Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

First ride today.

trophydave
Godly
Godly

First ride today.

Post by trophydave on Sat 26 Sep 2015, 9:38 pm

I bought my 2000 CB500 back in febuary but thanks to Carole Nash wanting 86 quid to add it to my insurance it has been on Sorn until now.In the meantime I have bought a few bits of folks on the forum and have done a few odd jobs on the bike.Anyway,first impressions.Its small,feels like a moped after my Triumph Tiger which is an enormous thing.The suspension is hard,the standard shocks were on max pre-load,I wound them off to the mid setting when I got home.The seat is pretty firm as well,saying that,the Tigers is too soft.I have stripped and sonic cleaned the carbs,the bike ticks over well but isnt what you would call smooth until at least 3000 rpm.Perhaps a carb balance would help or are they all like that?There is also a rumbling from the bottom end that goes away when you pull the clutch in,usually a sign that its carb balancing time.Handling seems good,it has unworn but five year old BT45s fitted so I took it steady today.I havent had a naked bike since the early 90s,the wind pressure came as a bit of a shock so perhaps a small screen would be a good idea.Now its time to get some miles on the bike to get a proper idea of what its like.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: First ride today.

Post by sullivj on Sat 26 Sep 2015, 9:49 pm

They're all a bit dull and rattly below 3k.

The clutches all rattle a bit too. Not Ducatti rattle, but noticeable.

Sounds like yours is normal to me!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 26 Sep 2015, 9:53 pm

What are they charging for the pair. I've mine through Adrian Flux and it's £132 for the Tiger and the CB500. Is that reasonable? Insurance is usually much higher here than in the rest of the UK.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 26 Sep 2015, 9:53 pm

It didnt cost me anything extra to add my cb to my policy with my 96 blade maybe its time to change insurance company. I am with carole nash (6 plus years no claims, near Sad 40 ,  married) 300 euro 3pft enjoy cb Very Happy
Sorry ur with carole nash doh Twisted Evil

Last edited by wornsprokets on Sat 26 Sep 2015, 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sat 26 Sep 2015, 9:56 pm

Carb sync and other bits of maintenance, plus just giving it some good miles, will make no end of difference. Look forward to hearing what you think of it once you've covered a few miles and it's come back to life a bit more.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 12:53 pm

Glad to hear you managed to get out on your CB!

The clutch rattling *is* the clutch - it can get worse if the carbs are a long way out of balance - but it doesn't usually cause a problem, other than to the ears of the listener.

A small screen can make things better at when travelling at speed.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 1:02 pm

All sounds normal to me ! I've found that bikes that have been stood for a while loosen up a lot after a few rides. I'd be giving it a couple of hundred miles then checking it over/sorting anything that still bothers you, then just riding it. Certainly a bit different to the Tiger.

atb

muttley1

Btw if you still aren't too sure post where you are and perhaps you can compare with someone elses cb5?
trophydave
Godly
Godly

Post by trophydave on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 7:27 pm

I got out for a ride again today.Since last weekend I have bodged on an unknown Givi screen,it looks a bit too vertical but works well at keeping the wind off.The bike seems to be running well and I want to put it on my 50 mile round trip commute before we get into the winter.One thing I did notice is the forks use about half of their travel just pushing it off the stand and by the time I sit on it there is hardly any left to deal with bumps.Further investigation needed.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 8:34 pm

New fork springs and heavier fork oil , maybe,
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 04 Oct 2015, 6:51 am

How heavy are you? Also, what rear shocks? The showa are soft compared to the Hagons, is the general consensus iirc.
trophydave
Godly
Godly

Post by trophydave on Sun 04 Oct 2015, 7:00 am

I'm 14 stone so no racing snake.The bikes only done 18k miles,it's still on the original Showa shocks.New fork springs and oil makes sense but cash is a bit tight right now,I might try some spacers in the forks to preload the springs a little.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 04 Oct 2015, 10:23 am

You're about the same weight as me then. Iirc, when I role the bike off the main stand (say, to shift in / out the garage etc.), there's a thin line of dirt about half way up the stanchion - so I think yours is maybe about right. Also, I'm pretty sure mine compresses to about halfway once I'm sat on it. Again, suggesting that yours might not be too far out.

I find that the front end can, erm, jostle a bit when cornering at speed on a slightly uneven surface - however it always feels like it sorts itself out almost immediately, with a very manageable degree of underdamping. Whereas through the same bend my w650 can get a bit more confuzzled, even if its lower CoG feels better on entry (bracketing my slight fear of the pegs decking, i.e.). I also find the Kawasaki's rear suspension less plush after an hour or so. It's a shame I don't have more to compare the 500's suspension to - I have ridden other bikes such as the CB600f, NC750x, GSXR600, Buell, MT03 - but couldn't say I've got to know them. Especially the Buell, which was just a quick blast.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 04 Oct 2015, 11:49 am

My cb has 34k and i am about 15 stone, front forks seem fine but i think in general honda showa suspensions are not great and soft from the start, its about getting right suspenson settings and maybe heaver fork oil and new fork springs. These bikes are old now and fork oil should be changed every few years could be having an effect
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 04 Oct 2015, 2:26 pm

Fwiw, I love the rear Showa SAs. They're very comfy but good enough to stand a bit of chucking around. Mine are still working like they always have at 45k. Although the OS one seems to be pitted in a way the NS one isn't. But, knowing they're prone to corrosion, I keep them clean and give 'em a bit of TLC here and there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 1:58 pm