Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Fuel economy

Jameshambleton

Re: Fuel economy

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 25 Nov 2015, 5:00 pm

After slowing down and doing the speed limits and been generally less of a hooligan teenager than I am, I've started speeding up more slowly changing up gear at 6K rpm and I've got my mpg up from 48ish upto 56MPG! http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cb500/1997/hambleton/374200
Busby
Squiddy
Squiddy

98 compared to 95 Octane

Post by Busby on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 4:52 pm

I'm getting 13.7ish miles per ltr, but i'm using 98  not 95 Octane, most of this is a mixture of town and long runs. Does anybody else us 98 Octane?
Busby
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 5:59 pm

The octane on these bikes doesn't make a difference. 

On modern vehicles there is usually a fuel sensor which detects the octane of the fuel going through the system and the computer adjusts the fuelling accordingly to make the most of this, this is why people say they get more mpg from "premium fuels" as this is what's happening though if it's cost effective is another argument altogether. In comparison the old Cb doesn't have  any of this so regardless of what octane you put in it you'll still get the same mpg.
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 6:37 pm

My CB has averaged about 65MPG (UK) (4.3L/100km) since I own it, with about 69MPG (4.07L/100km) on my 5,000 km summer roadtrip while driving at 60-70mph outside town. I don't consider myself too slow, I'll hit redline at every ride. I find this a very low consumption, I'm not gonna complain ;P

I did notice that low temperature increased that quite a bit, as well as the amount of cold start you do in the same tank of petrol.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 3:40 pm

ZekeVal wrote:My CB has averaged about 65MPG (UK) (4.3L/100km) since I own it, with about 69MPG (4.07L/100km) on my 5,000 km summer roadtrip while driving at 60-70mph outside town.
Wow!
Over the last 57.000 km, I'm averaging 21.61 km/l, meaning - using your terms - I'm doing 4.63 l/100km (imperial-units-backport: 50.83 mpg).

Run-to-reserve is typically 345 km.

Iridium plugs, RON92, K&N filter, Fuel can.

Best ever would be in the 25 km/l range, riding sedately. Worst ever was 15 km/l-ish doing german autobahn at ~8000 rpm for 600 km (Hannover-Aarhus); maximum cruise speed in my book.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 7:41 pm

No matter what I do, it always averages out at 16km (10miles) per litre. I think that is a factor of riding type (mostly in-traffic runabout) and aerodynamics (I am an extremely large parachute !)
I don't worry too much about it as the engine is very sweet, revs to 10K and idles smoothly at 1k which is unusual I believe.
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 8:27 pm

1k tick over is very low I believe. I think mine is about 1400. I don't worry about fuel consumption either. I think I get about 190/200 miles before I need to hit reserve. Went touring on it last year and got caught out when it ran out of main tank about 160 miles, but I was loaded up for a weeks tour with everything including the kitchen sink, so not an issue. I was only about 2 miles from a motorway services, so reserve was plenty to get me there. :-)
Crash- Elmit
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 9:04 pm

my fuel consumption is the same as Llewelyn1965's
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 9:53 pm

stormbringer wrote:
Over the last 57.000 km, I'm averaging 21.61 km/l, meaning - using your terms - I'm doing 4.63 l/100km (imperial-units-backport: 50.83 mpg).

Run-to-reserve is typically 345 km.

Iridium plugs, RON92, K&N filter, Fuel can.

Best ever would be in the 25 km/l range, riding sedately. Worst ever was 15 km/l-ish doing german autobahn at ~8000 rpm for 600 km (Hannover-Aarhus); maximum cruise speed in my book.

50.83 MPG sounds like US number (American gallon ~ 3.8 litres / UK gallon ~ 4.5 litres), I used UK units thinking it was the norm on a British forum. Those Imperial units should be banned  geek

Then there's the issue of weather we ask ourselves what distance we can drive for a given volume of fuel (km/l) or what volume we consume for a given distance (l/100km)...

l/100km is the norm in France when we talk about fuel consumption, maybe it's just a regional thing, how is it like in Denmark (or elsewhere)?

Anyhow, interesting that the little CB doesn't burn that much at high speed!

