Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Swinging Arm

freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Swinging Arm

Post by freeride on Sat 10 Oct 2015, 6:23 pm

Are the rear swinging arms identical throughout the range build? One size fits all? I've bought a replacement  as mine came back after the MOT with an advisory as there was a large hole on the underside-hammered?
The replacement looks identical but the rear of the front curve (facing the rear tyre) has a projecting welded seam but the original has not?

Other than that all looks the same including the measurement from centre of swinging arm bolt to the far end.Brackets all the same etc?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Swinging Arm

Post by ashcroc on Sat 10 Oct 2015, 7:58 pm

The only difference I know about is between the drum & disc versions for the caliper mounts.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 10 Oct 2015, 8:08 pm

The CB500R-T '94-'96 swinging arms have a wee bracket for the brake pedal return spring. The '97-on disc rear brake 'arms have a slot for caliper mount. They're not interchangeable without some ball-ache, but they will slot in.
freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by freeride on Sat 10 Oct 2015, 10:51 pm

Many thanks for your help. But the welding does differ on the two disc swinging arms so I guess they had two manufacturers?
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 10 Oct 2015, 10:54 pm

There are some frame differences twixt the S and the nakes bike. I don't know about the swinging arms, but there could be a difference; they have a different wheelbase....
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sat 10 Oct 2015, 11:01 pm

freeride wrote:Many thanks for your help. But the welding does differ on the two disc swinging arms so I guess they had two manufacturers?

It could just be down to the welder or it may have been repaired at some point.. If the dimensions are the same then it'll work fine.
freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by freeride on Wed 30 Dec 2015, 2:14 pm

Haynes suggests that the exhaust is removed before the swinging arm is removed. Is it necessary to remove the exhaust first or do you need to remove for clearance?
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 30 Dec 2015, 6:32 pm

There are actually two variations of the disc brake swing arm - one has a lip between the upper and bottom half and the other is more of a flush casting / weld. It may be that these vary by naked and sport variants respectively - but I'm not too sure on that score. At any rate, and more relevantly, I'm not sure if this difference means there are other slight changes that may affect compatibility and fitting etc. I would guess everything else would be the same - but I simply don't know for sure.
freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by freeride on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 1:54 pm

trevor machine wrote:There are actually two variations of the disc brake swing arm - one has a lip between the upper and bottom half and the other is more of a flush casting / weld. It may be that these vary by naked and sport variants respectively - but I'm not too sure on that score. At any rate, and more relevantly, I'm not sure if this difference means there are other slight changes that may affect compatibility and fitting etc. I would guess everything else would be the same - but I simply don't know for sure.

Many thanks and I'll see how I go when I get the swinging arm off. If they are different then I'll weld the original.
Just looked and the naked disc model has a flush casting and so does the S model disc. The arm I've bought is a disc model but has a lip between the upper and bottom halves as explained above so I'll see if it fits.

Any guidance on whether it is a must do to remove the exhaust to get the swinging arm off and back on.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 6:40 am