You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Hi All - South Yorkshire

ian046
Squiddy
Squiddy

Hi All - South Yorkshire

Post by ian046 on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 11:14 pm

Hi Everyone,  just got a cb500 Y reg a few weeks ago after passing my das test
Quite surprised with how well the bike handles and it has more pull then i thought it would have.

Looking for a few bits for her which I will be poking around here for "hopefully".   these include a top box, system or end can.   right hand side under seat panel.

Also Advice on replacement mirrors and indicators would be great as well as stock are awful!!

Regards,

Ian
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Hi All - South Yorkshire

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:07 pm

Hi ian, i just got givi e45  box second hand one,its yet to go on.the lads recommend fuel exhaust for cb, u can get club discount off . Welcome to forum
Leiberg
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Leiberg on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 6:19 pm

Hi Ian! And welcome!  Smile
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 7:43 pm

Glad to hear you are pleasantly surprised by the CB500!

We can probably help with some of those things (have a look in the parts for sale section) but some might be best bought from ebay.

It is quite difficult to get 'new' looking side panels: most of them are quite battered by now or they have the lugs snapped off (which might be why your one has fallen off), so you might have to get an 'ok' one and paint it to match.

As mentioned we like Fuel cans, they can be quite cheap, sound good and are made of stainless steel.  They sometimes come up second hand but if you want one *now* then you might be better buying a new one, same goes for stainless steel downpipes.

What's the specific problem with the mirrors?  Some are easier to fix than others....  plus are you sure they are original?
Alvi
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Alvi on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 9:18 pm

Hi Ian, welcome along & good luck with the parts you need. Top boxes are usually essy to find, a rack can be trickier if you don't have one. Could do with some nicer mirrors myself. Mine are off an old Rebel I used to use for my winter commute, but I can see what's behind me! Wink
ian046
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by ian046 on Sat 19 Dec 2015, 9:31 pm

here are a few pictures of the bike..   unwashed sorry Razz.

as you can see mirrors and indicators are awful and want replacements!!! 

the Panel has had a repair on it and with a bit of black marker pen it looks quite gd.

Guy I use to look after my bikes is a bit of a local legend  and did a fix using random black plastic bits  to join the panel together by melting!!   nothing this man can't do.

with regards to the exhaust I could wait for one to become available but the top box is something i am wanting quote soon.   never messed around with top box's and i thought the bracket would come with the box!!

Regards,

Ian
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 20 Dec 2015, 11:25 am

Welcome Ian & congrats on passing your das.

Top boxes come separately from the arms these days so one box will fit many different models. You can still get givi/kappa arms for around £50-60 for our cb500 though you'll need a base plate too. Monokey plates are more secure than monolock allowing the use of a bigger box.

I recommend getting a stainless exhaust, they tend to give a nicer note & maybe a tiny bit more power too Very Happy. There's a tasty looking 320mm Delkevic tri oval can on the bay at the moment that I'd probably have bought if I were still running stock. Both Motad & Delkevic still make decent quality downpipes which pop up from time to time on the bay if you don't mind waiting for the right deal to come along.

Mirrors are a personal thing. Some go for bar end jobbies that avoid the shoulder blocking while possibly making it harder to filter or you could just get some standard oblong ones designed for a 10mm thread to give better view.

Likewise with indicators, if it's got a 21w bulb it won't affect the flash rate. If you go for led winkers you'll either have to fit load resistors or a led flasher relay + do a Diode mod on the shared idiot light.

Have fun riding & tinkering with your new toy.
ian046
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by ian046 on Sun 27 Dec 2015, 6:44 pm

so i was adjusting mr right mirror and i broke it...  anyone recommend some mirrors that aint ugly??  :/

thanks in advance.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 27 Dec 2015, 8:09 pm

I'm running a cheap & cheerful set of mirrors like these although I don't think I paid as much & mine are 'e'marked. They give more rear view than stock although I still find my shoulders get in the way. I keep meaning to fit blind spot mirrors to the useless bits.

Whether you think they're ugly or not is down to taste but for the price...
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 28 Dec 2015, 7:31 pm

hi Ian and welcome congrats on passing your das
ian046
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by ian046 on Tue 29 Dec 2015, 8:48 pm

New mirrors and indicators installed.  they look soo much better.  I went for an old school looking set but smaller, I found the LED bulbs looked stupid as they were too modern looking.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 9:31 am

I see you have all the vaccuming and mopping tools you need for you bike right on hand Smile
ian046
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by ian046 on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 6:47 pm

Well i wanted a sense of realism in the photo  i think i chose the right props Wink
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 7:26 pm

that looks like a nice warm place for working on it in the winter
ian046
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by ian046 on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 12:21 am

I always put my bike next to the radiator lol
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 2:40 pm

how about a blanket Laughing
ian046
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by ian046 on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 10:57 pm

what do we reckon these panels are worth?  one has a broken lug but can be plasti repaired   other panels lug is ok and in decent nick.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Jun 2018, 10:47 am