Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Socket Set choices

skyrider
the 900
the 900

Re: Socket Set choices

Post by skyrider on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 8:09 pm

I need to keep checking my tool box scratch
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 8:39 pm

I've got two sets of Bahco sockets; one 1/4", one 3/8". And a chinese 1/2" set for the heavy lifting (19-50 mm). I'm unstoppable! The Bahco sets are made from Neverfailium, and the chinese elCheapo set is pure 'n simple overkill. Really, nobody needs that much torque...

When assessing tools, I tend to do this in two steps: Buy a cheap kit that does the job. See if it gets any use. If so, buy expensive brand name kit.

What I've learnt over time: Proper spanners can't be bought 'too expensive'. Socket set the same. Don't be tempted to use anything but those, eg. pliers or adjustable spanners. Just don't...

Patience is your #1 tool.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 8:46 pm

yes someone once said have a little patience it never grew as quick
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 8:47 pm

Some times you dont need best of tools, its how u use them. My cousin looks after classic bikes like vincent blackshadow, rudge ulster, bsa, triumph , he has a classic race bike from 60s its tiny it a 50cc derbi with a genuine gp chasis, simular to ones angel nieto use to race in 50cc catogary in gps!. Also has classic triple two stroke kawasaki. He uses nothing fancy tools but there well used.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 8:51 pm

if you look after your tools they will look after you for a long time

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 9:13 pm

@skyrider wrote:if you look after your tools they will look after you for a long time

Totally agree with you. Some of my most used tools, are still like new after 23 years..
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 9:16 pm

These are all beginners tools. I need a lathe, mill, good pillar drill, pulse TIG welder, and one of those nice bending machines which correctly curves exhaust tubing without any distortion.
hmmmm....maybe next payday.......
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 9:36 pm

I was very tempted by the Bahco stuff but ended up with the Halfords Advanced Pro stuff because it was available nearby and that warranty. Was probably cheaper too, but I really rate Bahco tools.

The Draper Expert set with the 6-point wall drive looks good too though.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 9:47 pm

@Beresford wrote:These are all beginners tools. I need a lathe, mill, good pillar drill, pulse TIG welder, and one of those nice bending machines which correctly curves exhaust tubing without any distortion.
hmmmm....maybe next payday.......

Luckily for me, two of my engineering neighbours have all of that, and a plasma cutter, and a wet cutting wheel, and, and, and...

One of the reasons we've not moved!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 11:20 pm

I have a friend who runs a precision engineering business with loads of realy expensive machines producing aerospace quality stuff, but all to no avail for me. He's so busy producing for real customers that I can get nuffink done by him at all. Rats.
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 11:36 pm

The Proxxon 1/2 set has sockets from 8-24mm, missing 9, 20 +23. Not bad, its a big old ratchet though. Should I even bother with another set and just add a few more sockets? 
Some nice collections, ideas and advice posted, thank you all. Off to look at bahco now then facom again and Draper x again... Laughing
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 3:01 pm

All my work sockets and ratchets are Britool. Had them years though, from before the Stanley buyout when the quality went downhill
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 4:15 pm

@arrison wrote:All my work sockets and ratchets are Britool. Had them years though, from before the Stanley buyout when the quality went downhill

So are they a poor quality now?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 5:49 pm

I dont think stanley tools in general are as good as they use to be, and there not the cheapest tools either, i honestly think halfrauds rachet set as good as any of them , the abuse i gave largest rachet in my set i used it as a breaker bar with a long  piece of heavy steel pipe to get off a stuck nut , didnt damage rachet that was about 5yrs ago ive hacket my set and its still fine, my uncle works for a tool company and he says that likes of aldi tools cant be beaten on price, even if there not best of quality it breaks buy an other same.  Why pay crazy money for tools ..i dont see point..in it. Torque wrenches on other hand...buy gud ones
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 6:01 pm

I've got a lot of Stanley tools for woodworking I didn't know they owned Britool. My tools are all old Stanley, says it all doesn't it? 
I do like the idea of buying British tools though, does anyone know much about King Dick? I've got some old stuff of my Gramp's and its good quality old steel. No doubt less good now. Great name all the same. And bulldog icon.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 6:21 pm

Yes my dad was a carpenter stil has few old stanley tools.  Uncle use to sell King dick, britool are good tools, ive worked in alot of vw garages not many had snap on , it was teng tools and that was mostly used brand there.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 6:53 pm

