Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Getting My New CB500 On The Road

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Getting My New CB500 On The Road

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 8:09 pm

Should it not have hammer beside wd 40
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 9:44 pm

wornsprokets wrote:Should it not have hammer beside wd 40
That's for the Pro version - "Does it start and then stop for no obvious reason" - "Yes" - Ball Peen Hammer.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

We're Ready

Post by Anigai on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:04 am

After a long few months of many problems popping up and many issues being unexpected I'm finally finished.

Many hardships have been in this project but finally we've come to a point where my CB500 is now roadworthy again.

With a new BT45 on the rear she handles pretty good but I have to admit I'll miss being able to throw anound my GN250 since it weighed nothing.
Brand new Tec rear suspension really makes the rest of the bike look like a real POS with all it's tarnished exterior but she's mechanically sound and that's perfect for me.

I really could do with a new front disc, the one I have is is pretty bad condition since I've been braking with it. It has a pretty significant lip on it which makes taking off the calpier a nightmare but I've got a brand new one lined up on ebay for €85 and that should be just the ticket.

That front stanchion turned out to be another big issue, it was so badly corroded that it caused a lot of problems just changing out everything in the fork lower, since all the oil was lost or most of it all that was left in the leg was a oil/dirt concentrate which ate through and binded the press fit bushes.
To get them out me and a friend had to hammer on them with a hard chisel until we pushed through it.
Got out as much dirt as I could but I think the oil should be changed again after it's been through some more use.

Everything is new and being broken in so far so suspension is almost as solid as a brick but works pretty well regardless.
I'm still missing and engine bolt up front so I'll haveto pick that up.

When you start a project it's never really finished is it?
For example the coolant has 100% got to go but that's pretty normal stuff.

If th'eres interest and no rain later I'll post photos.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:51 pm

I have interest show pics =D
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:10 pm

Glad to hear you've got it going after all that.

We're always interested in pictures...
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:00 pm

I finished work late tonight so I'll throw up a couple but I'll take some good ones tomorrow morning before I head off, maybe a video if i can figure it out.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 6:38 pm

Tec shocks was a good move, theres an other cb 500 on adverts.ie it looks like an ex courier  joker lookin 1200, did u change the clocks ur man on adverts had one the guy that was breaking motorcross bikes.wardy or somthing like that. He takes long time to reply but i bought cheap parts of him for cb, radiator ect.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 10:26 pm

I have all the mounting points for a fairing............
That's worth a passing thought.

I'm looking forward to when everything is broken in, i heard that new shocks including Tec's need a good 500 or 600 miles to break in.
Bike rides like my wheels are filled with concrete.

And don't worry, I'll get around to those pictures probably tomorrow.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 9:04 pm

Anigai wrote:
I'm looking forward to when everything is broken in, i heard that new shocks including Tec's need a good 500 or 600 miles to break in.

That or your bottom takes 5 or 600 miles to break in! :)

Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 10:02 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:

Anigai wrote:

That or your bottom takes 5 or 600 miles to break in! Smile

You're probably right, I'm coming onto the CB500 from a 100% upright GN250 from 1993 and while the CB500 isn't the most powerful bike once I've it hits 8000 rpm it pulls reasonably hard if not completely mindblowing.

The slightly forward riding position is taking a little bit of getting used to.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 8:16 pm

Big thanks to everyone who helped me out and in particular jamesshambelton since he gave me a bundle of bits for a decent price.

Regulator rectifier was gone in the end which I guess i should have just accepted.

Bike holds 14.4v at 5000rpm with high beams on and the new one james provided looks to be from an old CBR600 possibly, all I care about is I'm yet again 1 more step to getting this thing finally ready excluding all the jip the taxman has caused me.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 10:33 pm

Anigai wrote:Big thanks to everyone who helped me out and in particular james hambleton since he gave me a bundle of bits for a decent price.

Regulator rectifier was gone in the end which I guess i should have just accepted.

Bike holds 14.4v at 5000rpm with high beams on and the new one james provided looks to be from an old CBR600 possibly, all I care about is I'm yet again 1 more step to getting this thing finally ready excluding all the jip the taxman has caused me.

I'm glad it's all got to you alright, when I last checked the tracking it had not updates on it! I hopes you uhh liked the packaging xD 

The electrical system is pretty much brand new and it was one of the last things that got replaced before the owner decided to sell the bike and get a bit of money back on it so it should last you a long while!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:35 pm

Anigai wrote:all I care about is I'm yet again 1 more step to getting this thing finally ready excluding all the jip the taxman has caused me.

Best of luck with that.

