Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Getting My New CB500 On The Road

Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Getting My New CB500 On The Road

Post by Anigai on Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:06 pm

So guys I'm a new guy to the forum. This year 2000 CB is my first big bike and I've already fallen in love with it and it's imperfections.

The rust and corrosion, the probably excessive rattle of the clutch basket I've heard CB's tend to have that still sounds like somethings wrong and even the possible sound of the cam chain whacking the casing when I rev the thing is something I could do without but I love it nonetheless.

I decided that I couldn't do without the GN250 I'm driving now and haven't sold it but instead decided to pick up a bike needing some love but had a good engine and since finding a CB with a bad engine is about as likely as catching a hammerhead shark in a puddle.

It needs a few bits and bobs but I'm hoping to be moving by the end of next week.

Among them are:
-New or used stanchion.
-Fork seals and bushes.
-Mirrors.
-Oil and maybe a filter.
-Brake pads (since the busted fork has been leaking all over my caliper i don't trust them.)

I'm looking forward to posting it all here and eventually I'll get around to a nice custom paint job I thought of and maybe rebuilding the engine for the fun of it too.

Here's some pictures of the bike as it stands:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

skyrider
the 900
the 900

Re: Getting My New CB500 On The Road

Post by skyrider on Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:25 pm

overall Anigai the bike isn't looking too bad, a decent service and a bit of a touch up with some paint and it shouldn't be to far off
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:27 pm

Looks like a good starting point. From the clocks I'm guessing it's a converted S model?

I'd definitely put a new filter on when changing the oil (I use a k&n for the ease of removal with its 17mm nut on the end).

Just to add to your 'to do' list, an aftermarket exhaust will not only change the look but the feel of the bike too.

Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:46 pm

All good advice, after buying the bike money is a little bit tighter now. I'm thinking a new filter and oil again after between 1000 or 1500 miles will do for now then the usual interval after that.

I was thinking of getting a full stainless steel exhaust system front to back when the time comes too.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 01 Oct 2015, 10:03 pm

For service parts for cb, motorcycleshop.ie there very good and quick and free delivery couldnt recommend them enough. I got oil, oilfilter air filter and front brake pads off them. Good oil from them is cheaper than halfrauds alone Smile, unless its completely rotten , lads recommend fuel exhaust can, if ur downpipes are ok and u get club discount. Ive standard exhaust and down pipes on my 97 cb but mine has 34k seems to be genuine.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Thu 01 Oct 2015, 10:28 pm

wornsprokets wrote:For service parts for cb, motorcycleshop.ie there very good and quick and free delivery couldnt recommend them enough. I got oil, oilfilter air filter and front brake pads off them. Good oil from them is cheaper than halfrauds alone Smile, unless its completely rotten , lads recommend fuel exhaust can, if ur downpipes are ok and u get club discount. Ive standard exhaust and down pipes on my 97 cb but mine has 34k seems to be genuine.

I just picked up the oil and filter from them there. Brake pads are next followed by stanchion hopefully.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

A Not So Great Update

Post by Anigai on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 5:16 pm

Oil change completed today and in my ministrations I've discovered that my battery may be finito.

Not only that but a new air filter is on the list because well........ there wasn't any, lord knows how long this poor little puppy has been plodding along without that essential gasmask all bikes need.
I can only guess a previous owner (likely the same guy who was driving around on busted seals and front wheel bearings) must have decided that a new air filter wasn't worth the money and just chucked the old clogged one away.

So complete 1 task and add another 2 to do, let's hope this bike doesn't become a never ending cycle like that because I'll be a long time going.

I don't have a battery charger to charge the battery and I have a little niggling feeling that there might be a problem with the charging system but I can't be sure of that until everything else is sorted and i can take her for a good long test ride to see just how well the battery will hold a charge and if I can get away with not picking up a new one.

So far the list now stands at:

A fair bit left to do since I intend to really do as much of this list as I possibly can cover.
Some things like the battery and rebuilding the carbs isn't included but tomorrow the carbs are coming out and they are coming apart for everything to be inspected and cleaned, replaced if nesscesary. No chances to take for a bike that ran for God knows how long with an air filter.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 5:28 pm

I got a dirt cheap optimate type small trickle charger from halfords which serves it's purpose well. It even came with a 'pony tail' lead so I could hook it up quickly if I had a man cave with electrics. As it is I'm restricted to removing the battery & hooking up with the Croc clips indoors.

While I've seen no air filter before it thankfully isn't anywhere near as common as one that's been left far too long. You'll probably find the sub air filter missing too but those tend to disintegrate over time & dissappear of their own accord.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 5:30 pm

when you take the carbs off take photos of the internals then you know how to reassemble
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 5:55 pm

Taking photos is a good idea, I'll need to pick up some carb cleaner too because i only have brake cleaner on hand at the moment.

As for the sub air cleaner i really can't understand it's purpose, why not just have 1 air filter and call it quits?

