Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What sportbike after a CB500?

Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

What sportbike after a CB500?

Post by Pugzilla on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 8:47 pm

I'll be getting a sportbike later this year. It will be my second ever bike after the CB500, which I've had for nearly 3 years now.

I'm considering one of the jap 600s or the Gixxer 750.

Anyone have thoughts on these? The bike will be purely a weekend toy.

Would I be mad to even consider a 1000cc like a R1 or Fireblade?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: What sportbike after a CB500?

Post by sullivj on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 8:54 pm

Maybe a CB600 hornet naked? Much quicker than our humble CB500, but not so dissimilar that you wouldn't like it.

R1 is a very different animal. Nice, but like the GXSR, do you really want to go that quick yet?
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Pugzilla on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 9:17 pm

In all honesty I don't need the performance of a sportbike. I just think they're cool.

I need a something with a fairing that handles well though.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 9:26 pm

A hornet 600 a great bike, i had a 92 and 93 cbr 600 f2 use the same engine as hornet  its near unburstable.  Fazer 600 great bike (early ones) ive an eldery fireblade she 20 this month unburstable engine too, it had weight of a 600 but near power of 1000, but nowadays it only got power of modern 600. An r1 in not a good idea as a second bike as there pretty wild power wise. A  cbr 600 f3 or newer not cbr 600rr.gsxr 750 srad be on power with my old 96 blade. Remember sportsbikes are cramped things hard on back on wrist. Hornet 600/fazer/600/cbr 600 be better bet also plastic fairings are expensive to replace if they get damaged, also sportsbikes big size tyres are expensive ive a 180 rear tyre was 160euro

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 9:31 pm

If you want a half fairing, how about a CBF600? I have one. It's a great bike.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 9:44 pm

I dont know you age pugzilla, but if ur not over 25 in ireland , anything with cbr/zx6r/gsxr/r6/r1 much higher insurance bracket than cb.so before u buy get quotes from carol nash and they have to have an alarm also.. thats why hornet/ fazer are lower insurance brackets.and there 140plus mph bikes fast enough. Cbf 600(is a detune cbr 600 engine from 99 on as far as i am aware)
If it was me i get a hornet 600 u can get one with a half fairing or fazer 600
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Pugzilla on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 9:59 pm

I'll be 25 in July, won't be getting another bike before that.

I'll have to think about this. The restriction on my CB is up in April. I might get a new lease of life with it. I hope.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 10:20 pm

U pick up a fazer/ hornet 600 about 2k, go on condition not age. Hornet has same rear tyre size as my blade so tyres are not cheap . But engine alot more reliable that fazer. Seriously every day use cb cant be beat. I am near 40 and it didnt cost anything  extra to in sure cb with my blade 300 for year 3pft.  Dont sell cb if u can help it. There worth keeping. High power thing is egos.. and egos get u into a ditch when ur on a bike .u snap out of it when u break bones ive broke plenty.have look at scaaff on you tube hes unreal on 94 cb
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Pugzilla on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 10:28 pm

wornsprokets wrote:have look at scaaff on you tube hes unreal on 94 cb

Yes, i've seen lots of his videos. He's crazy.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 10:41 pm

Just shows what little cb could do, ive had 80cc bikes to 918cc over last 20yrs plus years .cb great fun, try yours out with out restriction and see. See what u can insure and afford and see then, but get those insurance qoutes first go from there. Ive had couple bikes over years i wishh i didnt sell.(two strokes Rolling Eyes)
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:56 pm

As you won't be able to use any of a sportsbikes performance without being arrested (unless you are a track day enthusiast ) what you need on the road is agility, lightness and acceleration. The best bikes like that are the Triumph Street Triples ( no fairing unfortunately ) or the KTM Duke single cylinder machines.
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Pugzilla on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 12:22 pm

Would the CBR600F4i be suitable?

Seems to be a bit more suited to the real world than the newer sportbikes.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 12:50 pm

The CB500SS would be my choice, unfortunately they are as rare as hen's teeth (Japan only)
70bhp and 150kg.
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Pugzilla on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 2:02 pm

ANDYC wrote:The CB500SS would be my choice, unfortunately they are as rare as hen's teeth (Japan only)
70bhp and 150kg.

