You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

• Reply to topic

New to Honda and taking on a (probably unwise) project!

ratatooie
Running out of unique names

New to Honda and taking on a (probably unwise) project!

Post by ratatooie on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 4:10 pm

Hello from the Isle of Man!

I recently took a gamble and picked up a thankfully cheap rolling chassis drum brake CB500 which has been about 70% molested into a vague shape of a cafe racer. It has about 18,000 original miles. I will post pictures a bit later if I can get home when it is still daylight. 

Basically, it is a bit of a heap and has been sitting in someone's garage for probably about two years or more after illness forced them to stop the project. It has all the signs of neglect and some rust that you would expect, but the engine was rebuilt and fully sandblasted (or soda blasted or whatever) before it was mothballed.

It has lots of original bits and the obligatory spares box as well as a "new" (albeit rusty and in need of sealing etc) fuel tank, new keihin carbs, home made cafe style seat (made out of an old helmet by the looks of it!) and very fetching custom twin megaphone exhausts, which are surprisingly immaculate for their age. The frame has been somewhat modded to suit the lines of this tank and it looks really promising even as is.

My intention is to post a thread documenting my progress over the winter and probably beyond (which part of the forum would be best for that?) so you can all have a laugh at my missteps! I would very much welcome any tips/criticism or even advice here about first stages and beyond. I have some experience in mechanicing bikes, having completely rebuilt a Suzuki DRZ400 engine and all and a KTM 640SM as well as 2t enduros. 

First step will be flushing all fluids and getting the thing going again to my satisfaction. Then on to gathering bits, new and second hand, hopefully with the aid of this forum, fleabay etc. I'm not entirely sure what direction to take this build in, whether it be continue with the cafe, or go for a scrambler, street tracker or what (it is definitely not going back to stock). 

I have a modest budget and don't expect to get back what I will be putting into it financially! It is more of a passion project. That said, I do want to do things properly. 

Cheers!
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Re: New to Honda and taking on a (probably unwise) project!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 4:23 pm

Welcome to the forum!

The best place to document your progress will the the diary's, blogs and articles section here -> http://www.cb500club.net/f14-diaries-blogs-and-articles

I'm interested to see what 'frame modifications' the previous owner has done.....

I'd of thought first on the cards would be to remedy that tank rust unless you are planning on running it with a carb setup tank to begin with..... or is it just external?

As for that last statement, I fell victim to such to that also and thoroughly exceeded my initial 'modest' budget lol Very Happy

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 4:51 pm

But you do now own THE most expensive CB 500 on the planet!
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 4:55 pm

.....probably the most infrequently used also Laughing
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 5:14 pm

@sullivj wrote:But you do now own THE most expensive CB 500 on the planet!

Do you ever get bored of referring to Dan's lovely CB as 'the most expensive'? Very Happy
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 5:16 pm

I'm pretty sure that's a no Smile

but anyway I don't want to hijack this mans thread - we want pics!!!! Very Happy
ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 5:42 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:Welcome to the forum!

I'm interested to see what 'frame modifications' the previous owner has done.....

I'd of thought first on the cards would be to remedy that tank rust unless you are planning on running it with a carb setup tank to begin with..... or is it just external?

As for that last statement, I fell victim to such to that also and thoroughly exceeded my initial 'modest' budget lol Very Happy

Thanks! I actually just finished reading through your epic journey! Very entertaining and instructive from my virgin Honda point of view. The finished product does look amazing. How long front to back do you think it took?

As far as I can see they have flared out the frame under the tank (cosmetically only) so as to run flush with the edges of the tank as it meets the frame (if that makes sense). It looks good anyway. They have also messed about with the frame under the headstock (below the VIN number thankfully!) much more structurally and brought the two pipes into one that follows the line of the headstock further. I may be wrong (I have nothing to compare it to), but to my eye, that is what it looks like. This could obviously present an issue, so I am keeping my finders crossed.

The tank is from some flavour of Yamaha I was told and needs a new petcock and lid. It is really rusty and fairly pitted (they seem to have stripped the paint off it then left it to its own devices), but would hold fuel. I have the original tank, which is still full of 2 year old fuel, but it would not look right with the frame mods. I was going to get it running via a temporary mini fuel tank into the carbs while I am sorting the Yam tank out. 

We have a really really strict "super MOT" on the IOM which I would have to get the bike through so I have to do things properly and have budgeted accordingly.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 6:09 pm

In total I think it took around about 8months and had to fit it in around work and a family - so lots of weekends and late late nights!

