Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Clunking dash

Vanis
Squiddy
Squiddy

Clunking dash

Post by Vanis on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 3:17 pm

Hello people. Very quick question - my instrument panel clunks every time I go over a bump or pothole. Is this normal, and is there a way to stop it?
I can't work out which bit is moving, I had a look when I was replacing the bulbs in there last week but could only see two mounting points and all seemed pretty solid. I then thought it might be all the plugs and cables inside the headlight but they're so tightly packed in I can't see them being able to move enough to make such a big clunk.
I had a CBF600 a couple of years ago and it also did it, so I'm assuming it's just something they do. I can live with it but it pisses me off, I hate clunks and creaks and squeaks. 
Thanks
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Clunking dash

Post by Beresford on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 3:27 pm

Is your bike a naked or an 'S' ?
Vanis
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Vanis on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 3:48 pm

It's a naked one, 1999. It has a small screen on as well, which I wondered about but all the bolts are tight.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:26 pm

Check to make sure the headlight bracket has all the rubber bushes, these locate in the top and bottom yoke. No's 1 in this diagram
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 4:47 pm

In the past, I've had clunking noises from the headlight, where the innards had started to break up. However mine's an 'S' so that's out. Also from the forks where one set of bushes was wearing.

And lastly from one of the mirrors where a plastic inner shell was loose! In each case it took ages to find the cause as the noise was never simple to pinpoint.

Good hunting !!
Vanis
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Vanis on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 5:30 pm

Thanks for the pointers. I hadn't checked the bushes, I'll go over it properly tomorrow and see if I can nail it. Fingers crossed...
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 5:52 pm

You'll know if the bushes have gone because you'll be able to rock the headlight up and down a fraction, fingers crossed you find it!
Vanis
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Vanis on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 8:27 pm

There is some movement there, not the headlight itself but I can wiggle the whole instrument cluster up and down - I thought that must be normal. I'm going to have a close look in the daylight tomorrow morning. cheers

Post by Guest on Wed 18 Nov 2015, 7:07 am

Loose change? Laughing 

Nah... good luck.
Vanis
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Vanis on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 7:01 pm

OK, so the bushes might have gone. I can rock the whole frame that holds the headlight and dash up and down. There's a fair bit of cracking in the rubber by the look of it as well. I'll have to get closer up at the weekend, not had a chance to give it a thorough examination yet. Has anyone replaced these, and how much of a pain in the arse was it? It looks like you must have to loosen the fork yokes or something
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 7:44 pm

If you can see cracks you can bet they're toast. I've replaced them before but it was so long ago whilst doing other stuff at the front end (including fork seals) I can't remember if I'd loosened the yokes or just relied on the elasticity of the bracket arms.
Vanis
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Vanis on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:04 am

So they might bend enough to unhook them? That's good to know, cheers. They look solid as owt to me, I didn't think it would be a possibility from looking at them.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 1:03 pm

Don't try to bend the headlight frame, it will crack the paint and rust (I know that from experience!)
It's not much of a job to loosen off the top yoke to give yourself enough room to fit the new bushes, little tip; fit the bushes to the yokes first and then fit the headlight bracket, they expand too much if you fit them to the bracket first.
Vanis
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Vanis on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 1:29 pm

Aha, thanks. I was wondering about that as well.
I had noticed the paint's flaked off in a couple of areas, nothing too major but I don't want to make it any worse. Loosening yokes it is then (doing it properly). Just need to get bushes ordered.
Cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 7:32 am