You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

From British Iron to Japanese Aluminum

rep_movsd

From British Iron to Japanese Aluminum

Post by rep_movsd on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm

Hi guys,

I am from India and have just recently acquired a 1993 CB500.
In India we only had Royal Enfields and Jawas, and lots of 100cc commuter bikes.
Of late KTM Yamaha etc are very popular in the sub 500cc space.

Somehow for me, the modern bike doesn't do it. I had owned a RC 390 and now a Yamaha R15 and while they are great bikes, the modern race bike like seating, angular spaceship like looks have never impressed me.

My first and favorite bike has always been a Cast Iron engined Enfield 535 - It was kinda fast for India, and I've been adding lots of stuff to make it faster. But in the end it is a clunker and anything that can go wrong can, and will!  Mad

So I happened to chance on this CB500 and it was a choice between a Yamaha R3 or this and I chose this... I may have paid much more than what you would pay for such a bike in the West, but imported bikes are costly here in India and this one has been kept in immaculate shape.

My brother has it as of now and will be shipping it to me in a week or two. He himself is amazed by the way the bike handles and runs compared to any other bike he has ever ridden.

Very much looking forward to riding this Honda... cheers

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: From British Iron to Japanese Aluminum

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 1:23 pm

Looks like a nice bike, where are you getting it shipped from?

That looks like the (slightly) older CB500 model with the drum brake. That Leo Vince exhaust would have cost someone a few quid when it was new!

That's also an impressive dog... Smile

Post by Guest on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 4:15 pm

Welcome from Belgium Very Happy 
You'll find everyone on this forum great company!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 4:54 pm

Welcome to you! That's a lovely looking CB5! Very Happy
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 6:21 pm

First of all: Welcome to you!

Now...

Wow! If your 'location' tells a true story, you're in India. I always wanted to know how the CB500 fares in indian traffic. I've been reading travelling literature (Sam Manicom, Ted Simon etc.) and none of these people ride CB's.

Yes, my telly's full of motor TV showing how old Enfields get modded into unrecognizable designs (dual-engine buggy, anyone?) but that's not very interesting to me. How the CB fares on indian infrastructure is, though. Will it cope, or is it not up to the job. Repairs. Durability. Spareparts. Availability. Know-how. All those things.

So, If you've got things to tell, I'm all ears!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 8:22 pm

Yes it be interesting to know how cb would cope in an indian summer heat. Couldnt see that spare parts be on the shelf there so i imagine it be ebay. I think the cb would be excellent transport to go around the world, nick sanders did it on an r1 in record time. I imagine cb would do it too.has anyone done it on the cb?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 8:47 pm

Looks like a great quality bike, even by my standards  Laughing Looking forward to hearing how it fairs on Indian roads
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:14 am

Your bike looks great! I'm interested to know how it ended up in India. When the bike arrives, can you tell us where it was made? The VIN plate should say. It looks like an early Japanese-built machine (the best ones) but I don't recognise the colour scheme. Perhaps it was made at Manaus in Brazil.....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Oct 2018, 7:25 am