Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Fuel economy

Jameshambleton

Re: Fuel economy

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 08 Oct 2015, 7:08 pm

I'll have to check about the bung and the air filter is just out of the packet 200ish miles ago.
I'm going to be filling up tomorrow as I've since done 90miles since my first post so I'll see how much fuel I can get in and then I'll start working out my mpg on fuelly.
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Thu 08 Oct 2015, 8:37 pm

End of the first tank(it had some fuel already)got 185 before it started spluttering. It took 16.5 litres to fill up today: 51 MPG, bloody brilliant considering I've wrung the nuts off it ' to see what it can do, officer '.
This will be my first proper fill up so will report back when it's done. 
I always put shell v-wotsit in my car and today I put in esso 97 ron in the bike.  No idea if it will make a difference but we'll see. 
I'm really pleased as I've yet to service the bike and give it a good fettle, I've just crossed my fingers the last few rides and its been great.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 08 Oct 2015, 8:41 pm

My bike gets Tesco 95RON much cheapness. If it was sat about I'd probably cough up for the good stuff.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 10 Oct 2015, 6:20 pm

So I've just filled up and added it to fuelly and it says 53.1mpg so I think it's just getting use to been back in use again.
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 4:33 pm

I switch to reserve between 190 and 210. Get better economy with longer rides or warmer weather, and worse economy if I go really fast on the motorway.
Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 11:29 pm

According to https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-fuelconsumption-from-lper100km-to-mpgimperial.html, normal is 62 mpg. Best ever was 74.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 11:40 pm

The best I ever managed included a trip around the M25 at about 50mph. Managed about 250 miles on that tank.
 Needless to say I'd go bonkers if I drove that sedately every day but it's doable If you spend a long time at constant midrange revs.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 12:05 am

Thats some mileage to tank but whats the point at 50mph u may as well be in  a car. I trashed the nuts off mine once  and got about 150 miles to tank and that was motorway average 80 to100 mph plus( dont generally ride like that most of time)
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 12:22 am

Was with over 1000 other bikes at the time & the speed was low so the smaller engines could keep up.

I'm about 44 seconds in.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 12:29 am

Ah very good ashcroc,  huge turn out for it, say it was tiring riding at that speed.
Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 12:32 am

I just did for the fun. Besides, it wasn´t even that much different from normal ridding for that type of roads. National roads at around 60 mph. Just more easy on the overtakes, but besides it was just roll. I like it for the fun and to see it everything is working as it should.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 9:36 am

I usually have to switch to reserve at 190-210 miles and that's with mostly spirited riding but not much town work. Town work brings it down. 

The lowest I've ever got was 130 after a track day at Oulton Park...
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 10:08 am

wornsprokets wrote:Thats some mileage to tank but whats the point at 50mph u may as well be in  a car.

Honestly - if the weather's dry I *always* get more enjoyment out of riding a bike compared with driving a car. Even when I keep it legal, or perhaps even a bit south of legal. Bimbling is cool, on narrow country lanes with great scenery - or even through town and city. Making progress is splendid - but yeah, I can definitely hack a hack. Couple of my mates are seniors and maddeningly steady at times, but once I adjust to it and think yeah okay, so this is how we're riding, I'm good with that. Still loads better than a car. This is why I sometimes toy with the idea of getting a properly small bike - y'know, like a cb250rs. Or an RD250, whatever. I probably never will - but I get it. And I could enjoy it. Pootling can be cool.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 10:28 am

I prefer to ride a bike than a car every time,  but 50mph all time couldnt do it. In town filtering , heavy city traffic yes, but on a fairly empty road,  as fast as conditions allow
trophydave
Godly
Godly

Post by trophydave on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 3:30 pm

You can get used to travelling at 50mph.My commute is 25 miles of open roads,no town work,done just before the rush hour gets going.Unfortunately it is nearly all a 50mph limit with speed cameras all the way.The Tiger gives me high 50s mpg at these speeds and I will switch over to the CB500 very soon.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 8:28 pm

Its not that bad here yet we mainly have speed camera vans. And few speed traps with police. I remember seeing some where few years back  (a uk magazine saying in 10yrs big capacity bikes wil be finished on uk roads) if that happens it be a sad day. Ive no problem with speeding fines but they should have to justify where money goes. (Saying that if you get done for couple miles overspeed limit its a joke) if your way over limit!you get what u get. Ive been lucky so far Shocked
freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by freeride on Mon 19 Oct 2015, 11:29 pm

I forgot to turn the fuel tap to main when I filled up and then had to call my daughter to bring a can of petrol! Never lived that one down.  Now I reset the odometer(or whatever it is called) every time and it goes onto reserve about 175 miles.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 19 Oct 2015, 11:59 pm

freeride wrote:I forgot to turn the fuel tap to main when I filled up and then had to call my daughter to bring a can of petrol!

D'oh! You'll only do that the once! I've done it.... Once.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:53 pm

badseeds wrote:
freeride wrote:I forgot to turn the fuel tap to main when I filled up and then had to call my daughter to bring a can of petrol!

D'oh! You'll only do that the once! I've done it.... Once.
Done that once & also gone onto reserve & promptly forgotten about it. Embarassed Luckily both time I ran out of fuel within sight of a petrol station.

With my memory it'd probably be safer to carry a small can of fuel but I keep forgetting to get one.

Post by Guest on Wed 21 Oct 2015, 11:14 am

I always turn off the fuel tap when parked, if I don't forget.
Oh and Fuelly app is great!
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Wed 21 Oct 2015, 4:03 pm

Werner Van der Straten wrote:I always turn off the fuel tap when parked, if I don't forget.

If someone interfered with my fuel tap while I was parked, I'd probably end up calling the breakdown service before I figured it out!
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 21 Oct 2015, 4:13 pm

Chances are you'd be half way down the road wondering how you ran out of fuel so quickly before working it out.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 21 Oct 2015, 5:22 pm

If per-say you ended up traveling at about 80ish for a reasonable amount of time how much does that affect the economy?
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Wed 21 Oct 2015, 5:35 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:If per-say you ended up traveling at about 80ish for a reasonable amount of time how much does that affect the economy?

Mine goes on to reserve at around 185 miles at a constant 80ish mph.

Post by Guest on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 6:01 am

@Celt500 wrote:If someone interfered with my fuel tap while I was parked, I'd probably end up calling the breakdown service before I figured it out!

It's part of the FINE-C routine from the MSF course, now part of my routine.
Fuel tap ON
Ignition key ON
Neutral check
Engine cut-off switch ON
Clutch if needed

and in the reverse order when parking...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:05 am