You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

new to honda

biglee
Godly
Godly

new to honda

Post by biglee on Sat 10 Oct 2015, 6:12 pm

hi all,just lst saturday purchased my first cbf 500 08 7,200 miles silver abs been bikeing for meny meny years had meny bikes from fs1e to harley electroglide and loads more inbetween  my last 2 bikes i had together er5 and gs500 both good in there own rights but this is my first cbf and i have got to say better than the er5 and gs so far hs anyone got any good dvice on owning one what to look out for plus and minus points on the bike ect i have noticed the ignition swith is a little fiddley hard to get the key in and out sometimes  i have wd 40 it but made no difference any suggestions ? thanks in advance all cheers
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: new to honda

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 10 Oct 2015, 6:30 pm

Welcome mate!
I've no experience with the CBF but the engine is the same, they're bullet proof if you change the oil regularly.
Only problem I ever had with the ignition was the handlebar lock doesn't quite line up where the stop on the frame has worn; have to turn the bars slightly to engage it. Oh that and the key can be removed with the ignition on, just wear and tear that, have to remember to put key in pocket after starting!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 10 Oct 2015, 7:20 pm

Hello there!

Have you looked at the key? They can wear, which might explain the problem.

It might also be worth trying some graphite-type lock lubricant, if WD40 doesn't have the desired effect.
biglee
Godly
Godly

Post by biglee on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 11:43 am

thanks for your replies i will try grifite
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 12:14 pm

Run a pencil lead over the edge of the key. It deposits graphite powder into the lock & is far cheaper than a spray Wink

Jerryfudd got a pattern ignition & got it converted to run on the standard key which is another option.
biglee
Godly
Godly

Post by biglee on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 4:27 pm

hi all i purchased from a dealer so i might ask if its covered by the warrenty
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 4:47 pm

@biglee wrote:hi all i purchased from a dealer so i might ask if its covered by the warranty

Do that if they mumble just say about how it's unfit for purpose so it should be fixed by them, if they say anything more mention it's in the Sale of Goods Act 1979
biglee
Godly
Godly

Post by biglee on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 6:34 pm

thanks for the info i will use it to my advantage
biglee
Godly
Godly

Post by biglee on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 6:36 pm

forgot to say its an outside warrenty like wrrenty wise for cars supplyed by the dealer
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 8:18 pm

If you are buying it from a dealer then it has to be in 'working' condition, irrespective of any warranty (someone mentioned sale of goods act - they are right!), if it doesn't work then you can take it back: they can fix it or give you your money back.

Before you try that it might well be worth trying that pencil trick...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 21 Oct 2018, 6:05 pm