Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

New handle bars

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

New handle bars

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 19 Jan 2016, 9:53 pm

When i got my cb from 4th owner, i think the handle bar is slight twisted on rhs, it was lightly droped or fell over, i wouldnt mind  rental bars, what would u recommend what are ones schaaf has, ive i straighten bars before back in the day with a scaffold tube but it weakens the steel. Oh i ment to say on issues of coolant loss i had last few weeks honda in ( ireland) wanted for a new radiator  cap 43 euro for a new radiator cap affraid   got second hand one for 10 euro
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Re: New handle bars

Post by geewhizz on Tue 19 Jan 2016, 10:20 pm

i just buggered my handle bars trying to get one of the bar end weights out, and was just about to post the same question. not sure if i fancy fully straight bar like the racer (unless they're great for the road) but would be looking to get something a little lower than stock, and hopefully in gold to match the wheels of course...
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 19 Jan 2016, 10:49 pm

I've also recently been toying with the idea of renthal bars even though I like the stock bars but I've never used anything else. I've been looking at this as a thought but I've not measured the height of the stock bars. I don't want to have to fit a longer clutch cable with mine so I've held off for now until I'm sure that I won't need a longer clutch cable. 

Schaaf's bars are renthal but he is unsure about what variant they are as a previous owner had them fitted, he has also said that riding a cb5 with stock bars is almost unrideable (from memory).
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Tue 19 Jan 2016, 11:15 pm

I was looking that those too James and the ultra lows... Good point about the cables, although it's cheap and an easy job if it's just the clutch cable that would need doing
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 20 Jan 2016, 8:05 am

I've got the 758 'ultra low' on my naked CB with standard cables, the lower rise partially compensates for them being wider however I did have to move the controls very slightly inwards and 'relax' the metal bend on the clutch cable with a vice and soft grips. Its easy enough to do just pop it in there so looks something like this |(| and start winding in the vice slowly with frequent test fits to check how much more to do.

Just searching around and these are the best pics I have to hand....

Dan
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Wed 20 Jan 2016, 9:32 am

Just saw delboys vid https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vWX4Nddkz8o
Instead of drilling holes delboy sanded the plastic Button in the switch assembly's instead of drill the bars...

I think I'll get the ultra lows they look good on both bikes, did you drill the bars or sand back the button jerryfudd?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 20 Jan 2016, 9:39 am

IIrc he drilled them but it's been a while since I read his rebuild thread.

Sanding/cutting off the lugs works but you might find you then need to wrap some tape around the bars to give the switchgear something to hold on to. Of course, it also means you have the option of adjusting the pitch of the bars more if your not happy with the set up.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 20 Jan 2016, 9:39 am

@geewhizz wrote:did you drill the bars or sand back the button jerryfudd?

I drilled the ones on the CB, but more recently sanded down the rizoma's I bought for the triple. its certainly less nerve racking.

Don't forget you'll also need new bar ends to suit the smaller ID..... I think its about 13mm

Dan

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Wed 20 Jan 2016, 3:18 pm

HI,
I've renthal 759 ultra lows on mine. They fitted tightly with the oe clutch cable so I got the cable made up 6 inches longer, and a longer choke cable too.

I drilled the switchgear hole a cm further in than standard thinking I might fit barend mirrors. All good, the bars have been on for a few years. I have another bike with oe bars and the difference is quite pronounced.

NB renthal do a range of bar ends.

muttley1
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 20 Jan 2016, 3:23 pm

@muttley1 wrote:NB renthal do a range of bar ends.

I'm not sure about the 'range' but I bought the Renthal bar ends and they looked terrible, like odd nipples sticking out from the bars..... think I binned them.

I've found 'Keiti' ones inexpensive and look good except I left the sticker off the end and to leave the bolt exposed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEITI-Motorcycle-Bike-Bar-End-Weights-13-18mm-BLACK-/321387459152?hash=item4ad42f7250:g:FNoAAOxy7nNTWEHr

geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 10:06 am

ordered the ultra lows in grey and medium compound renthal grips...excited!

(best price i found was from busters)
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 10:08 am

@geewhizz wrote:ordered the ultra lows in grey and medium compound renthal grips...excited!

ah, ya bugger...... very jealous.

I REALLY wanted those in that colour for the Street but they use fat bars so had to go with the Rizoma's - in black Neutral

Dan
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 5:11 pm

haha, well i'll post some pictures when its complete, i think i might have gone a bit grey/silver-centric as my bike is silver too but why not
trophydave
Godly
Godly

Post by trophydave on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 12:20 pm

I have got some Renthal bars kicking about in my garage if you are interested.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 8:15 pm