You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Got my CB500S today

Share
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Got my CB500S today

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sat 26 Sep 2015, 11:48 pm

Hi all, I brought my eBay purchase home this afternoon. Some background:
I finally got around to getting my bike licence two years ago at 39. Don't know why it took me so long but better late than never. My first bike which I sold the other week was a Yamaha ttr250. It couldn't be more different from the Honda. I should have got a CB when I passed but there were none about and the TTR turned up. It was a great wee bike, really reliable, good economy and a nice looking bike too. It had to go though as I didn't feel safe on it as it was too light and was blown about much too easily. I was wringing its nuts to get over 65mph. It ended up sitting in the garage and I knew I needed a new bike. 
I bought my CB500S on eBay a few days back and collected it today. I got it for a bag of sand. The photos on eBay done it many favours as can often be the case but I took a punt and here I am. I think I overpayed as the bike really needs taken in hand. It has a scotoiler that appears to have been put on by an infant. Theres is oil everywhere. The bike stinks when you stop. The exhaust and a few other things have been painted with what looks like BBQ paint. The temp gauge needle doesn't move up at all: I take it it should go approx. Half way? Theres plenty of rust all over, 29k on the clock. Not too bad at all. But for all that I effing love it. I rode further than I have ever and I only went 95 miles. I was so nervous at first and had to ride through Fife and over Forth road bridge, heavy traffic, a women trying to kill me by changing lanes on the motorway without looking and just riding a new and very different bike to the one I'm used to. I settled down after a few miles and began to really enjoy myself. I've never seen 70+ on a bike! Nearly had a nose bleed. It was good to flatfoot it at lights and the fairing was good. The owner said a light comes on to let you know its low/going onto reserve. Hmm.. He only rode the bike 100 miles in his ownership, so is that right? When I got home I waited until darkness fell and went back out to check out the lights. My commute to work is through deer-infested A-road countryside. I was pleasantly surprised. Again, compared to the 250 the light were good. High beam is a bit odd though. It appears to throw a lot if shadows is the best I can describe it. Good light though. Nice and wide the beam as the deer lurk roadside. I would like to put on spotlights, has anyone here done that? The bike came with two keys, topbox, rack, toolkit and service and owners manual. It seems to be the norm these days for the original equipment to find its way on eBay. That winds me up. OK, that'll do for now, long post but just wanted to say hi and I'll be needing a lot of help getting this thing cleaned up and looking the way it should. Can't see how to add pics here only on my avatar. I'll try and out some photos up. Thanks, Dave.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Posts : 2200
Location : Gatwick

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by sullivj on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:08 am

Nice looking bike wizard - glad you're loving it.

The temp gauge takes AGES to climb. On Tickover, it's about 20 mins to get to half way before the fan cuts in.

There is no petrol light - it just runs out and you need to switch it to reserve.

I'm sure you'll have fun tinkering with her and I know you'll find lots of help on here.  Get yourself one of JerryFudds stickers and help support the forum.

Welcome!
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2788
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 8:15 am

Welcome to the forum, most of the things you've said can be pretty common. You can adjust the scottoiler by twisting the twisty thing near the top of it where the number are do adjust the oil flow. My temp gauge hardly moves off the white area and then the fan cuts in although my other bike is goes all the way to the top of the gauge and the fan doesn't come on. 
We'd all love to see some pics! When you're posting if you look at the buttons above the area where you type there is one that shows the "youtube" icon click the one that is two buttons across to the left.
avatar
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1376
Location : dublin

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 9:58 am

Welcome to forum, those are fairly common problems with cb as james says. my cb was rattle can sprayed badly in parts handle bars; exhaust (non heat temp paint) some parts of frame, my temp gauge doesnt move much but it does work. The engine fast for what it is, remember it a two cylinder, enjoy the cb
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 11:04 am

@sullivj wrote:Nice looking bike wizard - glad you're loving it.

The temp gauge takes AGES to climb. On Tickover, it's about 20 mins to get to half way before the fan cuts in.

There is no petrol light - it just runs out and you need to switch it to reserve.

I'm sure you'll have fun tinkering with her and I know you'll find lots of help on here.  Get yourself one of JerryFudds stickers and help support the forum.

