Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Front shock spares parts?

skyerae
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Front shock spares parts?

Post by skyerae on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 7:23 pm

Looking to rebuild my front shock absorbers as my seals are leaking. It said on my MOT advisory that there was light misting on the stanchions - they should see it when it rains, and the oil running down the fork legs!! I would like to replace the seals and dust seals with OEM or OEM equivalent seals but can't seem to source any on the web - are there any, and if so where do I order them from? I really don't want to replace them too often so willing to pay more for quality items (as well durability as I cover about 12000 miles during the riding season in Scotland)
Jameshambleton

Re: Front shock spares parts?

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 7:40 pm

I do believe they are 37x50x11mm. Lextek do good stuff I believe, not too sure about their seals though.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 8:03 pm

This is the usual place
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB500SY-SPORT-2000/part_69414/
rwhitton
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 9:24 pm

Yep, David Silver for genuine parts.
Mad_Taffy_500
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Mad_Taffy_500 on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 10:36 pm

Also try https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/

Post by Guest on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 3:32 pm

Or www.cmsnl.com
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 8:30 am

Also, before you get the job done, wrap a cloth around the lower part of the fork with a cable tie. Mine leaked and the fluid got on the brakes. It meant my brakes were terrible and I needed to bin off the pads
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 10:26 am

@liverpool_f_ wrote:Also, before you get the job done, wrap a cloth around the lower part of the fork with a cable tie. Mine leaked and the fluid got on the brakes. It meant my brakes were terrible and I needed to bin off the pads

Would have probably been easier to remove the whole fork leg...

Dan
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 11:38 am

@jerryfudd wrote:

@liverpool_f_ wrote:Also, before you get the job done, wrap a cloth around the lower part of the fork with a cable tie. Mine leaked and the fluid got on the brakes. It meant my brakes were terrible and I needed to bin off the pads

Would have probably been easier to remove the whole fork leg...

Dan
I meant if you are still riding it with leaking shocks
skyerae
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by skyerae on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 7:19 pm

Been riding it for months with leaking shocks but so far none on the pads as of yet, the left leg is the worst culprit. Once it is sorted there is a new set of pads to be fitted (but will run this pair to the bitter end - have to get my money's worth!!)
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 1:19 pm

@skyerae wrote:Been riding it for months with leaking shocks but so far none on the pads as of yet, the left leg is the worst culprit. Once it is sorted there is a new set of pads to be fitted (but will run this pair to the bitter end - have to get my money's worth!!)

Don't forget your bit of kitchen roll under the dust caps to soak up the fork oil, replace before MOT Razz
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 1:27 pm

Is there a solution to fix slightly pitted forks or Shocked is it rechroming them, one my fork seals leaks now and then, ive a pair of fork seals to go in .but dont really want to spend 180 euro to rechrome them
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 1:59 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Is there a solution to fix slightly pitted forks or Shocked is it rechroming them, one my fork seals leaks now and then, ive a pair of fork seals to go in .but dont really want to spend 180 euro to rechrome them

EternallyTroubled had a good solution for this, scrape out any rust and fill the pits with araldite, use some wet and dry to get it flush.
skyerae
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by skyerae on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 6:03 am

Want to try and get it done before this season riding starts again, I normally start around about March - we're of the hardy breed up here in Scotland!! But have so many other pressing needs as well, oh well. Will order parts for this project this weekend and get the forks off the bike at least.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 9:38 am

It's not a bad job, when you get the forks stripped check the condition of the top and bottom bushes as the teflon coating wears away over time.
skyerae
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by skyerae on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 7:59 pm

Have ordered a seal driver off the bay of evil (ebay to the uninitiated) and a good few parts off Fowlers as well. Used to get all my Yamaha bits off them which are still sitting in the shed with the bike in bits - don't even ask.......... So looking to get the job done next weekend or so which will means it will be snowing or pissing down with rain. Can always ask the boss (my wife) if I can do it inside...........or maybe not!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 7:29 am