I also use iridium plugs, but standard air filter, Leo Vince exhaust and usually 95 octane, occasionally 95E10 (10% ethanol) when I know it's not gonna sit in my tank for 2 month.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 11:20 pm

I use to get 50mpg (uk) with my old carbs, when they got replaced as well as the engine I'm getting between 60 and 70mpg now even though I'm riding much more aggressively
I'm getting a tank range between 240 and 280 miles though I still like to fill up every 175-210 miles
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 6:30 am

Llewelyn1965 wrote:1k tick over is very low I believe. I think mine is about 1400.

1k is too low, 1.4k too high imo. Book 1.25k is fine imo.
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 9:40 am

Jameshambleton wrote:I use to get 50mpg (uk) with my old carbs, when they got replaced as well as the engine I'm getting between 60 and 70mpg now even though I'm riding much more aggressively
I'm getting a tank range between 240 and 280 miles though I still like to fill up every 175-210 miles

Big difference! Do you think you might have had different jets in the 2 carbs?
Fair Weather Rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 11:32 am

Jameshambleton wrote:I use to get 50mpg (uk) with my old carbs, when they got replaced as well as the engine I'm getting between 60 and 70mpg now even though I'm riding much more aggressively

I get the same as you James, but I am not a fast rider, usually cruise at 60mph.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 3:07 pm

280 miles?!

Mine is a relatively low mileage bike and get anything between 160 and 200 before reserve depending on how I'm riding... never got anywhere near 280 though... can anyone else get that?!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 5:13 pm

ceejay wrote:280 miles?!

Mine is a relatively low mileage bike and get anything between 160 and 200 before reserve depending on how I'm riding... never got anywhere near 280 though... can anyone else get that?!

Well the tank is 18 liter which is 3.95945 gallon. 
Take your average mpg and times it by 3.95945 and then you've got your tank range. If you get 50mpg it means your tank range will be 198 miles.

I use fuelly for working my mpg out, handy and simple to use app on your phone too. http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cb500/1997/hambleton/374200
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 5:27 pm

yeah 50mpg sounds about right, I wish I could get 70 but don't think it's going to happen with my bike! Interesting side effect with tank liner, I'm pretty sure it's reduced my tank capacity slightly which makes sense when I think how much gunk goes in and doesn't come out... my 200 miles before reserve days all came before the liner! Will have another experiment and see what I can get now...

Also when I really brim the tank and put bike on sidestand, fuel will come out the overflow.. is that normal or another side effect somehow? Don't remember it happening before but maybe I just never did it...
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 10:02 pm

ZekeVal wrote:
50.83 MPG sounds like US number.
Those Imperial units should be banned  geek
You're right!

The UK conversion/backport says 61.04 mpg. (click to convert)

The whole medieval measuring system using stone, feet and whathavewe belongs in the past. Standardization, please. There's nowt wrong with adhering to Systeme Internationale (SI) nomenclature. But try convincing the yanks and/or the brits...

Oh well.

95E10? - danish petrol stations don't offer the -E10 variant. Luckily. I've gotten the gist that it's no good for O-rings and such. Avoided the whole E-business when touring this summer. I prefer RON92 when available.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 11:08 pm

stormbringer wrote:

ZekeVal wrote:
50.83 MPG sounds like US number.
Those Imperial units should be banned  :geek:

The whole medieval measuring system using stone, feet and whathavewe belongs in the past. 

Absolutely.  When doing anything serious (like science or engineering or anything precision) everyone uses metric/SI units.  It's just easier - less stupid conversion factors and strange units of measurement.

Unfortunately in 'everyday' conversation the 'man in the street' still uses the medieval units, so most people who need to are vaguely able to convert between the two systems (especially for measures of length, volume and mass/weight) at will.

stormbringer wrote:
Standardization, please.

That's the American spelling of standardisation, English has less zeds  :)
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 11:15 pm

Isn't it due to the Americans owning most of the tyre companies that wheel sizes are in inches. But then the strangeness of having an inchy wheel with a metriccy section tyre upon it ! Even in the EU.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 7:53 am

Beresford wrote:Isn't it due to the Americans owning most of the tyre companies that wheel sizes are in inches. But then the strangeness of having an inchy wheel with a metriccy section tyre upon it ! Even in the EU.

Metzeler/pirelli German
continental German 
Michelin French
Bridgestone Japanese
Maxxis Taiwanese
Dunlop English

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 3:19 am