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome.

I rode the for about an hour and a half all in and the needle never moved at all. I'll need to have a look in the Haynes manual and see what's what. That will be my first task I think. I'll get the stickers but the bike will need to be degreased before it can go on that's for sure. I'm thinking about what to do with the scitoiler, I'm not sure whether to remove it or not. Theres no oil left in the reservoir and its all over the place at the rear of the bike. It seems like a good thing to have.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 4:07 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:Welcome to the forum, most of the things you've said can be pretty common. You can adjust the scottoiler by twisting the twisty thing near the top of it where the number are do adjust the oil flow. My temp gauge hardly moves off the white area and then the fan cuts in although my other bike is goes all the way to the top of the gauge and the fan doesn't come on. 
We'd all love to see some pics! When you're posting if you look at the buttons above the area where you type there is one that shows the "youtube" icon click the one that is two buttons across to the left.
Thanks. I was hoping it would be the type where it asks you to select photos from the folders in your phone. I haven't the faintest idea what address to copy/paste. I've got my photos on my phone is it possible to upload from my gallery (android)?
avatar
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!
Posts : 1505
Location : London

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by ashcroc on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 9:13 pm

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:

@sullivj wrote:Nice looking bike wizard - glad you're loving it.

The temp gauge takes AGES to climb. On Tickover, it's about 20 mins to get to half way before the fan cuts in.

There is no petrol light - it just runs out and you need to switch it to reserve.

I'm sure you'll have fun tinkering with her and I know you'll find lots of help on here.  Get yourself one of JerryFudds stickers and help support the forum.

Welcome!



Thanks for the welcome.

I rode the for about an hour and a half all in and the needle never moved at all. I'll need to have a look in the Haynes manual and see what's what. That will be my first task I think. I'll get the stickers but the bike will need to be degreased before it can go on that's for sure. I'm thinking about what to do with the scitoiler, I'm not sure whether to remove it or not. Theres no oil left in the reservoir and its all over the place at the rear of the bike. It seems like a good thing to have.

Welcome,
The temp guage not moving can usually be traced to a shared earth in the loom running from he clocks near the headstock needing cleaning up/repairing.
It sounds like the scottoiler is just been set to too high a flow rate & dumped it's load.
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3910
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 1:21 pm

Welcome!

The CB does go well (as you seem to have found out!).

It should be possible to set your scottoiler to a sensible rate that doesn't coat the rear of your bike in oil but does allow enough out to lube the chain.  BTW some people hate scottoilers - personally I don't really care either way - if I did lots of miles I then I can see the point.

The CB500 runs cold (or, at least, the temperature gauge suggest that!) - the gauge only starts to climb above the small white segment after a good while.  It only gets much higher than that on hot days when idling in traffic.  It can be quite difficult to ascertain if it is working correctly.

You should do an 'idling' test on the CB - leave it idling for (at least) 15 or 20 minutes - things should heat up and you should see the temperature gauge moving (if it works!).  When it gets to a bit above half-way (or after about 25 mins of idling, maybe more?) then the fan should cut in.  You also might be able to see the level rise in the expansion tank.  

If the fan doesn't cut in then you might end up with some boiling coolant being shot out of the overflow on the expansion tank.

We normally suggest that if you want to post pictures you upload them somewhere like photobucket and link them into posts from there using [IMG] tags:

Code:

Some text blah blah blah blah

[IMG]http://you_image_url_here.com/picture.jpg/[/IMG]

avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 7:59 pm

@ashcroc wrote:

Welcome,
The temp guage not moving can usually be traced to a shared earth in the loom running from he clocks near the headstock needing cleaning up/repairing.
It sounds like the scottoiler is just been set to too high a flow rate & dumped it's load.



Thanks. I've removed the scotoiler now. There is a small connection running from I think carb to carb and it has a spigot that had a hose running to the scotoiler. I've removed the hoses and reservoir leaving just the three way spigot with one end open. Does it matter? If you can follow what I'm saying! If I could do the photo it would be a lot clearer. I'll try and get pics up.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 8:04 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:Welcome!

The CB does go well (as you seem to have found out!).

