Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Got bike mended & back on road

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Got bike mended & back on road

Post by trevor machine on Thu 08 Oct 2015, 9:07 pm

Just over a year ago I crashed and wrecked my (first) CB500. There are some details in this thread:

http://www.cb500club.net/t3025-binned-it#22392

About ten minutes ago I finally retrieved my bike - it's had quite extensive work. It needed clocks, tank, rear pillion peg hanger thing, genny case was badly scratched, bars were bent, LHS switch gear smashed, and probably one or two other things I can't remember. Oh yeah - LHS tail cowl and rad cover were quite scratched. 

It's been round at a mates for the past year, bits and bobs being done as and when he's had time. Fortunately he's got good contacts at Dream Machine Superpaint, Nottingham. This meant I got the badly damaged tank repaired and sprayed (w/ decals), plus all plastics - and the guy has done an excellent job. The bike now looks brand new - perhaps even better than. Everything else was done by my mate - who himself did some paintwork and repairs to the genny cover and slightly corroded replacement hanger. Which has also been done to a really high standard.

He wanted £350 for everything - but I gave him more because of how well it's been done. It has taken ages though - I knew it would, mind you. It would've easily cost twice as much if I'd had to shop around and get it done by less conscientious dudes. The Dream Machine place is renowned for not being particularly cheap, for instance.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I actually bought another CB500 last November for £750. This is an early green one - the bike I crashed was dark silver (titanium?) w/ yellow trim, and thus has Brembos front and back. The green bike has been ridden quite a lot since then and I've clocked up over 15k on it - it had 31 on it when bought. No history, mismatching lump # w/ logbook. It rides very well. Fyi, the bike I crashed had 8k on it when I got it (for £1500), and around 30k on it when I came off it. The "new" clocks read 34k. So not too far out. 

So as I said, tonight I finally went to get the bugger. I was a bit anxious cos I wasn't sure if it would ride straight, even though my mate said the geometry was as it should be. It started very quickly, from cold - he'd kept my battery on some sort of Optimate charger. Just half choke and a bit of throttle nursing and I was ready to set off for home - only a few miles away.

As soon as I sat on it I thought damn, this feels different than my green one. Seat felt higher somehow - perhaps t'other has had some scooped out? Firmer too. Secondly, maybe the bars are a little further forward. But, having a de-baffled Fuel exhaunst, it sounded very similar. Yet there was something different to the engine note - well, not the engine but the transmission. It has a far more audible whine than the earlier green bike. I remembered it straight away. Strange, that. The gearbox itself also feels different - I've always thought of the older bike having a sweeter, more pleasing selector. The repaired bike feels like there's more play, somehow. Lastly, as much as I prefer the older green bike, the Brembos on the newer one are definitely better - does have braided lines too, NB. Difference is most noticeable on the front brake. The best that could be said about the older one's brakes is that there's more "feel". ; - )

Anyway, I'm surprised by how different the bikes seem. Strange to think that two of the same model should be this way, but there it was.

After a mile, I noticed it less and less though. Power wise, I don't think there's much in it - however I'll suss this out to better effect in the next few days. One thing I do want to change is the tyres on the repaired bike. There's so little coming back from the Avons. I don't care that they last five times longer. I'll take the softer compound every time.

Plan is to keep both bikes (!). The older green bike is too good to get rid of, while the repaired bike was basically a write off and I don't want to sell it on and have to tell a potential buyer just how knackered it was.

Pictures of before and after will be posted ASAP.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Got bike mended & back on road

Post by sullivj on Thu 08 Oct 2015, 9:32 pm

Glad you have it back.

Interesting to hear about the differences between the two bikes.

I look forward to seeing the pix.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 09 Oct 2015, 12:41 pm

Glad to hear you got it all sorted. Sounds like you have a good mate there.

The handlebar thing could just be angle related: one or other bike might have the bars at at different angle, hence hands closer or further away.

teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 09 Oct 2015, 1:10 pm

That's great news and an interesting comparison Smile
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Fri 09 Oct 2015, 11:40 pm

I hear ya. My 57k mile '95 and 121k mile '96 feel different (as you would expect), but I prefer riding the higher mileage bike. Is your gear lever sloppy? Mine needed pinching up and felt better afterwards.

I'm glad you've got it back, though. It's nice having more than one!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 2:59 pm