As for snap on not covinced by them, my cousin (the mechanic) got a new snap on impact gun for garage he works out of ,it was half power of the snap on gun he previously had for 10yrs. People are obsessed by brands dont put faith in them all the time. I also worked in an other garage a top brand i wont mention the maker, brand new car straight off transporter 5mins later it went into flames this car was huge money a case off putting too much faith in a brand name. Some times just because of a brand name doesnt mean quality..all time
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 7:11 pm

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:

@arrison wrote:All my work sockets and ratchets are Britool. Had them years though, from before the Stanley buyout when the quality went downhill

So are they a poor quality now?

Theyre not poor, but theyre not what they used to be either. Before the buyout, all Britool kit was red. A workmate liked the set I had and bought the equivalent, post buyout. It had been rebranded and the colour changed to blue, and the finish wasnt half as good as mine. Ratchet action wasnt as smooth, and the direction switch broke off after a couple of months, whereas mines still good as new after 15 years of almost daily use. Still better than the no-name chinese Ebay stuff, but not what it used to be.
Invisible_Man
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Invisible_Man on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 9:36 pm

Hi,
Many years ago i was given a simple cheap socket set, a good quality, old, 1/2 Britool ratchet and a set of Draper Expert ring spanners. When i came across jobs which required tooling i didn't have i bought the item i needed. As it was usually a socket here or an adaptor there i spent a little bit more and bought better quality. The result is over a few years you end up with a toolbox of good quality tools you'll actually use and have use for rather than a cheap set full of tools that will never see the light of day.

I like the draper expert stuff; good value and good quality for the home mechanic.

IM
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 10:58 pm

@Invisible_Man wrote:Hi,
Many years ago i was given a simple cheap socket set, a good quality, old, 1/2 Britool ratchet and a set of Draper Expert ring spanners. When i came across jobs which required tooling i didn't have i bought the item i needed. As it was usually a socket here or an adaptor there i spent a little bit more and bought better quality. The result is over a few years you end up with a toolbox of good quality tools you'll actually use and have use for rather than a cheap set full of tools that will never see the light of day.

I like the draper expert stuff; good value and good quality for the home mechanic.

IM

Yip, and I think in my original post I referred to that as I wasn't wanting a 170 odd piece of halfords (for example) kit that would be 80% unused. 
I already have a head start with my Proxxon set. Good spanners in all the sizes I'll need, really good pliers, screwdrivers and a good range of sockets in albeit 1/2 " drive size. I might just add as you say a socket or two of excellent quality. When I get more involved with the service I'll know. 
It has to be said I've coveted Stahlwille for a long time so I think any high quality will be from their range. I really would like some British kit though. 
Mad_Taffy_500
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Mad_Taffy_500 on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 8:01 am

Just my two cents 

But having a halfords 170pcs tool kit and just buying a britool rachet set i would say that there on par with each other. Maybe the britool has that small advantage over the halfords kit as it feels a little smoother and has a soft grip handle for a better feel but i would say that for home use the halfords  kit would be just fine.

But i feel for day to day use the britool is going to be the better of the kit which is why im building  a britool kit for work 

Also having used tangtools is not a bad kit but after 10 years of ever day use my boss kit is starting to brake as most of his rachets have broken and screw drives have chiped of bent 

As for king dick im not impressed with the quality  of them at all finding the spanner's to be of a poor quality and sizing to be abit on big size and as for the rachets dont even bother as over the last year me and a work colleague have broken the rachet device 4 times even after having it replaced or repaired
biglee
Rossi
Rossi

Post by biglee on Mon 23 Nov 2015, 12:39 am

hi all i have the halfords advance socket set 100 piece comes with a lifetime gaurentee saame as snap on had it 7 years i have broke the rachett twice and damaged some of the sockets just took the broken bits back showed my purchase card and they replaced sockets from stock and waited for 2 days for the rachett one outlay only never have to buy another socket or rachett pretty good quality overall sound ecomic sence
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 03 Dec 2015, 2:48 pm

This 94 piece  set might be worth a punt if someone's looking to put a tool kit together.  From the reviews I've read it seems the ratchets are begging to be replaced but the sockets themselves (6 point) are good quality. You could certainly do worse for £35.00.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 11 Dec 2017, 9:07 am