You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Hi all!

Leiberg
Rossi
Rossi

Hi all!

Post by Leiberg on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 10:11 pm

Hello everybody!
New member here.

I havent picked up a CB yet, but i'm in the market for one. I just have to find one i like. Its not the best selection here in Denmark, so i have to be patient i guess...

But i will throw tons of photos at you when i finally find one Smile

I do have my eyes on a 2003 model, with 29.000km on the clock.. Its at a good price, but it have lived its life as a Learner bike at a driving school. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing.. My worries is clutch, gears etc.. Any thoughts?  scratch

Iif you have any pointers what to look for when i go hunting for a , i will be very pleased Smile 

Anyhow.. Thanks for the add, and i look forward to spend some time in here Smile

Cheers!!  rendeer
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Hi all!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 10:28 pm

Welcome Leiberg.

Training school bikes can be a double edged sword. They may be a bit tatty from getting dropped by inexperienced riders but also will most likely have been well maintained too.

29.000km is nothing for these bikes but check it hasn't been round the clock. It's usually pretty easy to tell the difference between a low & high milage machine. Look for things like worn gear shifter & non original sprockets.
Leiberg
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Leiberg on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 10:44 pm

@ashcroc wrote:Welcome Leiberg.

Training school bikes can be a double edged sword.  They may be a bit tatty from getting dropped by inexperienced riders but also will most likely have been well maintained too.

29.000km is nothing for these bikes but check it hasn't been round the clock. It's usually pretty easy to tell the difference between a low & high milage machine. Look for things like worn gear shifter & non original sprockets.

Thanks! 

Its for sale at the dealer/shop that use to service it. But owned by a private owner. He bought a new bike, and put his CB for commision sale at the shop. So it have been private owned. I have 2 pics of it. I havent seen it in real life yet. Its a bit far from where i live Sad 

" />

" />
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:06 pm

Looks OK from those 2 pics. I've seen (& owned) alot worse.
The engine casing shows signs it's been down on the right side & may have had either a replacement tank or a respray from the lack of decals.

If it has a service history to match the milage & the price is acceptable for you it's certainly worth considering.
Leiberg
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Leiberg on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 11:13 pm

@ashcroc wrote:Looks OK from those 2 pics. I've seen (& owned) alot worse.
The engine casing shows signs it's been down on the right side & may have had either a replacement tank or a respray from the lack of decals.

If it has a service history to match the milage & the price is acceptable for you it's certainly worth considering.

Thanks! Yeah i think i might have to go see it.. Smile I noticed the marks on the enginge casing aswell.. But i guess i can find a replacement somewhere. I'll let you know if i decide to pick it up Smile Thank you so far Smile
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 10 Dec 2015, 10:51 am

Welcome Leiberg!
There are a few niggles to look out for but nothing too terrible. Take out the dipstick and check the state of the oil, they will last forever if the oil is changed regularly Smile

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Thu 10 Dec 2015, 12:34 pm

HI and welcome along. Bike looks fine from the pics. Things I spotted were aftermarket bar ends, bent left front indicator, uncertain tyres, right footpeg not straight (could be damaged aluminium hanger or just the spring, unusual to see footrest up though) and dinged/repainted exhaust. No decals on tank, might be a respray. Wheels look too clean too!
Good points were paintwork and not too much key damage round the ignition lock area.

Seconded ref the oil and I'd be checking for how much life is left in the tyres, chain and sprockets, brake pads etc.

You could ask for a pic of the bike left side facing also one front and back. Most garages provide a selection of pictures so just a couple is unusual.

There's plenty of bikes around if this one doesn't ring true so don't be rushed.

atb

muttley1
Leiberg
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Leiberg on Thu 10 Dec 2015, 12:51 pm

Thanks guys! I will request more photos then. Another bike turned up in the meantime. A 1998 with 42.000km on the clock. Bone stock but with a Givi windscreen. I'll see if i can attach some photos.. Not the best pictures, but better then nothing. 

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 10 Dec 2015, 5:30 pm

Hello!

Both of those bikes look in better condition than mine! Smile

My advice when buying a CB500 would be this:

1. Go and look at everything in person - photos are great but it is easier to see problems when you are actually there. You also get a 'assess' the seller - this can be even more important than looking at the bike!

2. Don't be scared off by high-mileage on the CB500 - they are pretty reliable, especially if the previous owner has change the oil and maintained things well. TBH they seem pretty reliable even if people don't maintain them too well.

3. Following on from point 2, it might be better to get one that has been regularly used (and might have more miles and be in worse condition) than one that has spent most of its life sitting in a garage or shed.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Thu 10 Dec 2015, 5:58 pm

when going to view my first cb5 ( from gumtree ) i took it for a test ride, got lost and gave it plenty of beans in between. when i found my way back oil was pissing out 
particularly from the recently re-painted engine cases and i realised it was probably a cover up. i was sooo desperate to own any bike i would have bought it had it not been for that. when i went to pick up my current bike ( bought from ebay without test riding it) i knew straight away that it was in top order and gave me the confidence that i made the right decision. maybe i got lucky, but i think i'd always look for a test ride when buying a bike in future.

