped off leaving a nice hole in my panel.

I've been looking on eBay since i bought the bike in 2007 for a new panel but they appear to be as rare as rocking horse sh*t.

Whats the best way to repair these lugs?

I was thinking epoxy resin and glass cloth to attach the lug back onto the panel and then some kind of filler to fill the gap left. Sand down flush and then spray paint or put a sticker over it lol 

Thanks in advance,
Shaun.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Side Panel Repair

Post by Beresford on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 7:01 pm

Weld it.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 7:12 pm

Every time i take off those side panels ,the lugs are near on verge of breaking, i put red rubber grease on lugs and rubber holders but stil same not good design, plastic welding be only answer , davidsilverspares has them new but there near 80 pounds per panel! For some reason ive see few cb s with panel missing one that rhs. Mine was missing also when i got it
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 12:57 pm

You can try Plastex/plastech. I have never used it but I have heard good things. That is my plan to repair my fairing with snapped off lugs. You can use it to reattach it and also make new parts with it. It looks like cool stuff
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 1:12 pm

@liverpool_f_ wrote:You can try Plastex/plastech. I have never used it but I have heard good things. That is my plan to repair my fairing with snapped off lugs. You can use it to reattach it and also make new parts with it. It looks like cool stuff

I have also heard good things about this stuff.

I think, assuming I could find a suitable source of plastic, I might have a go at welding it first...
Invisible_Man
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Invisible_Man on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 1:49 pm

Hey all,
Thanks for the replies. Looked at the plastex stuff but its quite pricey! I'm going to ring round some body shops first and see if they'll plastic weld it for me for a fair price before I destroy the panel.....I'm pretty good with spanners.....not so good with paint, glue bodywork etc.
Cheers,
IM
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 2:29 pm

Can't say I've tried but remembered watching these videos...

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 3:53 pm

Just spent 10 mins looking for that video !!! Rolling Eyes
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 4:14 pm

@Beresford wrote:Just spent 10 mins looking for that video !!! Rolling Eyes

Google is your friend Smile .....just typed Moonfleet41 plastic weld 

Dan
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 6:38 pm

It would have been quicker but I started to watch some of his videos for more hints ....as you do....... study
Invisible_Man
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Invisible_Man on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 10:34 pm

Hi,
Rang a few body shops but they all said it couldn't be welded and must be bonded...I don't know the difference but I do know I wasn't paying 45 + vat so repaired it myself.

First of all glued the pieces back in with super glue aka cyano. Then I built up round the lug using Loctite epoxy pelets. This has actually created a very strong repair and only cost 3 quid! To help ease the lug into the tank I used plenty of grease.

I don't imagine it will last forever but if it holds for a year and then has to be repaired again its hardly expensive. 

IM
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 10:49 pm

@Invisible_Man wrote:Hi,
Rang a few body shops but they all said it couldn't be welded
IM

I think DelBoy could show those guys a thing or two about old school bike work.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 1:34 pm

@Invisible_Man wrote:Hi,
Rang a few body shops but they all said it couldn't be welded and must be bonded...I don't know the difference but I do know I wasn't paying 45 + vat so repaired it myself.

First of all glued the pieces back in with super glue aka cyano. Then I built up round the lug using Loctite epoxy pelets. This has actually created a very strong repair and only cost 3 quid! To help ease the lug into the tank I used plenty of grease.

I don't imagine it will last forever but if it holds for a year and then has to be repaired again its hardly expensive. 

IM

The reason they say that is that most places want to be able to guarantee their work, so if it looks 'a bit dodgy' they don't want to know.

Sounds like you managed an effective repair anyway; have you got a picture of the repaired bit?
Invisible_Man
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Invisible_Man on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 1:45 pm

Hi,
Yer I'll post it tonight as its on my laptop Smile Its not pretty on the inside but its never seen. Hoping to filler the outside, smooth it off then stick something over it...ie Honda badge or a dash/dot sticker. 

Quite happy with the repair as it looks no worse than it was when i bought the bike but now seems a bit stronger.

IM
Invisible_Man
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Invisible_Man on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 8:18 pm

Hi,
Photo of the repair.

Cheers,
Shaun R.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 8:39 pm

this is close up of lug off radiator cover panel its about 12mm long

The lhs side panel with fuel tap gap

This is rear plastics turned up side down no lugs, just holes where rear shock bolts go through, hope this helps  scratch lugs are same on side panel and radiator cover panel Sleep

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:36 pm