Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Electrical system capabilities

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Electrical system capabilities

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 2:50 pm

Hi all,

I am just wondering what the capacity of the cb's stator is and how much the bike is likely to use under the most demanding circumstances. With that considered, how much headroom is left to draw additional current for peripherals such as heated grips, device chargers etc.

I have heard from anecdotal sources that the electrical system isn't that beefy so there may not be too much capacity left for some electrical niceties.

What are peoples thoughts on the issue?
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Electrical system capabilities

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 12:41 pm

I've got heated grips and a cigarette lighter socket for USB charging under the seat, never had any problems.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 1:02 pm

Heated grips and a usb socket shouldn't be a problem, unless you spend all of your time idling or nearly idling.

My commute to work is not fast, through a lot of traffic and not very long: I can have problems if I have the heated grips and the headlight on at the same time. If your commute or regular use will involve high speed work (hence faster engine speed, more power from alternator) then you won't have a problem.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 3:46 pm

I do spend a lot of time doing 70mph but I do city riding as well so will make sure not to over load the old beast. I do have a new battery to install but no way of doing the initial charge so I guess it is a project for after I figure that one out
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 4:07 pm

You won't regret fitting the grips, best thing I ever bought for it and beats warming your hands on the engine!
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 7:26 am

@liverpool_f_ wrote:I do have a new battery to install but no way of doing the initial charge so I guess it is a project for after I figure that one out
Initial charge: I don't believe you'll need it. Pop the new battery in and see if the bike will start on the starter. If not, jumpstart it. Then go for a ride to charge (yours and the bikes') battery. Job done.

My battery finally died monday morning after having decayed all through the autumn. Having read here how to do a jumpstart, I did so and went to work. Exchanged the battery yesterday evening and that was it - bike started first try.

My battery came in three parts; the battery box, a set of little bottles containing sulphuric acid and a lid. The bottle-set matched filling holes in the battery, so it was a matter of pressing them all into the holes in one go to transfer the liquid, then put the lid on and install the complete battery. Combining liquid and battery causes initial charge to happen all by itself.

Working with batteries presents two major dangers. Sulphuric acid is highly corrosive and the electric energy in the battery must be respected. When fiddling with the wiring, one must realise that work is done on an entirely unfused circuit and that the battery is capable of producing current in the hundreds-of-Ampere-range. Avoid spills and short circuits!
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 10:53 am

@stormbringer wrote:

@liverpool_f_ wrote:I do have a new battery to install but no way of doing the initial charge so I guess it is a project for after I figure that one out

Initial charge: I don't believe you'll need it. 

Agree. When I got a new battery, after adding the acid and waiting the required time, it was measuring over 13V.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 12:09 pm

interesting about the initial charge. Maybe I will just go for it as the old 1 is pretty lifeless
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 12:47 pm

Most batteries where you get to add the acid will be fine, as per stormbringer's post.

Ones which come 'ready to go' (ie. acid already added) might need some charging, but only if they've been sitting around for a good while.

You can get a trickle charger (which will do the job, if you leave it overnight) from ebay for not much money.

Stormbringer: glad to hear you managed to get the bike going without too much fuss.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 11:38 pm