If it is gone, I supposed any old foam type substance cut to size will do the trick as a replacement?
For example, a brand new sponge from the kitchen?
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 5:58 pm

the foam that goes in is usually thin stuff, I used to have a vfr 400 and I bought a new sub filter but looking back I  might as well have made one
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 6:03 pm

Sounds to me the bit of foam is really only there to prevent large particles like sand getting in.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 6:14 pm

yes I don't really know what it is for especially when there is a main filter but I would cut some foam to size and pop it in it must be there for some purpose
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 7:10 pm

If your battery is gone( battery world) also regulator (i got a tourmax from cityspares120 euro), u can get cheap ones but they dont last  are problamatic in all 90s and00s hondas both went and damaged batterys
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:28 pm

I probably will invest in a decent battery but for now I'll milk this one until it's completely dead.

It's a good investment but it's still pretty expensive, I'd like to go down the gel battery route if funds permit.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:50 pm

Ah yeah just check connections to regulator rectifier and starter  relay(i had bad corrosion). How much did u pay for cb in end. I bought mine in march a 97 model with 34k it clean paid 750 euro it was bargain. but ive had problems radiator was leaking, shocks were leaking,  regulator rectifier packed up( also packed up on my fireblade same part) one fork seals weeps now and then i change it when it becomes a problem. Mine was left up for years. I do all my own work so only cost of parts. ( i was doing 600miles a week when these problems started) Rolling Eyes
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Tue 06 Oct 2015, 12:41 am

The bike was €750 delivered with 74l on the maybe original clocks which are actually from an S model, they look like the fairing came off with a hacksaw.

The current parts bill rounded off including shipping is €151 and it includes:
-Oil and filter.
-Air filter.
-Fork oil, bushes and seals.
-Brake pads.

Since I'm now tapped for funds the GN250 is gonna hang around until this months payday on the 30th.

I still need:
-A stanchion or a right side full fork leg.
-Road tax.
-Maybe extra money for insurance unless i can swing it with them to take it month by month.
-A restrictor kit and cert but I'm going to see if I can get one made up on the sly since I'm just going to take out the restrictors anyway when i get the bike home.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 06 Oct 2015, 1:25 pm

Maybe u could pick up a second hand restrictor kit on ebay. My fireblade had two restrictions in carbs, 4 washers and 4 other type washers about 25mm thick. Why u put a restrictor in fireblade beyond me. I also have cert saying with restrictor it only do 98 mph, 33kw , so my fireblade had an easy life from new
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Tue 06 Oct 2015, 2:53 pm

I'll only buy the restrictor kit if I have to, if a shop is willing to just sign the paper saying that the bike is restricted then that's good enough for me and fortunately my insurance company too.

At the moment I'm having a bit of trouble taking the carbs out, they are so grimy and dirty that finding everything is a real pain. This bike's really had a hard life alright.

Not to mention the bodge jobs all over the place. The choke cable's return spring is actually just cable tied to the frame and attached to the cable end.

Just printed off a few page of the manual, hopefully they'll help guide me in the right direction.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Tue 06 Oct 2015, 4:28 pm

I thought I heard somewhere CB's were easy to work on? Just getting the carbs out is giving me a hard time.

I think I'm at the stage where I'll have to ask a friend of mine to help me out of this hole, i just can't seem to pry the carbs free.

1st time for me as well which doesn't help much.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 06 Oct 2015, 6:48 pm

Yeah carbs in general are hard toget off, as carb rubbers get hard with age. Be persistant keep rocking them back and forth, but be careful not to damage carb rubbers. I was luck with my cb it wasnt messed with mechanically but cosmetically it was  stuff painted on bike in position. Be patiently doing stuff or you can break stuff and make it worse
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Tue 06 Oct 2015, 8:36 pm

In that case I think patience shall have to prevail here. I can't get them out of the inlet stubs.

I just spent the last 20 minutes working them loose or so I thought, right in the dead center between the inlet stubs up and closest to the top of the float bowls there is a hose that looks jointly connected to the carbs with a little section where 2 hoses join together. I don;t know if i should remove it or not since I think it's related to the cooling system but the service manual says the only hose for the cooling system on the carbs is the carb heater hose and I've already removed that.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 06 Oct 2015, 8:53 pm

wornsprokets wrote:Yeah carbs in general are hard toget off, as carb rubbers get hard with age. Be persistant keep rocking them back and forth, but be careful not to damage carb rubbers. I was luck with my cb it wasnt messed with mechanically but cosmetically it was  stuff painted on bike in position. Be patiently doing stuff or you can break stuff and make it worse

you could try a hairdryer on the rubbers and get them nice and warm
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Tue 06 Oct 2015, 10:18 pm

Hair dryer, 1st thing tomorrow morning I'm taking your advice.

Thanks skyrider, I'll let you know how it goes.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 12:44 pm

I'm guessing you've had a look at the Haynes manual, page 4.4 and 4.5?

From what I remember the bit where you have to push the airbox backwards a bit is quite important, but it was still a struggle when I took mine apart.

If you have access to some GT85 or WD40 it might be worth spraying a little around the inlet rubbers (do it before you heat them up with the hair dryer) to try and lubricate the process.

Anyway, good luck! The CB500 is normally easy to work on, it's just this kind of thing is hard on all bikes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:41 pm