Last edited by geewhizz on Thu 10 Dec 2015, 9:47 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Grammer)
Leiberg
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Leiberg on Thu 10 Dec 2015, 6:42 pm

Thanks guys! You have been a big help already! Smile Problem with both the bikes i have talked about, is that they are both in the other end of the country... Why is it always like that?!  scratch I guess i will find a day to go see them both, if there isnt a better offer closer to where i live. Smile I will keep you updated in the process Wink
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 10 Dec 2015, 9:20 pm

welcome to the forum lots of good advice from the guys on here Smile
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 11 Dec 2015, 12:29 pm

@Leiberg wrote:Thanks guys! You have been a big help already! :) Problem with both the bikes i have talked about, is that they are both in the other end of the country... Why is it always like that?!  :scratch: I guess i will find a day to go see them both, if there isnt a better offer closer to where i live. :) I will keep you updated in the process ;)

It's exactly the same here:  all the bikes you want to buy are 200+ miles away.

Anyway, you either have to wait until ones come up closer or bite the bullet and do the travelling!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 11 Dec 2015, 6:43 pm

I know exactly what you mean the cb5 I have just bought was in the middle of London and I live in preston lancs so I got a courier to deliver it
Leiberg
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Leiberg on Fri 11 Dec 2015, 6:51 pm

Yeah it must be some sort of curse  Shocked
Leiberg
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Leiberg on Sun 13 Dec 2015, 12:46 am

Holy crap! There is a CB500 that just turned up on a Danish sales site with only 640km on the clock... as in 00640... !! So kinda brand new. Its a 1997 model, but stupid expensive :/ 33.000,- danish kroner = roughly 3.300 pounds.

(keep in mind that we have 180% registration tax on cars and bikes here in Denmark)
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 13 Dec 2015, 1:13 am

I think u are better to have an average miles/klms on a bike than very low, the old steel framed cbr 600  f2/f3 was very bad engine wise if it was left up for a long time , internal top end would rust and u wouldnt know until u started it up. My cb 500v (97) had 37k miles but it was left up for long time i bought it for 750 euro. I am not convinced low mileage is a good thing,  a high mile  used regularly serviced bike is better than low mileage one
Leiberg
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Leiberg on Sun 13 Dec 2015, 1:42 am

@wornsprokets wrote:I think u are better to have an average miles/klms on a bike than very low, the old steel framed cbr 600  f2/f3 was very bad engine wise if it was left up for a long time , internal top end would rust and u wouldnt know until u started it up. My cb 500v (97) had 37k miles but it was left up for long time i bought it for 750 euro. I am not convinced low mileage is a good thing,  a high mile  used regularly serviced bike is better than low mileage one

I think you are right.. And secondly, i will not pay that much for a (still old) bike. Smile

At the moment i'm leaning towards the 1998 model i posted earlier with 42.000km on the clock... The rest is to high priced or to worn out..
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 13 Dec 2015, 9:02 am

My bike got left up for a while in her past. 26k on the clocks. One year she only did 0 miles - 3k - 2k-2k- 23miles (laid up for 2 years) - 60 miles - 90 miles ( laid up 3 years) - 1.4k - 1.8k (left up for a year) . She now does about 1.1K a month. I only know this from the MOT's that came with her.

A bike that has been used more would be better engine wise as it'll kept moving opposed to just sitting on the same location, especially for the chains in the internals of the engine.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 13 Dec 2015, 10:58 am

Not just chain , james the tires are scrap from it. My 96(24k) fireblade was left up for years by previous owner and  front tyre was like new but it was on its out of shape from beening on side stand so long, it was that bad i taught frame was bent! Fireblade tires are not cheap rear tyre 180 size.ive only done about 1000miles in 5yrs mite be going in new year
That changes every time i ride it not that its often Cool
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 13 Dec 2015, 8:17 pm

@Leiberg wrote:Holy crap! There is a CB500 that just turned up on a Danish sales site with only 640km on the clock... as in 00640... !!

Collectors item.

Don't bother. Unless you're a collector, that is.

What's much more important is that the bike has not been mangled - especially the electrics. Many bikes succumb due to clueless dumbfucks doing what would classify as 'redneck engineering' on the electrics.

While on the subject of rednecks and dumbfucks, have a look at this. Priceless. Not the pollution, the thread comments...
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 13 Dec 2015, 8:22 pm

no wonder we are getting global change with all that crap floating about affraid
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 13 Dec 2015, 9:17 pm

Was it a vw affraid
Leiberg
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Leiberg on Sun 13 Dec 2015, 9:19 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Was it a vw affraid

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 13 Dec 2015, 10:56 pm

Stormy, with that social attitude and the liberal US gun laws, there is an up-side, considerably fewer americans !!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 10:15 am