Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Popped main fuse.....

badseeds

Awesome!

Popped main fuse.....

Post by badseeds on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 8:06 pm

So I'm presently sat at the side of the A47 whilst I await I lift home after my bike ate its main fuse. I switched it for the spare and it fired up, but as soon as I pulled away it popped that one, too....

Rectifier? It was pretty warm and it's an old Honda one.

Thoughts please. It's fuggin' cold out.
stormbringer

Re: Popped main fuse.....

Post by stormbringer on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 8:15 pm

badseeds wrote:Rectifier?

Thoughts please. It's fuggin' cold out.

Eeeeeks! Not funny! Will instantly send you a warming thought.

Regarding what's wrong - no idea. Rectifier would be an initial good guess, but so many things can go bad. Exposed cable strand somewhere in a loom that's being flexed a lot?
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 8:17 pm

Perhaps, but the first one popped whilst I was going in a straight line. The second popped when I revved the engine, indicating the extra electrical output from the alternator being the issue. I dunno. I know I'm bloody cold, though.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 8:25 pm

badseeds wrote:Rectifier?
Looking at the wiring diagram right now. Obviously, the RegRec is linked to bat+ through the main fuse. But 30A is a lot of power - will the alternator be able to supply that many amps? I've heard 350W somewhere - that would amount to roughly 29A @ 12V, which shouldn't cause he fuse to pop, but merely to boil the battery...
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 8:27 pm

It's occurred to me that it could be the starter solenoid; I had a similar issue many years ago on an ST1100 and that was the cause.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 8:36 pm

Out with the multimeter and check the three phases of the generator output, then the output from the reg/rec. that should give you an idea if it is a charging circuit problem or a shorting issue further downstream.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 8:39 pm

Hmmm..regulator rectifier heats up un general.. the original ones are junk without heat sinks.. ive went tru 3 .  I had regulator years ago that poped and blew all bulbs. Was battery boiling up too? None of mine blew main fuse but acted up when lights turned on.(1) regulator rectifier(2)dead short in wiring(3) stator(4)battery. If its stator get one  rewound from west county windings also do rectifiers. Also get a better earth , run a cable from negative battery terminal to earth cable(solder it into existing  one going to regulator ..   Sad
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 8:41 pm

badseeds wrote:It's occurred to me that it could be the starter solenoid;

Starter solenoid is wired directly to +Bat - un-fused. If the wire between solenoid and starter motor gets chafed, you'll effectively be shortening battery. Not funny...

Did the lights go all bright? I mean - RegRec output is linked directly to the bike's electrical network - not through the 30A fuse. If RegRec is somehow not regulating, you should have seen the lights go all bright when revving the engine...

Still sitting at the curb, waiting for pickup?

Last edited by stormbringer on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 8:48 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Clarification - different wording)
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:29 pm

I run a larger alternator with the std reg/rectifier and have had no problems with it, so I would be looking elsewhere for a short.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 3:17 pm

I got the bike home today. I changed the r/r and starter solenoid but it still popped a fuse. I was able to ride it home, as long as I didn't take it above 3k rpm. It was pissing with rain and when I got home I realised I didn't have my house key.... I had to wait 30 mins for 'er indoors to get home.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 3:32 pm

Maybe a stupid question but was r/r new ive had one that was part working it was second had one, i quickly tested it before i bought it and readings were close to each other but u know when u change leads around and u should get infinity on all connections one was letting current through Mad. Have u tested the stator it shows how on u tube
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 3:33 pm

I don't own a multimeter, unfortunately.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 4:28 pm

U can get an ok one in argos cheap about 15 pounds
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:59 pm

badseeds wrote:I don't own a multimeter, unfortunately.

Now is the time to get one ;)

From a quick look at the wiring diagram I'd suggest that the problem (assuming it isn't the Reg/Rec) is likely to be either in the wiring between the RR and the main-fuse, the wiring between the main fuse and the ignition switch or the wiring between the ignition switch and the fusebox.

I'd further bet that it is most likely to be in the wiring that goes between the main-fuse and the ignition switch, where it routes around the headstock (and hence gets bent when you move the handle bars).

With the multimeter you are about to buy (hehe) you can follow the short (assuming you can provoke it, possibly by wiggling the loom and/or the handlebars) back through the loom until you isolate it to a particular section of wiring.

Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/multimeter.htm

Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/precision-gold-pg017-digital-multimeter-gw24b
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 6:24 pm

Why high revs blow the fuse and low revs be okay? Yes, I shall buy a multimeter!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 6:52 pm

Yes ive had problems with wiring in headstock  before in an other bike but it did not  blow fuses, whats the battery like, just it shows correct vlotage doesnt show its ok. Neeeds to be load tested , regulator rectifier controls voltage limit from the stator to battery maybe its ok at low revs
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 6:56 pm

Why would a dying battery cause a fuse to blow? The battery's old, but it's never causes any issues, slow cranking for instance, even in the current cold weather.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 7:16 pm

Yes ive had problems with wiring in headstock  before in an other bike but it did not  blow fuses, whats the battery like, just it shows correct vlotage doesnt show its ok. Neeeds to be load tested , regulator rectifier controls voltage limit from the stator to battery maybe its ok at low revs
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 7:26 pm

Not saying battery caused it, but if battery is knackered the r/r took it out , like it did to to my two nearly new bats in my blade and cb
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 7:37 pm

Oh I see.....
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 10:25 pm

It might be worth whipping out the stator & having a look at it. I've no idea why it would blow the main fuse but the bike running below 3k revs suggests either a problem with the charging system or the reg/rec which you've already changed.
There's a slim possibility you've got a breakdown in the insulation somewhere in the wiring that's only drawing over 30 amps when the battery's charging.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 11:04 pm

ashcroc wrote:.......but the bike running below 3k revs suggests either a problem with the charging system or the reg/rec which you've already changed.

That's what I'm thinking. I have a spare stator so I'll swap it out, at some point.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 23 Nov 2015, 12:09 pm

badseeds wrote:
ashcroc wrote:.......but the bike running below 3k revs suggests either a problem with the charging system or the reg/rec which you've already changed.

That's what I'm thinking. I have a spare stator so I'll swap it out, at some point.

Have you tried running the bike with the R/R unplugged? (assuming your battery is fairly well charged) Might be worth a go...
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 23 Nov 2015, 7:16 pm

Any idea of the fault yet?
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 23 Nov 2015, 7:21 pm

wornsprokets wrote:Any idea of the fault yet?

Nope. It's sulking at the back of the mother-in-law's garage whilst I'm using another bike. A CB500, naturally.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:50 pm