Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

stripping down for cleaning

skyrider
the 900
the 900

stripping down for cleaning

Post by skyrider on Thu 24 Dec 2015, 7:42 pm

so after work at noon I went into the man cave and finally managed to get the seat off after taking off the three nuts at the rear of seat so now I know whats happening it will go back in one piece, then off came the radiator grill the tank plastics and the side panels followed by the the seat cowling, once that was off I realised just what a state it was in it is badly cracked so im wondering which route to take do I get it plastic welded or get a decent used one, so I took off the chain guard and decided that the previous owner and chain lube didn't have a good relationship and also the front mudguard is cracked as well so a bit to do before it goes back on the road

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: stripping down for cleaning

Post by sullivj on Thu 24 Dec 2015, 11:20 pm

Sounds like a nice little Christmas project there!

Could you fibreglass the inside of the seat cowling to strengthen it maybe?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 25 Dec 2015, 12:12 pm

Maybe ebay if its gone too far .i got a good seat cowling and pair of radiator covers for 40euro off a guy breaking a cb locally. Sometimes ebay isnt the cheapest route. Week later went back to same guy got good radiator  a seat a givi screen and engine bars (some brackets missing
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 25 Dec 2015, 12:14 pm

Maybe ebay if its gone too far .i got a good seat cowling and pair of radiator covers for 40euro off a guy breaking a cb locally. Sometimes ebay isnt the cheapest route. Week later went back to same guy got good radiator  a seat a givi screen and engine bars (some brackets missing Mad ) for 130euro
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 25 Dec 2015, 1:59 pm

i will try and find someone locally about glassing the cowling and mudguard and see what they say if not its decent used models
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 25 Dec 2015, 2:06 pm

and if they can do a repair it doesn't have to be a colour match because im thinking of having the plastics and tank re sprayed anyway
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 25 Dec 2015, 8:22 pm

You're better off with plastic welding (simple with a soldering iron & scrap plastic of the same type- search YouTube etc) over fiberglass patches. The vibrations will just cause a patch to fail due to disparate materials.

Having said that, I have a 100% fiberglass tail section you're welcome to for postage if you're interested.  It needs a rub down & respray but otherwise good. The bit the refector mounts hasn't even been drilled if you choose to leave it off.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 25 Dec 2015, 8:28 pm

thanks for your offer ashcroc I will see what the guys near me have to say about the one I have first to see if its worth rescuing I could be in touch later
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 25 Dec 2015, 8:36 pm

It's almost always worth saving if you're willing to put the time in. A proper plastic weld won't show if done right & last too. I may even have some scrap plastics lying around (don't think I chucked the old mudguard & tail of my 1st bike when I replaced them) to use as filler if you need it. Hell, Little Donky is held together with cable ties!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:55 pm