Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Getting My New CB500 On The Road

Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Re: Getting My New CB500 On The Road

Post by Anigai on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 1:21 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:I'm guessing you've had a look at the Haynes manual, page 4.4 and 4.5?

I even printed them off to keep beside the bike too.

I sprayed a liberal amount of WD in there earlier so hopefully that will loosen them up that little bit, failing that it's hairdryer time.

I'm glad I took a week off work to get this thing sorted out, plenty of time to do what needs to be done.
I just wish the postal strike came next week because it means I'm missing parts.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Update - Money In The Bank And Parts In The Post

Post by Anigai on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 9:36 pm

Ok guys, monthly wages have their ups and downs but fortunately one of the ups is that for 1 day I don't really have to worry about having money and getting my bike on the road becomes even more important on those days.

I either have or have ordered almost everything I need to get on the road at this stage including:
-Air filter.
-2 new throttle cables as the old ones are shot.
-New clutch cable since it's nearing the end of it's life.
-Headlight bulb.
-Spark plugs (because why not)
-Oil and filter (already done a couple of weeks ago.)
-Fork parts including fork oil, oil seals, dust seals and 4 brand new OEM fork bushes.
-New front wheel bearings (2 new spares because I accidentally ordered 4.)
-Front Brake pads
-All new Bridgestone BT45 for the rear.

-Brand new rear shocks.
In the end I decided on custom length shocks from George at TecBikeParts.
I've read a lot about them and basically summed it up as "a lot of shock for your money" and that settled it.
I contacted him and he said they usually supply 350mm shocks for the CB500 but can make them as low as 320mm.
Me being challenged heightwise at only 5'7 opted for the shortest 320mm option.
Current shocks are stock MY5-G31 Showa's at 345mm and they're way too high for me plus they're shot so they had to go.

Basically what's left for me now is:
-New stanchion or rechrome the old one.
-New battery.
-Tax and insurance.
-Get her restricted unless i can get away without it :wink:
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 10:13 pm

Cityspares have broken a cb 500 in last few weeks maybe they have a second had stancion give them a ring. As i got exhaust gaskets for my cb there, they said that one was broke in last while
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 2:12 pm

They must have gotten a 2nd one in because they had a fork leg for me last month but funds wouldn't allow that one.

I'm definitely going to give them a call now tomorrow morning.

Once i've got that then it's just a battery I'll need then she'll be more or less 100% restored once the work is done of course.

Cheers for that wornsprockets.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 3:52 pm

There not open mondays, like most bike shops,  yeah best give them a call first. There good lads , for battery go to battery world , i would check your regulator rectifier and starter relay for corrosion. As my regulator rectifier damaged my nearly new battery it didnt last year and it was a yuasa. It did same in my fireblade and killed bosch battery
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 5:22 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:There not open mondays, like most bike shops,  yeah best give them a call first. There good lads , for battery go to battery world , i would check your regulator rectifier and starter relay for corrosion. As my regulator rectifier damaged my nearly new battery it didnt last year and it was a yuasa. It did same in my fireblade and killed bosch battery

Good points, Tuesday morning it is and I should probably look into the electrical system more while I'm at it. I don't really want to go back in there in future if I can catch things like that before they become problems.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 5:28 pm

Take off regulator rectifier, if u have an electrical multimeter u can test it with that, have look on you tube it show you how to test it.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 10:13 pm

Glad to hear you've nearly got it on the road.

You'll have to post some pictures of your newly 'restored' bike...
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 10:31 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Take off regulator rectifier, if u have an electrical multimeter u can test it with that, have look on you tube it show you how to test it.

It seems easy enough to test even for an electrical system bonehead like me, I've always had a problem with electrics.
One video recommended testing the stator if you discover a dodgy regulator rectifier so I better start praying.

You've been a great help wornsprokets, even if you're just adding to the workload in the end it will pay off if I end up saying "oh wow it's actually a good thing I checked that or I'd be in trouble".
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 10:57 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:Glad to hear you've nearly got it on the road.

You'll have to post some pictures of your newly 'restored' bike...

It's a ways off that as it is, I'm going to try and make it a running project that I'll work on gradually. That engine is even going to be getting repainted because anything even cheap silver BBQ paint would be a huge improvement over what it looks like now but I'll likely end up throwing some black accents in there too.

Totally new paint job is going to be top of the list, I really don't like the idea of the stock gold wheels so I'd better decide on a final color alongside many other things.
That clutch basket rattle while harmless has gotta go, I used Google Translate on the German CB500 website and learned a few fixes that might help.

The current clocks were hacksawed out of a CB500 fairing for some reason, probably because they were cheaper than the naked clocks or the fairing was smashed and this was the cheapest courier solution to the issue.
Proper new naked CB500 clocks are gonna be going on there at some stage.