It should be possible to set your scottoiler to a sensible rate that doesn't coat the rear of your bike in oil but does allow enough out to lube the chain.  BTW some people hate scottoilers - personally I don't really care either way - if I did lots of miles I then I can see the point.

The CB500 runs cold (or, at least, the temperature gauge suggest that!) - the gauge only starts to climb above the small white segment after a good while.  It only gets much higher than that on hot days when idling in traffic.  It can be quite difficult to ascertain if it is working correctly.

You should do an 'idling' test on the CB - leave it idling for (at least) 15 or 20 minutes - things should heat up and you should see the temperature gauge moving (if it works!).  When it gets to a bit above half-way (or after about 25 mins of idling, maybe more?) then the fan should cut in.  You also might be able to see the level rise in the expansion tank.  

If the fan doesn't cut in then you might end up with some boiling coolant being shot out of the overflow on the expansion tank.

We normally suggest that if you want to post pictures you upload them somewhere like photobucket and link them into posts from there using
Code:

Some text blah blah blah blah

[IMG]http://you_image_url_here.com/picture.jpg/[/IMG]

Much appreciated. I'll test it out idling tomorrow. And see if I can post some pics. By God, does this bike need some fettling.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 8:09 pm


Nope, that didn't work...
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 8:28 pm

Damn. Thought I'd cracked it. Three along to the left from the YouTube symbol in the text box is where you upload photos from your documents. II uploaded a file and then there's a button saying 'host it' at the bottom. It doesn't do anything when I click. 
I've tried the other ways and have copy and pasted the URL from flikr into the address box too and all that happens is a small box shows, but no photos.
avatar
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!
Posts : 1505
Location : London

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by ashcroc on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 9:24 pm

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:
@ashcroc wrote:

Welcome,
The temp guage not moving can usually be traced to a shared earth in the loom running from he clocks near the headstock needing cleaning up/repairing.
It sounds like the scottoiler is just been set to too high a flow rate & dumped it's load.




Thanks. I've removed the scotoiler now. There is a small connection running from I think carb to carb and it has a spigot that had a hose running to the scotoiler. I've removed the hoses and reservoir leaving just the three way spigot with one end open. Does it matter? If you can follow what I'm saying! If I could do the photo it would be a lot clearer. I'll try and get pics up.
You'll need to close that off if you want the vacuum to work.
avatar
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Posts : 2315
Location : preston lancs

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by skyrider on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 9:33 pm

Hi wizard enjoy your new ride Smile
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 6:16 am

@ashcroc wrote:

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:


@ashcroc wrote:

Welcome,
The temp guage not moving can usually be traced to a shared earth in the loom running from he clocks near the headstock needing cleaning up/repairing.
It sounds like the scottoiler is just been set to too high a flow rate & dumped it's load.






Thanks. I've removed the scotoiler now. There is a small connection running from I think carb to carb and it has a spigot that had a hose running to the scotoiler. I've removed the hoses and reservoir leaving just the three way spigot with one end open. Does it matter? If you can follow what I'm saying! If I could do the photo it would be a lot clearer. I'll try and get pics up.


You'll need to close that off if you want the vacuum to work.
Do you mean the vacuum for the scotoiler?
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 6:17 am

@skyrider wrote:Hi wizard enjoy your new ride Smile

Thank you! Looking forward to changing this bike into the bike it should be.
avatar
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!
Posts : 1505
Location : London

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by ashcroc on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 6:51 am

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:

@ashcroc wrote:



@TheWizardofOdds wrote:




@ashcroc wrote:

Welcome,
The temp guage not moving can usually be traced to a shared earth in the loom running from he clocks near the headstock needing cleaning up/repairing.
It sounds like the scottoiler is just been set to too high a flow rate & dumped it's load.








Thanks. I've removed the scotoiler now. There is a small connection running from I think carb to carb and it has a spigot that had a hose running to the scotoiler. I've removed the hoses and reservoir leaving just the three way spigot with one end open. Does it matter? If you can follow what I'm saying! If I could do the photo it would be a lot clearer. I'll try and get pics up.




You'll need to close that off if you want the vacuum to work.


Do you mean the vacuum for the scotoiler?

