Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Getting My New CB500 On The Road

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Getting My New CB500 On The Road

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 9:59 am

@Anigai wrote:Here's a nice exhasut I've had my eye on for a while now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXvFEVQSCHQ

Nevermind Fuel and Beowolfs, this one comes from Spain.

Looks good. You'll need to brush up your t-shirt, shorts and trainers riding skills, as per the video.

I'm also guessing that your neighbourhood doesn't quite look like that :)
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 10:38 am

Not quite no.

T-shirt, shorts and trainers do have merit though. You can go a bit faster because you've shed that useless extra weight of the bike gear. You could chuck the helmet as well for more weight weenie savings but it's too bad it's the minimum legal requirement cheers

In all seriousness though.

I had wanted to get the new frame early in the morming, prep it and paint it the same day to have it ready for the following day.
2nd day I expected to have help from a much much much more experienced mate of mine but he let me down and could only help with dropping the engine out as he had other stuff to do so for the last 5 days not counting yesterday I've been working on it to try and get it together mostly alone and not doing the very best at slow going.

So yesterday i got really pissed off that I basically wasted my week off work working on something else struggling along because I was let down and just dropped everything i was doing and went for a 60 mile spin around the twisty backroads. I originally planned to go on another tour on the GN250 but figured I'd have this bike together quickly enough with the "help" I'd recieve.

Bikes still at home in a pile on the ground with only the engine and the swingarm on it which I hoped to have time to paint both but ditched the idea to try get the bike built alone.

Sorry for the slight vent here guys, the same mate is usually pretty reliable but this time around there was nothing that could be done.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 10:56 am

There are much worse places than here to vent your frustration!

I always find that if I take (say) a week off work to 'get something done' (be it motorcycle or DIY related) then I almost always fail to get it done, usually because something bad happens on day 1 or 2 and screws things up.

I console myself with the thought that I wouldn't have even got started on whatever it is if I hadn't taken the week off, let alone finished it.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 11:09 am

That's actually helped me feel a lot better reading that if I'm honest, cheers for that.

You're right, at least I'm well out of the limbo of should I cut my losses and sell the bike i spent €1500 on for €500 and buy another bike like a CB400 or should I buy the frame to paint and rebuild it.

65% of the work is done too and I guess now I don't really feel as bad about it.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 11:12 am

I half expect my mate to feel bad he wasn't able to help me and while I'm work during the week he might just continue alone.  It would be a funny feeling if I came home to find him thinking he had to make up for not being able to help and finding a completed CB500 just sitting there.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Restriction

Post by Anigai on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 12:13 pm

Ok guys it's been a long time coming but my CB500 is basically finished now with a nice new painted frame but despite my carefulness some bits have gone missing like mainly all the screws for the plastics which I expect to turn up eventually but the lack of the spring for the rear brake light switch is a little annoying.

I've decided to name it Frankenstein since it's basically a few differant types of CB500 chucked together not really making it any model letter like a Y, SY, T, V etc...

It has:
-italian disc rear brake and swingarm.
-S model engine.
-Completely different frame than I started out with made in Japan and is a 95 reg aka drum brake frame.
-S model clocks.
-Italian Brembo front end.
-Y model "CB500" stickers on it's side panels.
-Probably oter stuff I'm forgeting.

I stripped out one of the exhaust stud holes which was already a little damaged when I put the nuts onto the stainless steel studs I bought which basically pulled it straight out of it's hole but youtube came to the rescue and i learned that if I stick some long strands of copper over the hole and screw it in then the copper is soft enough to "fill in" the gaps left by the old threads which while a bit annoying to implement seems to be working fine although I didn't put the same level of torque into that stud just to be on the safe side.

My insurance company didn't even bother to ask for a restrictor cert from me since I need to bring the bike down to 47bhp which i though was abit weird. I 'm wondering if i even need to bother with it?

If the guards were to pull me they would probably only care if the bike is taxed and insured but since i drove the last CB500 which this engine came from with just insurance and while it was a write off even if I didn't know about it while I was trying to tax it I'm not as worried about it although I will be getting it done once I get a chance but they won't be staying in the bike.

Pics will be going up once it's 100% done but despite the fact I've spent about €2000 getting it on the road don't expect it to look like that, you'll know what I mean once you see the pics. I might actually make a video instead with fewer pics we'll see what happens.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:32 pm

we will look forward to the vid great stuff, I will also be posting a few photos of my bike as well as its just about finished too Smile
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 11:14 pm

Met up with wornsprokets today, my bikes a lot lower than his it nearly looked like he would have squashed it but don't tell him I said that. Either way he was fairly impressed with it but genuinely asked me if I knew how to check the oil level in the bike even after you know me building the entire thing onto a freshly painted frame....

100mph on the motorway no problem but started slowing a bit after that but i didn't want to push it too hard anyway so all in all it's doing decently except for the front sproket being so worn (yes pun intended there) that theres a slight click from it on engine braking of any amount, the tank still vibrates at a certain rpm (4k btw) despite a fix I tried earlier with a rubber band and the front tyre being a bit too old for it's own good. I'll try get a vid together tomorrowish
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:03 am

It was only out of concern as last thing u want is the engine to go pop Rolling Eyes. Just as well ive a fairly good condition  front sproket i let you have  for cheap.as for That front tyre....  Evil or Very Mad
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 8:11 am

@Anigai wrote:I've decided to name it Frankenstein...

Pics will be going up once it's 100% done but despite the fact I've spent about €2000 getting it on the road don't expect it to look like that...

Now, that's a great name Smile Chuckling here...

2000£ - right. May I offer some consolation telling you that I paid 2300£ for mine and considered that cheapish. Then had initial services and parts done to establish a sound base platform; approx 400£. Not much to do other than cough up and smile - that's the level around here.
OTOH I now possess a bike in known good condition.
So do you. Right?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:01 am

Great to hear you've finally taken it out for ride!

To be honest, I bet that quite a lot of our bikes are fraken-bikes, stitched together out of whatever is available - we just don't know because some previous owner has done it - if they've done it well enough you can't tell...

I bet that the level of tread on front tyre is the last of your concerns! Though I would add the buying tyres that weren't square and bald made my bike handle a lot better Wink
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:29 pm

Nice one, I know very well the frustration of one step forward and nine back. Each time I identify a new problem it seems to snowball and come with at least three or four other related issues. 

I remember reading online somewhere (Not here of course) about a CB owner being told not to bother farkling as 'It's only a cb500'. That bike snobbery still irritates me! I don't care if I spend more than the bike is worth ultimately by restoring my bike with new exhaust, discs, chain etc. If I'm happy with my bike at the end then it's all that matters.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 10:51 am