I have 2 questions:
-Do i have to pick up the little attachment for syncing the carbs, if so where can I find it?
-Whats the best set of after market handlebars for filtering?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:00 pm

Ah no problem,  electrics can be pain in hole ,and i am an electrician! ( well before recesssion) But not an auto electrician, "if u cant help dont hinder" that my moto. I was pretty angry i had to shell out for two regulators and two batterys in space of year (two bikes),  ive also had a fair few bikes over years  and electric problems were common in a lot of them and  previous dumb ass owners messing with them doing  bodges. affraid
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:12 pm

im not impressed with bodge jobs if you can only bodge the thing let somebody else do it Neutral
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:17 pm

IMO bodge jobs are only worth it to get you home and then only without lasting damage being a potential issue.

I obviously prefer repair over replace but it has to be done right.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:18 pm

I might have a number of a guy with clocks off a cb 500 v(naked one) same as mine  (he didnt have forks),  u have to remember cb never be worth a huge amount of money so u have to keep your budget in check, my advice get bike running and safe to ride deal with cosmetics later,   mechanical first , cosmetics later, enjoy  riding bike first
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:31 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Ah no problem,  electrics can be pain in hole ,and i am an electrician! ( well before recesssion) But not an auto electrician, "if u cant help dont hinder" that my moto. I was pretty angry i had to shell out for two regulators and two batterys in space of year (two bikes),  ive also had a fair few bikes over years  and electric problems were common in a lot of them and  previous dumb ass owners messing with them doing  bodges. affraid

A lot of the problems with the generator and rectifier circuits on bikes fitted with 3 phase alternators are now cured by using series type regulator rectifiers instead of the older (cheaper) shunt type. This mod which lowers the load and operating temperature of the stator windings, is very popular with the Harley and Triumph enthusiasts.
Suzuki have been in the forefront of introducing their use in their new ranges.
The problem of course is that they aren't cheap and get even more expensive if the engine can rev over 10,000rpm as a lot of modern sports bikes can.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:37 pm

Exactly the aim, I probably should have mentioned that the cosmetic stuff was something i was thinking about starting on sometime around next year anyway.

When this bike is running and going no problem I'll be on it for a fair few years, I've no interest in your 1000cc shiny R1's worth 15 grand which I personally think is a horrible waste to be driving on the public roads anyway. I'm always hearing stories about people driving them lightly then having problems down the line because that's not what they're designed for.

I want a reliable bike that's got more than enough power if you have to use it and can hop onto motorways for long distance journeys in excess of 150 miles each way with minimal complaint. It doesn't have to beat Ducati speed freaks from the traffic lights but I still still wanna laugh at them when i drive past them broken down in a hard shoulder

I might also look into one of those high quality regulator rectifiers Beresford if it comes to it but prices might have more sway with me at the time.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:49 pm

I think the CB500 system seems to be quite sturdy and doesn't often give problems so the normal reg/rec at about £20 is probably the way to go.

The cheapest series reg/rec I know of is fitted to those Polaris Ranger buggy things that some farmers use and they are nearly £90 plus another tenner or so for the matching plug connectors.

Worth thinking about if you have a bike where the cost of replacing the whole shebang ( stator, reg/rec and battery ) is going to be expensive in the event of a failure.
A lot of the circuitry issues can be avoided if all electrical connections are kept clean and corrosion free.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:17 am

@Beresford wrote:A lot of the circuitry issues can be avoided if all electrical connections are kept clean and corrosion free.

I'm currently driving an old 93' Suzuki GN250 so multiply that advice by 10 for that lol.

In the space of a few months (I really do a lot of miles in fairness) I've had to either repair or replace a few things including the front brake light switch, rear brake light switch and use superglue to fix the indicator switch which I'm lucky I found or it would have been lost to the roads of Dublin.

It also noticeably doesn't like running with the lights switched on, this could be unrelated but it's conked out twice on me while moving with the clutch in at times. I'm more convinced it's to blame on the air filter over an electrical bugbear.

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 7:51 am

I got a electrix regulator rectifier (fireblade)from west coastwindings it wasnt cheap it was about 120 euro, other one for cb is a tourmax it was 120 out of cityspares, salty prices but i am going keep these bikes. U can fit other ones from yamaha or suzuki means cutting and soldering on connections

Last edited by wornsprokets on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 7:52 am

@wornsprokets wrote:I got a electrix regulator rectifier (fireblade)from west countywindings it wasnt cheap it was about 120 euro, other one for cb is a tourmax it was 120 out of cityspares, salty prices but i am going keep these bikes. U can fit other ones from yamaha or suzuki means cutting and soldering on connections
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 10:35 am

@skyrider wrote:im not impressed with bodge jobs if you can only bodge the thing let somebody else do it Neutral

as someone once said to me there is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution Smile
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 1:33 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:

@skyrider wrote:im not impressed with bodge jobs if you can only bodge the thing let somebody else do it :|

as someone once said to me there is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution :)

Yeah, I'd second that (being a seasoned bodger!).

The key point is knowing which bodges are real bodges (which need to be removed ASAP) and which bodges just look bad but will keep going fine for donkeys years.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 2:04 pm

If in doubt....

Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 7:32 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:If in doubt....

I need to get me one of those.