We're all still interested in seeing the final result...
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 1:23 pm

Post up some pic of your bike anigai, if ya can Smile
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:59 pm

They'll be going up tomorrow, I'd say it's been put off now for way too long guys Wink
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 7:24 am

Also a pic of your GN250! I do have a lot of affection for the GN's. I have never seen a 250 in real life though. Excellent stable mates!
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 1:11 pm

Looks like with 5 bikes in the garage moved to do some work on the 6th in the very back my CB is now surrounded and immobile.

I'll have to get the pics during the weekend.

Also as a condolence prize the 6 bikes are:
- My 2000 CB
- My 1993 GN
- 1993 Yamaha SR125 being restored.
- 1998 Yamaha FZS600 in need of carb sync before it's road ready again.
- 2007 Honda Lead 100.
- 1996 Suzuki Bandit modified into a chopper style which is currently stopping me taking my pics and is nowhere near finished.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 18 Mar 2016, 6:57 pm

Anigai wrote:Looks like with 5 bikes in the garage moved to do some work on the 6th in the very back my CB is now surrounded and immobile.

- My 2000 CB
- My 1993 GN
- 2007 Honda Lead 100.
- 1996 Suzuki Bandit modified into a chopper style which is currently stopping me taking my pics and is nowhere near finished.

Wow, that's a good selection.

You've just made yourself more work now: we want to see pictures of ALL OF THEM! :)
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sat 19 Mar 2016, 7:21 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:

Anigai wrote:Looks like with 5 bikes in the garage moved to do some work on the 6th in the very back my CB is now surrounded and immobile.

- My 2000 CB
- My 1993 GN
- 2007 Honda Lead 100.

Wow, that's a good selection.

You've just made yourself more work now:  we want to see pictures of ALL OF THEM! Smile

I expected somebody would say that.....

The CB and GN will be only ones i can move though but that's why a camera flash exists Very Happy

We'll see what to do tomorrow.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 19 Mar 2016, 7:39 pm

ah you can never have too many bikes Anigai Laughing
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Mon 21 Mar 2016, 8:04 pm

Oh crap i forgot to post the pics.

Give me a couple of minutes 'll put something up to sate yourselves for now until i get around to the others eventually
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Mon 21 Mar 2016, 8:16 pm

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Here's a few Ring Of Kerry trip pictures and a little something else at this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajGE9F8QfDA&feature=youtu.be

Some people would say block out the number plate but I don't think it's a huge deal.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Mon 21 Mar 2016, 8:16 pm

Dang, spoilers are an old habit I have to get out of.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 5:06 pm

This is it james, cheers.

Anyway here's a copy of what i said in a different thread.

I actually bought a 1995 frame from Cork and had it shipped next day delivery for only €10 which was a surprise, I wanted to get cracking as sson as I could.

Some gowl stripped the nut on the side stand which suits me because i got that for free since it was too hard to bother taking off to sell seprately.

As sson as i got it as 10am yesterday morning i set to work with the grinder, drill and dremel all with wire wheels of different types and whacked off all the little spots of rust i could find and a few big ones to be ready for painting.

When's the next time I'm going to have a completely bare frame in front of me?
May as well paint it so.

Honestly just picked up some automotive black whatever decent looking branded paint I came across alongside a can of VHT silver for the engine when it's out of the other frame.

Again whens the next time I'm going to have a completely bare engine in front of me?
May as well paint that too.

I spent most of yesterday from 10am prepping for painting and less than about 2 hours doing the deed. No primer used as nothing beats original paint as a primer not counting powdercoat which is the best primer I've ever seen. Just some elbow grease and enough wire wool to scuff up whats there to help the paint adhere and you're good after the final cleaning.

Finished off the frame painting last night when it was getting dark, for the swingarm I'll be leaving it because it's a doddle to take out compared to just dong the frame and opted for an extra coat of paint on the frame and I'll do the swingarm when it's bushes need doing.

In total I managed 5 moderately thick coats on frame frame which honestly look good for the most part if you excuse any small dips where the rust got to before.

Tomorrow I'll be starting early and rebuilding the whole thing with a little help from a mate of mine not to mention engine painting and soaking everything in ACF 50 while it all goes back onto the new frame.

I'll keep you guys updated.

I had a lot to do today so i didn't get a chance to get started on the bike but right now I'm about to go out and drain the coolant as well as get a workspace ready on the bench which I'm going to clear off completely so it will only have CB500 parts on it so anything that goes onto the bench will go back into the bike.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 8:02 pm

Here's a nice exhasut I've had my eye on for a while now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXvFEVQSCHQ

Nevermind Fuel and Beowolfs, this one comes from Spain.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 5:52 am