Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Hell yeah!

jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Hell yeah!

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 7:08 pm

I last adjusted my valve clearances at 17,000 miles and have just checked them at 50,000 (they should technically have been done at 32,000 and 48,000) and......they're all within spec, with 5/8 of them being bang in the middle of the tolerance range. I was slightly dreading the b.-ache of taking the camshafts out, and I don't have to. Woohoo! Safe for another 16,000 miles (or so...).

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Hell yeah!

Post by sullivj on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 9:50 pm

Happy times. Having just had mine done at 16k, I'm really pleased to hear they could be good for a very long time!
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 10:58 pm

If I recall correctly from other threads, there's been a good few "low" mileage bikes on the forum where at least some of valves have been out of spec. Mine's got 18.5k on the clock so deffo goin to get this looked at. Would be great not to have to do it for another 30k or so tho'.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 11:19 pm

All of my exhaust valves were out last time I checked. I think there's more of a change between 0 and 16,000 miles than between 16,000 and 50,000 miles, probably because of the way the engine wears in.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 6:18 am

7 of 8 of mine needed doing.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 8:34 am

@sullivj wrote:7 of 8 of mine needed doing.
2 or 3 of there ones that got canged were technically withn spec. They were right on the limt though.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 6:47 pm

@ashcroc wrote:

2 or 3 of there ones that got canged were technically withn spec.  They were right on the limt though.

Close - 4 were right on the limit, so I would consider needed to be changed.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 6:47 pm

@ashcroc wrote:

2 or 3 of there ones that got canged were technically withn spec.  They were right on the limt though.

If yours were on the limit, but within spec, would you leave them alone?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 7:26 pm

@sullivj wrote:

@ashcroc wrote:

If yours were on the limit, but within spec, would you leave them alone?

Depends on the circumstances.
If I were in your boat & replacing others I'd change them but if all others were within spec I'd leave it until the next check.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:31 pm

Yeah good approach. One of my inlets was on 0.14 which I'd open up to 0.16-0.18 if I were changing others, but in this case, since nearly all the others were bang on I was hardly going to take the camshafts out just for that when 0.14 is allowed by the spec. 

I should add to this post to say that the clearances have closed a little since I adjusted them 33,000 miles ago - I left them on the loose side of the range in most cases - but it's very pleasing that it hasn't been enough of a change to take them out of the allowed range. It'll be interesting to see what they're at next time.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 1:03 pm

The range that Honda gives should allow for the wear over the next service interval i.e. if you know it is within the limit when you do the test you should be fine until the next check.

The only problem is when you can't be sure of gap measurement - for example, if the limit falls between two of the sizes you are able to measure with your feeler gauges, in these cases it is probably best to err on the side of caution.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 1:14 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:The range that Honda gives should allow for the wear over the next service interval i.e. if you know it is within the limit when you do the test you should be fine until the next check.
That's my thoughts exactly. My reasoning behind changing shims on the limit if others are out is it reduces the chances of having to change any on the next check.
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Sun 15 Nov 2015, 9:08 pm

do you ever notice much change once they have been done?
Ayep
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Ayep on Wed 25 Nov 2015, 3:23 pm

With the winter days finally here I got cracking and checked the clearance. Am slightly off clearance specs so decided to order the necessary shims and do the job.

However, with the cam chain tensioner removed, I found there was sufficient slack in the chain to tilt the cam shaft slightly forwards (or backwards for the other), without removing the chain from the sprocket nor forcing it. This way, I could remove the shims (thank you magnet rod!!), replace the covers, tilt the shaft in thé opposite direction, remove the shims, and same again with the other shaft.

Al in all, so far,  have not had to remove the cam shafts.  Does anyone else proceed this way? Presumably it's best to remove it altogether to minimise the risk of damaging the drive chain... Or is it simply because one has to remove the cam shafts to replace the new shims? As often, things tend to be easier to dismantle than put back together Very Happy

Anything else I should check while the engine cover is off?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 6:32 am