Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Engine Painting

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Engine Painting

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 12:58

Hi All,

I am currently Honda-less so I am doing as much research as I can before I can get back to play with it in a few weeks.

My bike is rather scruffy and could do with the engine being painted. It has already been hand painted badly once by the previous owner which may at least have helped protect it even if it does look terrible.

I want to repaint it, possibly in black, but I don't think it is worth the effort of engine removal. Has anyone painted their engine in the frame and if so how did it turn out and what technique did you use. I imagine the hardest part will be de-greasing all the nooks and crannies to get the paint to take.

Also, as it is a black bike, any suggestions on parts to leave silver to prevent the black on black approach looking flat? I will at least sand the fin edges I think.

Any thoughts or experiences?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Engine Painting

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 13:06

I've painted the side covers with the engine in situ - this wasn't a problem as they stick out a bit and you can mask off the rest quite easily.

I suspect that painting a whole engine while in the frame and getting a good result may be rather difficult.

Quite a lot of my engine, especially near the front/headers area has a load of that white aluminium corrosion on it - you would want to sand that off before painting and I think this would be pretty much impossible with the engine in the frame.

If you are looking for the 'rat bike' look then don't worry about any of the above: just mask off the bits you don't want and hit it with the black paint.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 13:14

I am looking for the ''Good as possible for a battered old Honda'' look. It has never been a looker but I think I can at least out do the current paint job including the half silver airbox and silver cables that look particularly horrible.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 13:28

@liverpool_f_ wrote:I am looking for the ''Good as possible for a battered old Honda'' look.

OK - that might be easier!

You'll need to scrape/sand/poke as much of the engine surface as possible.  This process may well take a while and be quite annoying - but it might well be less annoying than taking the engine out of the frame along with all of its difficulties (front engine bolt anyone?).  If you take the tank off then you'll be able to get to the top of the valve cover too.

You'll then need to mask off the rest of the bike - I find that old bed-sheets, newspaper and masking tape (lots of it!) are good for this kind of thing.  You won't be able to get it perfect, but with some time spent you should be able to make it look OK, as per your 'battered old Honda' specification.

Obviously at some point you will need to do some degreasing.

I suspect that all the prep will take longer than the actual spraying! Having said this, it would be no different if you took the engine out!
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 13:56

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 14:14

Looks like you did a really nice job of your engine Jerry. Have you any pictures of the engine in the bike so I can see how black the whole thing turned out?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 14:16

Its all in the link on my signature - or click here
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 14:33

that looks awesome! I would be happy if my bike looks 1/20th as good as that. Looks like there is a lot of info in your posts to digest about the process so I will have to dive into that.

Does anyone have any specific info for attempting to paint the engine in situ?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 14:47

@liverpool_f_ wrote:Does anyone have any specific info for attempting to paint the engine in situ?

I would have thought it would be much the same, just more restrictive with a shed load of masking all centering around the general principle (as most paint jobs do) that the more things around it you remove the better it would be..... probably to the point to make a semi decent job you'd have to remove so much (like carbs,tank, airbox, downpipes, starter, leads etc etc) you might aswell just go 1 step further and drop the lump out.

However if you just want to make it look aesthetically better then drop the idea of changing colour and just do the sides and the casings in as close a silver as you can (there is discussions on colours in one of the links earlier).

If you want to get an idea of what can be done by just tidying up the casings look at sullivj's thread where he replaced them.

http://www.cb500club.net/t3894-sidecover-replacement

Dan
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 15:46

I think dropping the colour change my be a wise decision. I want to avoid too much disassembly beyond tank and seat because I can envisage the snapping of bolts and many puzzled expressions on my face trying to reassemble a bike that worked before I took it apart. Plus, even if I did an awesome job a la Dans engine paint job the rest of the bike still looks erm... rustic, so may not be worth the effort. It has kind of has the aesthetic of Jerryfudds before pictures. Same colour scheme to.