Even if available, i wouldn't go for one. Want a change from a paralell twin.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 4:56 pm

Well andy i really think a hornet 600 or a cbr 600f3 the last of the steelies(frames) or newer ones up to 03 engines are unburstable. The black and silver ones 97 were lovely.or red white and blue 98  ones go forever and won huge amout of tt races and be handy track day bike. There old now about 97/98  but dont let it put u off handle great too, its getting a good one that be tough but there worth hunting out and about 140/150 mph bike. Its a bike u ridding once and u think u being riding it 5yrs. I like an cbr 600f3 up to 98 there going be collector bike in next 5 yrs ive been on look for good one for while. Have look on you tube phil mccallen cbr 600 isle man tt
rwhitton
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 5:46 pm

I've had all sorts of bikes from supermoto to GSXR1000. I can honestly say that the cb is most fun I've had from a roadbike! I race and trackday mine (in fast group with the big bikes) Always holds its own and embarrasses a lot of them. Always felt like I was holding the 1000s back, could only wring the neck of various 600's on track. Raced a gsxr600srad for a few seasons and did well on it. The aches and pains of a sportsbike riding position do my head in on the road after an hour. Plus tyre costs are ridiculous if you're reasonably quick. That's how I came to be on a cb. Racing the 600 nearly bankrupt me. I'd keep it, get some sticky tyres on and hagons front and rear and some rearsets fitted. Get some tracktime /training done and enjoy thrashing it.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 6:38 pm

See just shows some times less engine cc is more fun, i never took much notice of the cb when they were new.just wanted a big cc engine bike  at the time. How much fun does schaaf on u tube look like he having.you cant ride like that on roads here u hit 1000 pot holes. New sports bikes are too focused now  too top end power and not much else and are near useless on road , thats why adventure type bikes are getting more popular. I guess u have to learn from experience . I find my old blade uncomfortable on wrists, then again one of my wrists and hand s a bit knackered . I stil love it , but every day use it be cb every time
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 7:04 pm

If it's really just for the weekend (so to speak) then i'd get something Italian - an older Ducati (600SS, 900SS?) or Aprilia (RSV1000 maybe?) - both will probably need attention to make them reliable and probably won't be as cheap as a jap bike, neither will be like the CB500.

If you want something 'less hassle' then whoever suggested the old CBR600 had the right idea IMO.

I'd probably buy something CB500-age-ish (late nineties) and do it up if it needed it - it might well need more work than a newer bike however there will be more information about how to fix it Smile

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 7:40 pm

As a second bike cbr 600 would be best. Aprilla is an amazing bike but not as second bike. The ducati be a money pit i would imagine.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 7:53 pm

Hi,
I've also had a fair few bikes, big, small and monstorous. For day to day uk roads the cb5 is great, go anywhere, hassle free with a smile on your face and a few quid left in the bank too. If your bike is good, as said, keep it. I'd also add a vote to track days, you'll learn a lot. Spend a tenner on Keith Code, Twist of the Wrist 2 (really,) it'll make you a better rider.

However, if you do a lot of A roads and motorways then a sportsbike is an option, you do get a lot of bike for your money with a late 90's/early 2000's 600. Riding position will be tolerable (cbr6, thundercat), economy will be 45mpg, running costs will be high, insurance too. Resale will be ok. 1000's are too much on the road, frankly, I'd give 'em a miss.

If you do a lot of short town trips, 2-5 miles, go for a vespa 125, never a dull moment, although the cb5 does the same things without blinking.

muttley1
rwhitton
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 9:49 pm

If you have your heart set on one believe it or not I found the 1000s I've had easier to ride at moderate speeds in one sense as you don't need to be dancing up and down on the gearbox to keep in the power. However the temptation to wind it on is impossible to resist and can get you into serious trouble incredibly quick! That's why I got rid of my last one after doing lunacy speeds on the roads. It was either going to end up in hospital, court or a graveyard.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 3:05 pm