Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

ACF50 - Winter Protection

sullivj
the 900
the 900

ACF50 - Winter Protection

Post by sullivj on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 11:55 am

As I cleaned the bike yesterday, I thought it was a good time to apply my winter protection.

I half fill a parafin gun with ACF50 and after masking off the discs and pads, I get spraying. It can go EVERYWHERE on the bike, although tyres are best avoided affraid

Even with a well vented garage, I needed to take a breather every now and again!

And then a quick wipe over with a microfibre cloth and it's all done. Ready for the salted road driving that I try to avoid!

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: ACF50 - Winter Protection

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 5:53 pm

Yeah proper way to do it, bought my first can of acf50 today
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 7:12 pm

I wish I could be arsed. It's probably the best thing to do. Mine just gets a very oily rag and the odd shower of gt85 or similar. Header bolts, rear shocks and swing arm are the main targets. Because it doesn't see much in the way of rain, this kind of regimen has proved pretty effective for the last couple of years or so. Both 500s haven't really aged that much.

Last edited by trevor machine on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 7:40 pm

@sullivj wrote:As I cleaned the bike yesterday, I thought it was a good time to apply my winter protection.

I half fill a parafin gun with ACF50 and after masking off the discs and pads, I get spraying. It can go EVERYWHERE on the bike, although tyres are best avoided affraid

Even with a well vented garage, I needed to take a breather every now and again!

And then a quick wipe over with a microfibre cloth and it's all done. Ready for the salted road driving that I try to avoid!

hope you wore a mask you can see all the over spray floating around your garage, that wouldn't do your lungs much good Neutral

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 7:46 pm

I definately should have worn a mask, but didn't... Do not try this at home!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 7:50 pm

that will probably protect you from the winter elements never mind your bike
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 8:05 pm

Yeah it always a good idea to use a dustmask, but i would suggest the ones with  separate filters(charcoal i think)the type edd china uses in wheeler dealers, i use the cheapish ones in construction but when u use goggles can steam up, there better than none at all
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 8:54 pm

always take care of your health when that goes you are spragged

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 9:07 pm

You're right of course. Next time I'll get masked up - if only to get the taste of ACF out of my mouth NoNo
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 5:10 pm

I sprayed my cb in open, took off seat panels tank sprayed it everywhere bar tyres discs n calipers,

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 6:05 pm

Sounds like a proper job.

Despite bagging up my discs and calipers, I've lost some braking effort, so I need to give the pads a scrub with some brake cleaner.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 6:52 pm

Sometimes they get so contaminated that there's no getting them back. The compound is kind of porous almost, and some solvents and lubricants seem to become absorbed by it. On the one occasion I got liberal with some ACF50 (before I even had my full license), I got some on my front pads - the guy who works on my bikes said to chuck 'em. He's actually a pretty good friend as well so I don't think he was just trying to flog me a pair of new 'uns.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 7:16 pm

yea they get impregnated and that's it they are knackered
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 7:26 pm

It's safer just to whip the pads out before spraying anything like this on. That way you can protct the caliper too then clean up the disc prior toputting them back in.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 7:48 pm

@ashcroc wrote:It's safer just to whip the pads out before spraying anything like this on.  That way you can protct the caliper too then clean up the disc prior toputting them back in.

That's what I SHOULD have done. A 60 mile run has sorted it.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 7:52 pm

a long run on a quiet dry road and keep hitting the brakes that could burn it off
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 10:31 am

@wornsprokets wrote:Yeah proper way to do it, bought my first can of acf50 today

I started with the cans but the fluid in a hand spray is a much better way and seems to last allot longer.

Did the pair of mine yesterday for the first time via my shiny new compressor - very addictive and used allot less than I imagined it would as the mist was finer than the hand spray and also meant less work with the rag after. I wrapped the tyres in towels on the understanding it would absorb any spray going near the wheels, discs and pads and felt no ill effects on the ride to work this morning.

