Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Ever snapped a throttle cable?

Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Ever snapped a throttle cable?

Post by Celt500 on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 5:35 pm

Just wondering if I'm being a bit paranoid wanting to replace them.
Throttle seems a little bit 'snatchy' recently so at the very least they need lubing anyway.

I take it that it's the 'A' pull cable that can snap and dump you at the side of the road and the 'B' cable is a bit redundant?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Ever snapped a throttle cable?

Post by ashcroc on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 5:39 pm

I haven't snapped a throttle cable but like all cables they can go. Mine need doing as soon as I get a moment as the outers are worn.

The 'B' cable isn't redundant, it just helps the throttle back to the off position when you let go of the grip.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 6:07 pm

I've never actually snapped one but I've had one suddenly feel weird and have more freeplay than it should, and sure enough it was on the verge of snapping. Luckily I was carrying a spare. 

They last a while though. Looking through my (fastidious) service records from my now retired last CB, I replaced the cable for good measure at 55,000 miles and when I retired the bike at 145,000 miles it was still on that cable. 
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 11:05 pm

@ashcroc wrote:I haven't snapped a throttle cable but like all cables they can go. Mine need doing as soon as I get a moment as the outers are worn.

The 'B' cable isn't redundant,  it just helps the throttle back to the off position when you let go of the grip.

I just meant redundant in the sense that if the B cable snapped, the spring in the carb would still close the butterfly or whatever it's called.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 7:34 am

I haven't had a throttle cable go but I've had two clutch cables go, on different CB500s. One at iirc about 20k, and another on the other bike at 35k.

Last time I fitted a (OEM) clutch cable I oiled it, oiled it again, then oiled it some more prior to fitting. I didn't use any fandango cable lubricating devices because it's actually quite easy to dribble oil down the inside of the cable using a bog standard squirt can. True, you can't get a hell of a lot down in one go, but you can get a some in - and you just do that a fair few times over the course of a day and it's done.

There are of course oilers like this as well:

jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 11:34 am

Without wanting to muddy the waters here, over time I've actually concluded that for new, OEM cables the best longevity is achieved by not lubing them at all. I think oil (as recommended in the manual) doesn't do any actual harm, but aerosol lubes can possibly interfere with the nylon (or whatever it is) lining that the cable outer has. But oil, I've found, allows dirt to gather on the exposed bits of cable (in the case of the clutch at least) which seems to hasten the cable's demise. It's slightly off-topic of me to start talking about clutch cables, but I used to get through a clutch cable every 7000 miles or so, which has increased to well over 10000 now that I've stopped oiling them. 

YMMV, but in the case of throttle cables they're almost fully protected from the elements and I think definitely shouldn't be oiled until they start exhibiting obvious stiffness, which is probably caused by a break somewhere in the outer cable that's allowed moisture in, in which case they really need replacing anyway. 
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 12:19 pm

Throttle cables rarely give up these days, to the extent that most dealers don't bother to stock them.
This I would put down to CV carbs, only opening the butterflies is a lot less stress on the cables than opening the whole slide assembly.
I agree with the 'B' cable being overkill, so I don't have one fitted.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 12:21 pm

Interesting...on the NSR250R I've just acquired I did wonder why the throttle action seemed a lot heavier than on the CB...now I know why.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 12:27 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:Without wanting to muddy the waters here, over time I've actually concluded that for new, OEM cables the best longevity is achieved by not lubing them at all. I think oil (as recommended in the manual) doesn't do any actual harm, but aerosol lubes can possibly interfere with the nylon (or whatever it is) lining that the cable outer has. But oil, I've found, allows dirt to gather on the exposed bits of cable (in the case of the clutch at least) which seems to hasten the cable's demise. It's slightly off-topic of me to start talking about clutch cables, but I used to get through a clutch cable every 7000 miles or so, which has increased to well over 10000 now that I've stopped oiling them. 

YMMV, but in the case of throttle cables they're almost fully protected from the elements and I think definitely shouldn't be oiled until they start exhibiting obvious stiffness, which is probably caused by a break somewhere in the outer cable that's allowed moisture in, in which case they really need replacing anyway. 
A PTFE(Teflon) or graphite lubricant would probably work best on cables as they both leave a dry surface that won't attract dirt whilst still doing the job.
Quite a few modern cables will already have one of these coatings negating the need for oiling the cable over its life.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 2:47 pm

I don't oil the throttle cable, but rather the linkage at the carbs. If neglected this tends to rust and would probably hasten the demise of a cable.
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 3:39 pm

Hmm... when I got the bike it had a 'cruise control' feature, where the throttle had a tendency to not return smoothly. Lubing the cables at the handlebar end fixed this.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 3:55 pm

Same with the NSR I've just got. I think if a bike hasn't been in regular use then this can happen and lubing of course is necessary. But I think if you fit new cables and use the bike at least once or twice a week then that's when it perhaps isn't necessary.
davebike500
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by davebike500 on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 10:58 am

Ah the old " Don't use ***** lub"  on cables old wife's tail !!

The plastics used in cable have been Lubricant proof certainly since the 1970's 

I lube thole cable with Wurth's 2040  a WD40 type lubercant and moisture dispersant
If I have either end apart I use read grease on all I can reach

I use a similar system on clutch cables

I carry emergency inner cable s and have repaired both throttle and clutch cables at times on the road side one one bike or another over the years
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 12:01 pm

Haha, in my case it's not so much 'don't use lube' as 'my cables seem to last longer without lube'.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 1:06 pm

I've had a throttle cable break and, yes, of course it was the 'A' (opening) cable which left me stranded at the side of the road. Had I had a cable repair kit and/or a spare I could have probably fixed it.

The carb end is slightly difficult - you have to take the tank off and get your hands in a small space and carefully waggle the end of the cable into position - it is do-able but can be a bit annoying.

Note: my cable broke when I tried to open up the throttle to overtake a lorry - luckily it broke at the beginning of the overtake where I could back out easily - had it broken halfway through then it might have been a different story!

When I replaced my cable it was obvious what had happened - the cable sleeve had worn in places, corroded and let water in - this was obvious from the rusty looking bits I could see under the tank when I inspected it. So if you are not sure whether to replace the cable then make sure you have a look at the whole length.

Also - the new cable made the bike feel a bit more nippy! I hadn't noticed how much effort I was putting into opening the throttle.

Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 7:46 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:
Note:  my cable broke when I tried to open up the throttle to overtake a lorry

affraid

Well, if I wasn't convinced earlier when I placed the order, I am now!
New Honda cable on the way along with some other bits. Small price to pay really for peas of mind.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 06 Oct 2015, 1:13 pm

@Celt500 wrote:
@eternally_troubled wrote:
Note:  my cable broke when I tried to open up the throttle to overtake a lorry

:affraid:

Well, if I wasn't convinced earlier when I placed the order, I am now!
New Honda cable on the way along with some other bits. Small price to pay really for peas of mind.

Unfortunately my peas of mind are mushy, so I didn't fix my cable until after I'd had the problem :)

Post by Guest on Thu 08 Oct 2015, 9:18 am

There's a spare new clutch and both reconditioned throttle cables in the bag.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:56 am