Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Dublin?

ratatooie
Running out of unique names

Dublin?

Post by ratatooie on Tue 15 Dec 2015, 4:57 pm

Totally off topic obviously, but the missus and I are heading to Dublin in January as a Christmas prezzie to each other. Aside from an obligatory whistlestop tour of the Guinness factory, what do the natives here recommend doing and seeing? 

We like good food and drink, and I would like to fit in something a tad cultural too (for reference we went over to Bristol recently and enjoyed the SS Great Britain, which is absolutely fantastic - recommended to everyone). Hopefully the cultural bit will distract her from the January sales!

Cheers!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Dublin?

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 15 Dec 2015, 6:35 pm

Trinity college in dublin city, glasenevin cemetary and botanic gardens(  look it up)phoenix park near city centre, loads of nice restaurants in dublin, temple bar , grafton street and stephens green.christchurch. all worth a visit
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 15 Dec 2015, 7:35 pm

@ratatooie wrote:Totally off topic obviously, but the missus and I are heading to Dublin in January as a Christmas prezzie to each other. Aside from an obligatory whistlestop tour of the Guinness factory, what do the natives here recommend doing and seeing? 

We like good food and drink, and I would like to fit in something a tad cultural too (for reference we went over to Bristol recently and enjoyed the SS Great Britain, which is absolutely fantastic - recommended to everyone). Hopefully the cultural bit will distract her from the January sales!

Cheers!
ha ha do you think it will work Laughing
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 9:46 am

The Guinness factory tour is fantastic, and tastes so much better locally. View is great from the bar overlooking the factory, leave a 'we were here' card on the visitor board and get a picture of St James' gate Smile

I'd also second the botanic gardens and add we enjoyed Dublin zoo aswell as is the Jameson distillery tour also.

Dan
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 10:20 am

Did u not go to glasenevin cemetery dan, its right beside botanic gardens.it get an average of million tourist a year. It has a round tower inside grave yard it was used to keep a look out for body snatchers back in day and theres famous pub beside grave yard, called grave diggers it gets a great review, theres famous people buried in grave yard ..wolfe tone.. charles stewart parnell... and irish hero michael collins..and others .. i been there but never did tour believe it amazing
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 10:23 am

Unfortunately not, I've never heard of it....... we only added in the gardens as a gap filler on the last day and wished we'd had more time there.

All this talk is making me want to go back, it was 8 years ago now.

Dan
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 10:24 am

With sterling so good on the euro you lads should visit dublin well worth visit. I bought a part from uk few week ago i got 68 pence to euro
Shocked
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 1:55 pm

Dublin's great. I haven't been there for a few years, but I suspect my pieces of advice are still true:

1. If you get bored of paying 5 or 6 euro for a pint of Guiness in temple bar then go for a bit of a walk: the further you get from temple bar the cheaper it gets! Smile We found some for 3 euro something in a more 'local' pub...

2. Don't know how long you are going to be there but if you want a change of scene then take the DART to Bray - it doesn't take long and you are by the seaside, plus there's a nice walk up to Bray head. When you get bored you can just pop back on the DART back to Dublin.

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 7:22 pm

Ah yeah temple bar can be a rip off, there should be price list on door on way in of pub
Alvi

Post by Alvi on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 9:23 pm

Went on the CB500 in July. Got the ferry to Belfast & had a couple of nights in NI with some nice rides around Strangford Lough, then a ride 'round the coast to Newry, by which time it was raining, so we zapped down the M1 to Dublin. A few days there (got the Dart to Bray!), then back home on the ferry from Dublin. Great trip - we enjoyed it so much we did it again in August!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 10:15 pm

Alvi, did you  not visit ballymoney in antrim  (joeys bar) joey dunlops bar, or giants causeway or titanic experience in belfast.
Alvi

Post by Alvi on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 4:34 pm

Ballymoney was on our wish list, but we decided the distances involved might be a bit ambitious. We've been limited to pottering locally due to my wife's health. She had 2 new hips last year to fix the problem, and looked forward to our first trip off the Island on the bikes, but didn't want to risk over doing it. There's always next year! We used to sail over, and have done the causeway & guiness on previous visits. Also on the wish list- some of the road races, oh and she wants to hire a Harley & tour New Zealand!!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 6:00 pm

You could ride the NW200 and Dundrod circuits and imagine doing them at a 130mph average !!
ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Fri 18 Dec 2015, 10:48 am

Great thank you very much for all the suggestions! 

The botanic gardens and trinity college look brilliant for a wonder. I'm not sure I could swing both the Guinness and the Jameson tours (and in any event, I'm somewhat spoiled by Scottish single malts)!

I'm always amazed by the sheer amount of people when I step off the IoM. It is a bit of a culture shock. Even on the busiest days you can still thread your own path at your own speed down the main shopping street in Douglas. It seems like a different world (and that is said having lived in Scotland for a good portion of my life before I moved over). 

Are there any specific (not tooooo £££££) restaurants that you would recommend? We like Indian or something slightly different to pub grub/Chinese food (Lebanese was a big hit in Bristol).

For pubs, we will look out for Grave Diggers and "local" ones.

Are there any areas that you would advise avoiding?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 18 Dec 2015, 4:48 pm

The grave diggers is beside glasenevin cemetry  goes into botanic gardens just short trip from city . Have look at tour online and phoenix park just beside city too

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 10:11 pm