Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Centre Stand Spring

jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Centre Stand Spring

Post by jim157 on Tue 01 Dec 2015, 9:22 pm

I've been struggling to fit a centre stand to my CB today.  The spring I've got appears to be too short and despite my best efforts of stretching it, it is blatantly not long enough.  I've a feeling it's actually a side stand spring (it certainly appears to be the same length).

I don't suppose someone could confirm that the two stand springs are a different length?

Cheers.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Centre Stand Spring

Post by sullivj on Tue 01 Dec 2015, 9:42 pm

Just been out to the garage to take this:

They look very similar to me, although the main stand one is thicker. 

They are a real pain to get on. I used a tent peg puller. I've also read that some people use the stitched edge of a T towell.

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 01 Dec 2015, 10:38 pm

The Delboy's Garage method is to make up a 'T' handled wire hook to pull the spring into place. I use a loop of nylon cord and a wooden lever. Both methods make this an easy job.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 01 Dec 2015, 11:47 pm

Spring puller's can be quite cheap if you don't want to make one yourself.
I've also had results with a loop of paracord & a lever bar or screwdriver when a puller hasn't been available. .

Post by Guest on Wed 02 Dec 2015, 8:17 am

I did this with some very tough hemp string but don't recommend. Also please protect your face if not your eyes. I nearly had to us all my force to get that middle stand spring on, and I don't want to know what would happen if it should have failed and flown of in my direction. Seriously, take care with springs under tension of any kind!
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Wed 02 Dec 2015, 10:26 am

Cheers chaps.  I guess I was lulled into a false sense of ease by the side stand spring which was relatively simple  to fit.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 02 Dec 2015, 12:30 pm

@jim157 wrote:Cheers chaps.  I guess I was lulled into a false sense of ease by the side stand spring which was relatively simple  to fit.

Probably - the main-stand spring certainly requires more grunt to get it in the right place.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 02 Dec 2015, 1:14 pm

@sullivj wrote: I've also read that some people use the stitched edge of a T towell.

....yup, that'd be me sometimes you need a bit more fabric in there aswell though.

For the side stand I just use a spring puller but the main stand one is considerably more of a pain and I just cant get a sufficient grip to pull the spring puller that hard.

As a tip though as you are pulling that hard on one side of the bike get someone to keep hold of it, particularly if you end up horizontally on the floor pulling with all your might with your feet against part of the bike or the surroundings. Also be VERY prepared for the spring puller (or even t-towell) to break or give way so make sure if it does that you aren't going to smash yourself in the face when you hands come flying back.

Dan
biglee
Rossi
Rossi

Post by biglee on Wed 02 Dec 2015, 4:25 pm

hi bend the pring insert 2p pieces in the bends this adds lenth to the spring when fitted remove 2p with pliers
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 02 Dec 2015, 4:35 pm

that's an interesting tactic, id of thought you'd need quite a few and messy of they start shooting out Smile
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 02 Dec 2015, 4:46 pm

Wouldn't the rubber sleeve get in the way?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 02 Dec 2015, 5:32 pm

@ashcroc wrote:Wouldn't the rubber sleeve get in the way?

Think you could slide it up, away from the coils.. Might give it a try as I couldn't get my spring off the last time I tried.
geoffnorfolk
Godly
Godly

Post by geoffnorfolk on Thu 03 Dec 2015, 8:04 pm

Haven't done this on the CB500 but on other bikes, I've found that by just pushing the pivot pin halfway through so the stand is still "floppy", you can easily just fit the spring. You then pull the stand so that its lined up so that a few blows with the hammer will knock the pin all the way through. An assistant comes in handy for that last part. Sorry if you couldn't follow that but it really does work!!
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Thu 03 Dec 2015, 9:40 pm

Thanks Geoff, that does make sense.  I'll give it a try.
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Mon 07 Dec 2015, 8:43 pm

Well, after trying all the methods mentioned and sustaining numerous minor injuries, I'm still stumped.  There's no way this spring will stretch enough, so I'm convinced this is a side stand spring.  I've ordered a new centre stand spring from David Silver's, hopefully that will fit..
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 08 Dec 2015, 9:24 am

@jim157 wrote:Well, after trying all the methods mentioned and sustaining numerous minor injuries, I'm still stumped.  There's no way this spring will stretch enough, so I'm convinced this is a side stand spring.  I've ordered a new centre stand spring from David Silver's, hopefully that will fit..

I'd be surprised if it was a side spring, besides the side stand one stretches allot easier than the main stand one so you'd probably be having an easier time if it was - not harder.

But yes, it is an absolute sod to get on.

Just to make sure... you are attaching the spring to the frame first and then trying to pull horizontally on to the main stand that's held up as high as it'll go? When I put mine back on I had to get an extra pair of hands to steady the bike firstly so that it didn't fall on me and secondly as I was pulling the spring so hard I was dragging the bike backwards while on the side stand.

It will go, its just very very stiff. Presumably as it has to hold that big hunk of metal up.

Also check you are putting the spring the right way round, aswell as the right way up! ....I'm not sure what different it makes but you'd hate to (eventually) get it on and then realise you've got to do it again!

Dan
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Tue 08 Dec 2015, 9:52 pm

I'll have to get someone to give me a hand I think.  As you said, I ended up dragging the bike around such was the force I was exerting.
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 6:16 pm

Anyhoo, a couple of months have passed and I finally got my centre stand fitted.  The original spring I had was definitely a side stand one, as I ordered the correct spring from David Silver's and it is about 1cm longer.  

I thought that would be the end of my problems but I must've tried every method listed earlier in this thread to fit the spring no avail.  I think I must've spent five or six hours (and removed and refitted the centre stand numerous times) trying to get the bloody thing to stretch but it was having none of it.

In the end I bought a motion pro heavy duty spring puller from the states and voila, five minutes later the spring is now on....

Post by Guest on Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:00 pm

...a motion pro heavy duty spring puller...

Yeah, that's how nasty they are. Lol Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 5:33 pm