Dan
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 7:38 am

@sullivj wrote: A 60 mile run has sorted it.

A 60 mile run will sort most things.

Never thought a motorbike could be used for medicinal purposes, but it can! Hop on and blast away the gloom of everyday trudging through my working day. Off to the twisties!

Out doing just that the other afternoon I came upon two small boys playing near the road. Bike seemed to attract them like a magnet. Heh. Comment "Whoa, what a cool bike!" from a seven-year-old made me smile.

The 'umble CB done it - again!

But yes - winter's coming. Bring out the ACF50. For me, insurance mandates hibernation. Bike's off the road from Dec 1., so I'm trying hard to wring out as much fun and use of the bike as I can before transferring to 'the dark side'; cager mode.

I'm thinking of getting a 'Biker inside' sticker for the boot - just to make sure people know. And then I'll have to simply wait it out until March 1.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 5:03 pm

SB, is it not possible to insure it through the winter?
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 5:52 pm

Yeah - wow, I'd really miss it. True - I don't ride as much. But when I do - which is basically any dry day - it's almost as good as during the height of summer. That said, I was out today and started to feel it a bit. Had reach down and grab the casings at junctions. I don't - won't - have heated grips (stupidly, stubbornly) and wasn't wearing my thicker winter gloves. Nevertheless, and despite even the terrible state of the roads (that greasy, slick coating everywhere - with lots of rainbow patches everywhere, and mud splats at regular intervals), there were still enough dry lines to crack on a bit.
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 11:11 pm

@trevor machine wrote: .....I don't - won't - have heated grips (stupidly, stubbornly)....

I used to think like that but on long very cold trips when I could hardly grab the controls because of numbness and nearly f**ked up a few times, I relented. They're worth it.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 7:01 am

@sullivj wrote:SB, is it not possible to insure it through the winter?

Definitely - it's a matter of paying a premium said to reflect the added risk. My issue is not the premium, but the risk. Also, you of all people should recognize what winter does to the bike. I don't like that either, so after having properly ruined - as in rust-away-till-useless - a chinese EU45 scooter by taking it through the snow and salt for four consecutive winters, I've decided not to let my CB suffer the same fate.

Hibernation.

Besides, the family needed a second car. SWMBO decided upon a tiny Mazda2 recently (brilliant thinking, discreetly inspired by yours truly), and the darn thing doesn't have a trailer hook. So I grabbed the chance to buy a big ugly gas guzzler for winter use. A rusty Citroen Xantia Estate, recently MoT'd and with both a trailer hook and a gigantic boot. Bought over the phone one dark night, and driven home uninspected. Insurance is reasonable and comfort is - well, aaaahhhh! Me likes these hydraulic madman's-cars and despite their crappy electrics and distinct primadonna-personality I'd choose one of those over almost anything else.

Besides, it was dirt-cheap Smile

So, I've been up to my neck in problem-solving the last couple of weeks. Most of the rattles are now gone, the engine once again sounds as it's supposed to and almost all of the electrics are now working - bar the aircon fans. I've even made new friends at the scrapyard where I buy 'new' spares.

That, though, won't stop me riding the bike.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 7:17 am

@trevor machine wrote:I don't - won't - have heated grips (stupidly, stubbornly)

+1
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 8:47 am

@jerryfudd wrote:

@trevor machine wrote:I don't - won't - have heated grips (stupidly, stubbornly)

+1

You could always go for heated muffs instead.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:53 am

@ashcroc wrote:
@jerryfudd wrote:

+1

You could always go for heated muffs instead.

they look even worse.... I've gone a winter with some thick Weise gloves I'm sure ill survive another Smile

My biggest problem with heated grips is the additional (unessential) wiring looking ugly and also doesn't it make the OD of the grips slightly bigger? That and not being the OE grip pattern would really f*** with my OCD lol Smile

Dan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 6:34 am