Kinda. You'll either need to block the bit of the T-piece the scottoiler was connected to or better still replace the vacuum tube it was spliced into. It's the main reason why i prefer to hook scottoilers up to the spare vac port on the carbs.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 8:22 am

@ashcroc wrote:

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:



@ashcroc wrote:





@TheWizardofOdds wrote:






@ashcroc wrote:

Welcome,
The temp guage not moving can usually be traced to a shared earth in the loom running from he clocks near the headstock needing cleaning up/repairing.
It sounds like the scottoiler is just been set to too high a flow rate & dumped it's load.










Thanks. I've removed the scotoiler now. There is a small connection running from I think carb to carb and it has a spigot that had a hose running to the scotoiler. I've removed the hoses and reservoir leaving just the three way spigot with one end open. Does it matter? If you can follow what I'm saying! If I could do the photo it would be a lot clearer. I'll try and get pics up.






You'll need to close that off if you want the vacuum to work.




Do you mean the vacuum for the scotoiler?



Kinda. You'll either need to block the bit of the T-piece the scottoiler was connected to or better still replace the vacuum tube it was spliced into. It's the main reason why i prefer to hook scottoilers up to the spare vac port on the carbs.

Any suggestions for how to block it properly?
avatar
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!
Posts : 1505
Location : London

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by ashcroc on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 9:22 am

David Silver sell an OE honda vacuum cap which is meant for the carb port (though there's not listed for the cb500 strangely enough) but should fitthe T-piece.
A quick search of Honda vacuum cap on ebay has thrown up several other options which all seem more expensive.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 11:51 am

@ashcroc wrote:David Silver sell an OE honda vacuum cap which is meant for the carb port (though there's not listed for the cb500 strangely enough) but should fitthe T-piece.
A quick search of Honda vacuum cap on ebay has thrown up several other options which all seem more expensive.

I can only see one on eBay for a fiver but the cb500 isn't in the list but looks like it might be OK. What would happen if I rode the bike without the cap?
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3910
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 12:43 pm

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:
What would happen if I rode the bike without the cap?

Your bike will explode and your bins won't get collected :)

Possibly more of a concern is the vacuum fuel tap - if it doesn't get enough vacuum then it will be all/partially switched off, which will quickly lead to problems. Also having an 'air leak' after the carbs won't help the bike to run smoothly...

If you want to fix it then buy some 3mm(?) inside diameter silicon rubber vacuum hose and connect it between the inlet-spigot and the vacuum connection on the fuel tap.

If you want a quick fix then just fold the open end of the host over onto itself and secure it with a large paper clip or a bit of wire twisted around it or some other fixing.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 2:47 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:
What would happen if I rode the bike without the cap?



Your bike will explode and your bins won't get collected Smile

Possibly more of a concern is the vacuum fuel tap - if it doesn't get enough vacuum then it will be all/partially switched off, which will quickly lead to problems.  Also having an 'air leak' after the carbs won't help the bike to run smoothly...

If you want to fix it then buy some 3mm(?) inside diameter silicon rubber vacuum hose and connect it between the inlet-spigot and the vacuum connection on the fuel tap.

If you want a quick fix then just fold the open end of the host over onto itself and secure it with a large paper clip or  a bit of wire twisted around it or some other fixing.

Heheh. Yeah, can you tell I'm new to this?

Thanks, best to check just to be sure. Ordered my Haynes manual so have no excuse now. 

I'll nick into halfords on the way home see if they have any of these rubber caps, you never know.
avatar
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!
Posts : 1505
Location : London

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by ashcroc on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:22 pm

There's a download of the Haynes manual here for while you're waiting for your hard copy to arrive.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 297
Location : Moffat

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 6:28 pm

@ashcroc wrote:There's a download of the Haynes manual here for while you're waiting for your hard copy to arrive.

Lovely stuff, thanks ashcroc.
avatar
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Posts : 2315
Location : preston lancs

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by skyrider on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 7:18 pm

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:

@skyrider wrote:Hi wizard enjoy your new ride Smile



Thank you! Looking forward to changing this bike into the bike it should be.

no problem enjoy Very Happy

Sponsored content

Re: Got my CB500S today

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Sun 21 Oct 2018, 6:15 pm