Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

A interesting observation

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

A interesting observation

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 2:37 pm

Over the Christmas break my job has re-located to another office - I now have to travel rather further and on faster roads to get to work.

Anyway, for those of you that are interested, here is how my mpg has changed:

6 miles across town, twice a day 5 days a week : 45 mpg (170 miles for 17 litres)

16 miles, dual carriageway and fast A roads, twice a day 5 days a week : 58 mpg (219 miles for 17 litres)

I haven't done anything different to the bike or changed anything else, the difference is purely down to the length of my journey and how much less acceleration/stopping and starting is required when not going through town (traffic lights etc).

I had previously made similar observations when comparing the mpg I got riding at the weekend for pleasure vs. during the week commuting to (previous) place of work - however I hadn't ever measured it properly.

So it just shows how much the route has to do with your mpg.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: A interesting observation

Post by ashcroc on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 3:01 pm

That's quite a MPG increase just from keeping at cruising speeds instead of stopping & starting all the time.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 5:20 pm

On my 25mile commute to college I get about 50-52mpg with about 10% of it been start stop traffic and I can't filter it.. grrr and half is about 30/50mph raods depending on traffic, on longer runs it's more more about 56-58mpg.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 7:39 pm

That's very good mpg   e.t   whats your average speed on that trip, i must ride very fast ive just about get 190 miles to tank.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 12 Jan 2016, 12:51 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:That's very good mpg   e.t   whats your average speed on that trip, i must ride very fast ive just about get 190 miles to tank.

I was quite shocked at it too... I reckon that about the first 2 miles of it are at about 30 or 40 mph on single carriageway, the next 5 miles are on the motorway around 70 mph, the next 5 miles are a bit slower, say 40 or 50 while negotiating the traffic on a dual carriageway and the last 4 or 5 miles are at 50 on a single carriageway.

Generally most of it doesn't involve stopping and I try not to accelerate too madly (which may help the mpg a bit).

The previous journey was all accelerating from 0 to 30 or 40 and then stopping at traffic-lights repeatedly.

Amusingly in the (roughly) week and a half since I started doing this rather longer, rather faster journey my downpipes have given up the ghost (now really loud!) and my heated grip controller has gone on the blink!
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Fri 15 Jan 2016, 11:29 am

I wonder has anyone ever calculated the difference between the standard cb and the s model on mpg at cruising speeds. I am sure it is worth a few miles but no idea now many
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 15 Jan 2016, 1:35 pm

@liverpool_f_ wrote:I wonder has anyone ever calculated the difference between the standard cb and the s model on mpg at cruising speeds. I am sure it is worth a few miles but no idea now many

I guess that depends how much you crouch down over the tank! (Done my fair share of tank hugging on long distance Wink )
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 15 Jan 2016, 1:53 pm

@teamster1975 wrote:I guess that depends how much you crouch down over the tank! (Done my fair share of tank hugging on long distance Wink )

Indeed. I've emptied two tanks of petrol in one go, crouched over my tankbag, going at 100+ mph.

40 mpg.

Same bike, averaged over some 20.000 miles: 62 mpg.

Not only does crouching matter. Speed matters too.

To get the mpg up, go smooth, try to avoid braking, coming to a crawl or going WOT. Also, given the ludicrous aerodynamics of the CB, avoid clothes flapping around. Rumour has it that this is one of the advantages of leather clothing - it doesn't do that.

I believe @Badseeds terms this 'quick & smooth'.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 16 Dec 2017, 3:04 pm