Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Painting radiator?

jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Painting radiator?

Post by jonny10 on Sun 06 Dec 2015, 11:49 pm

Cleaning the bike (S model) after a spin and big flakes of paint just peeled off the right hand side of the rad. Always thought the paint on both sides of the rad was really crap anyway, maybe it was painted before (badly) but always looked dead rough to me.
Anyway, in a couple of places it's come off right down to the grey metal - sticks out like a sore thumb against the black.
So, I'm goint to strip & repaint both sides of the rad and was wondring would ordinary rattle can stuff do or would you need high temp stuff? Presumably it would need primed too, before painting?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Painting radiator?

Post by ashcroc on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 9:40 am

I got that too but thankfully it's only really noticeable when the side panels (naked bike) are off.

A brief search on t'interweb seems to come to the concensus vht/bbq paint works wellthough some recon hammerite works too.  Be sure to clean off any oxidation/dirt/grease before applying & as usual several fine coats is best to avoid runs(paint also isn't the best conductor but since these engines run cool anyhow....).  Being alluminium you shouldn't need an oxide primer but if you decide to use one it won't hurt.

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 8:46 pm