Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Spotlights? Can the alternator take it?

Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Spotlights? Can the alternator take it?

Post by Celt500 on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:03 pm

What is the output of the CB500 alternator?

I can't find it anywhere, all it says in the Haynes is 14 to 15.5V @ 5000rpm and I think I need to know Amps and/or Watts to work out the bikes charging capacity?

scratch Bloody elektrickery! study

I was wondering about adding spotlights as I find the stock S model headlight pretty crap on unlit country roads. Both the standard heavy-duty Osram bulb and the Philips CityVision bulb I have in it now (great to be seen, just average for seeing with). I'll try a NightBreaker / NightRacer or whatever it's called next but I'm still thinking of adding spots.

Either some 18W CREE LED ones I was looking at on ebay or some standard 55W H3 ones are super-cheap. I already have heated grips though and I'm also going to add a 12V/USB socket to charge my phone so I don't want the system to fall over under the strain.
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Re: Spotlights? Can the alternator take it?

Post by mcalvert39 on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:38 pm

Ive been thinking exactly the same thing. I seem to have a problem with my electrics recently, when I throttle on the lights go dim, when I throttle off they go bright. Im putting it down to the alternator and was thinking if another model Honda has a higher power one which might fit.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 9:32 pm

There is a higher power alternator from another Honda that'll fit along with a higher capacity battery. It's on the forum somewhere but can't fot the life of me remember who did it.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 8:42 am

After much googleing and things I believe it's a RVF400R stator/alternator that is a replacement for it how ever I'm not sure, maybe the battery was a Motobatt CTX9-BS?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 1:46 pm

If you look here:

http://www.cb500club.net/t3130-charging-battery

Dave has detailed some of the things he has done, including a bigger alternator, bigger battery and better regulator rectifier.

So if you find that your alternator isn't up to it then there is an answer.

If I were you would get the LED lights - they draw less power and are less likely to stress the system.

If you are concerned then you can do a quick voltage test - assuming your battery is relatively well charged, start the bike up and run it for a few minutes, then:

1. Meausre the battery voltage when it is idling.

2. Switch on all the electrical loads (headlights, spotlight, heated grips etc) and measure the voltage again.

3. Leaving all the electrical load switch on rev the bike to (say) 4000 to 5000 revs and measure the voltage again.

If you can get to 14.5 volts at 4/5000 rpm with all the loads switched on then you should be fine, assuming you don't spend too much time idling.

From my experience the CB500 charging system isn't really up to heated grips when idling/moving slowly, so I suspect that *even more* load won't do it any good!

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 4:39 pm

Here is mentioned 25A @ 14V or about 350W max!

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RPK-1550_Honda_CB500_CB550_-_Alternator_System.html

CBR500: Alternator is 500W/5000rpm per the Honda Service Manual

More good reading here:

http://www.powerlet.com/learningCenter/excessCapacity
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 6:47 pm

I run heated grips, a heated jacket and lights are always on.
To make sure the alternator and battery were up to it I fitted a new alternator from electrex which was 24mm wide compared to the 15mm standard one.(Fireblade/super blackbird) It needs longer bolts to hold it in place but otherwise works perfectly.
At idle it gives out a healthy 14.5v with just lights, and the voltmeter I fitted to monitor it all shows 14.4v @3k with everything switched on.
The regulator is a standard one and works fine, I have put an extra earth wire on it though.
The battery is a YTZ14S (pan euro) It is slightly larger than the standard one, so the cover had to go but well worth the slight sacrifice Very Happy
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 9:44 pm

CREE ones seem to be a no-brainer as they're cheaper than I thought. I found my bike ran fine with heated grips and dipped beam on pretty much all the time last winter. 
I didn't want to do major electric surgery so I may just chance it and see how I get on.

These were the ones I was looking at: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H40ZZZE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_5&smid=A13P26ZFOQI69

Or this floodlight bar: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EUVFSOS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_4&smid=A13P26ZFOQI69

Maybe one spot and one flood, I don't really know which I need. Basically dipped and full beam are both crap. A floodlight is more like dipped beam but pointed down a bit, right?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 10:04 pm

Check the dimensions before buying as those 2 options are huge.

Looking at LED, this one or this one would fit better especially if you have engine bars to mount them to.
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 11:36 am

@ashcroc wrote:Check the dimensions before buying as those 2 options are huge.

Looking at LED, this one or this one would fit better especially if you have engine bars to mount them to.

I was looking at those types but the strobe mode worried me. Could be a bit distracting accidentally cycling it to strobe and also could easily attract unwanted attention from the cops! Evil or Very Mad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 7:11 pm