P.S. Sorry for calling you Jerry. Easy mistake to make
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 15:52

s'ok, I've got used to it actually... I took the name from a cartoon my kids watched as it made me laugh Smile

dado_dassler
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by dado_dassler on Sat 17 Oct 2015 - 23:03

@liverpool_f_ wrote:I want to repaint it, possibly in black, but I don't think it is worth the effort of engine removal. Has anyone painted their engine in the frame and if so how did it turn out and what technique did you use. I imagine the hardest part will be de-greasing all the nooks and crannies to get the paint to take.

i did end up painting mine with the engine in the frame partially because i didn't know if the paint was going to hold, dismounting the engine seemed too much of a hassle back then just to get both sides of the engine painted silver with a paint not specifically designed to withstand high temperature.

it ended up looking better than i had expected and the paint does put up with the heat, if i could re-do it i would have done it properly with the engine out of the frame simply because the rest of the bike is in good condition.

the colors are very distinguishable, and if you decide to go for black there will be many areas you won't be able to reach, prepare and paint properly. 

prepared:

result:
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 18 Oct 2015 - 6:53

That came out well - certainly did a thorough job on the prep with all those bolt heads!

Out of interest what paint did you use?
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sun 18 Oct 2015 - 9:18

I would be very happy with those results dado_dassler! looks like you didn't even need to remove the tank to get the job done. Any pointers that you learnt from your experience? How much effort did you put into cleaning, paint removal, degreasing etc? Especially around the cooling fins.

dado_dassler
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by dado_dassler on Sun 18 Oct 2015 - 21:49

@jerryfudd wrote:That came out well - certainly did a thorough job on the prep with all those bolt heads!

Out of interest what paint did you use?

ye, i didn't want the bolts to lose their steel-look.
the first paint i used was this heat resistant one (650° version) but the color was too bright.
i prepared and masked everything once more and ended up using this car paint #55200, if you decide to go for this kind then i would advise you to pick #55180 or #55150, both slightly darker than mine and the closest you will get to the original color.

@liverpool_f_ wrote:I would be very happy with those results dado_dassler! looks like you didn't even need to remove the tank to get the job done. Any pointers that you learnt from your experience? How much effort did you put into cleaning, paint removal, degreasing etc? Especially around the cooling fins.

removing the tank is an easy job and i regret that i didn't do it, then i would've been able to paint the valve cover as there's some rust there too which is only visible if you watch from a lower angle, but i'll do that this winter for peace of mind.

i had the same problem, the previous owner had covered the rusty areas with paint and there were scratches, marks and areas where the paint had peeled off. cleaning and sanding takes the most depending on how good you want it to look in the end, the more time you spend preparing it the better it's going to look when you're finished. regarding the cooling fins, i just made sure there was no remaining paint, the rusty areas were gone and the surface was even, if it's too severe fill out the rough areas with primer and leave to dry before you start painting.

the first thing i did was rubbing off the old paint with a rag soaked with petrol, then i went on with sanding all the rusty spots and scratches (use the edge of whatever tool you can find to get to the rough areas with the paper), i repeated this method but with some finer sandpaper, i masked off everything incl. bolts and wires, finally i wiped all surfaces with a rag on ethanol and warmed up the engine slightly, i started off spraying a small amount of primer on those areas that looked more worn than the rest and waited less than half an hour, then i hit it with a few layers of paint and put a heater fan on both sides of the engine to maintain the temperature.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Sun 18 Oct 2015 - 23:04

i painted in situ, and results were good. firstly sprayed the engine with this degreaser, its pretty aggressive but does the job nicely

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Astonish-C1606-750ml-Engine-Degreaser/dp/B004RXS04O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1445205456&sr=8-3&keywords=engine+degreaser

Gave it a rinse with a hose, dried it off, masked the sides off and sprayed them silver with halford engine paint i think, and then masked the front and painted that black. results were pretty good, and with the front being black it doesn't look half as dirty as it used to when painted silver. say that, its been about two years and its time for a touch up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017 - 19:58