You probably know this already but get rid of that fuel - sounds nasty. When I removed my tank I was concerned about rust and the advise I found suggested VERY full and sealed or VERY empty and vented (no petcock or filler). If you're not going to re-fit it they are sort after items - especially if it is in good nick.

Sounds like you have more experience than I did when I started mine so I'm sure you'll breeze it.

Oh, and I'm calling dibs on being a house guest or atleast a camping plot in your garden come TT time Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 6:14 pm

Welcome ratatooie,

Looks like you have an interesting project ahead of you & I look forward to following it as it progresses.

There are some good pics of a standard headstock on this eBay frame for comparison.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 6:16 pm

@badseeds wrote:

@sullivj wrote:But you do now own THE most expensive CB 500 on the planet!

Do you ever get bored of referring to Dan's lovely CB as 'the most expensive'? Very Happy

No, never!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 6:45 pm

Welcome to the forum Rat. It'll be great to see your progress as the bike evolves. 

You have some of the best roads over there.  I came over a couple of years back - super time.
Alvi

Post by Alvi on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 9:18 pm

Hi ratatooie, nice to have another member on the island. Looking forward to the pictures & how your project progresses. Don't worry too much about the test - got my cb5 through ok, they're pussycats really Wink

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 11:15 pm

Welcome along. Good time of year to kick off a project.
I've done up 4 cb500's and for each I've decided from the off what needs doing and what the finished thing is going to be like, too easy to get distracted along the way otherwise.

The assembling / fluids bit is easy enough (get a Haynes manual), making a personalised update on a pretty sound design is not so easy.

Good things to know: handlebar options are limited unless you get longer cables, if it doesn't fuel correctly it'll be the carb block not seating correctly, an inline fuel filter means not worrying about the mesh on top of the fuel tap and correct tyre pressures = worthwhile test rides.

atb

muttley1
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:27 pm

Welcome to the forum, sounds like a good project!
ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Fri 09 Oct 2015, 10:34 am

Thank you all for all the tips so far. I will bear them all in mind. I have taken some photos so will start a new thread in the sub forum given above as soon as I work out how to post photos!

@jerryfudd wrote:If you're not going to re-fit it they are sort after items - especially if it is in good nick.

Oh, and I'm calling dibs on being a house guest or atleast a camping plot in your garden come TT time Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I will bear that in mind and possibly offer the tank up on the for sale section of the forum first to whoever wants it. 

I've been debating letting my house out over TT and Grand Prix for a while. It is pretty much perfect for it! I live only about 20 meters from the course and 10 minutes walk from the grandstand so get all the action over TT, Grand Prix, lots of the Rallys and various parade laps.

I did it once as a favour for some people who were involved with one of the Grand Prix parade laps and that was really easy. 

@Sullivj wrote:You have some of the best roads over there.  I came over a couple of years back - super time.

Haha I must admit that I am partial to the roads and green lanes here. I try to get a lap in each weekend, but neither of my current (running) bikes are really about top speed. I've always been into Sumos and Enduro style bikes so this is very much a new adventure for me! I assume you came for the TT or just a holiday? Where did you stay?

@Alvi wrote:Hi ratatooie, nice to have another member on the island. Looking forward to the pictures & how your project progresses. Don't worry too much about the test - got my cb5 through ok, they're pussycats really 

Hey boy! I took my DRZ through the test and it failed it the first time due to a nut missing from one of the handlebar controls and "excessive noise"!, both of which in fairness were quite correct. A quick exhaust repack and spare nut later and I was good to go! Nice guys in fairness and they seem to like the classic bikes too from what my mates say.

Edit to add: the beginning of the bike's story is live now with pictures: An Unwise Journey
Alvi

Post by Alvi on Mon 12 Oct 2015, 8:11 pm

Hey boy! I took my DRZ through the test and it failed it the first time due to a nut missing from one of the handlebar controls and "excessive noise"!, both of which in fairness were quite correct. A quick exhaust repack and spare nut later and I was good to go! Nice guys in fairness and they seem to like the classic bikes too from what my mates say.

I know what you mean. 25 years ago, I took my TR6 in after a 5 year, last nut & bolt rebuild - everything mechanical was new. They failed it - not enough clips on the copper brake pipe to the master cylinder on the bulkhead. Didn't take anything there for 22 years, but in the last 3 years my UK sourced car, rebuilt CB250N & CB500 all passed 1st time:cheers: Good luck!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Sun 21 Oct 2018, 6:15 pm